TheRealAssassinFromDeep12
Sourec

Is analog audio better than digital audio?

Started: 4/16/2015 Category: Music

TheRealAssassinFromDeep12

Pro

I believe that analog audio is better than digital, not based upon the sound quality. But based upon the fact that analog audio is a continuous recording of sound the way that it is. Sure there is some editing in the studio, but that comes with all recordings. The fact that analog is a recording of sound as one continuous stream of noise i feel is better than a recording that is based upon wavelengths and graphs.
Sourec

Con

I accept your challenge and look forward to the debate. I'd like to ask for one concession though, and that is that we consider Wikipedia to be a valid source (generally speaking, it's on-par with and often above the level of standard print encyclopedias) It works well for both of us, because you get to use it too.

Analogue recordings aren't all that different from digital recordings. As you mentioned, analogue is a continuous stream, but that actually has its disadvantages, mainly that analogue systems have far more noise than their digital counterparts [1]. Digital signal handling does still rely on the same basic components though - we still represent sounds as waves, and record positions along the wave at specific intervals [2], which is called sampling.. This lets you both increase or decrease the quality fairly easily and store the audio in a much more efficient format.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org...
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org...
TheRealAssassinFromDeep12

Pro

TheRealAssassinFromDeep12 forfeited this round.
Sourec

Con

Sourec forfeited this round.
TheRealAssassinFromDeep12

Pro

Sourec

Con

Sourec forfeited this round.
Posted by Diqiucun_Cunmin 1 year ago
Diqiucun_Cunmin
If TBR doesn't take this debate, I'll be willing to accept it.
Posted by Diqiucun_Cunmin 1 year ago
Diqiucun_Cunmin
That's about quality, right? Distorting the sound.
Posted by TheRealAssassinFromDeep12 1 year ago
TheRealAssassinFromDeep12
Back in the day when recording was still fairly new and even throughout the 80's and 90's, recording was done in the analog form; records, tapes, 8-tracks, etc. Those are not the best ways of preserving the sound because records warp and tapes can deteriorate, and thus affecting the sound. However, i think that the analog style of recording was and is a better way of recording sound overall. Some bands that record digital have had problems. the sound gets compressed and often distorts the sound.
Posted by Diqiucun_Cunmin 1 year ago
Diqiucun_Cunmin
*even if he weren't
Posted by Diqiucun_Cunmin 1 year ago
Diqiucun_Cunmin
@DonKey73: I think the instigator meant storing audio in analogue form is better than doing it in digital form. I'm sure he's aware that digital sound waves are converted into analogue to be audible, and even if he didn't, I don't really think it affects the debate.

@TBR: TBH, I'd be willing to take this debate even if he argued quality, personally, since the resolution simply said 'better', so it's possible to argue from other perspectives.
Posted by DonKey73 1 year ago
DonKey73
This looks like a bad idea for a debate since it is either not clearly spelled out, or shows misunderstanding of the subject. All sound/vibration that can be sensed by our 5 senses, IS ANALOG, period.

Our bodies perceive sound/vibration thru mechanical means, and these means are always analog.
(speakers, headphones, vibrating objects around us)

So I guess the winner of this debate would be PRO/YES, analog is "better" because it is impossible for us to hear "digital sound" without also hearing analog.
Posted by TBR 1 year ago
TBR
Yea, I read again. You sure look like you are arguing quality. If not, is quality is not a factor, I would take this.
Posted by Diqiucun_Cunmin 1 year ago
Diqiucun_Cunmin
'The fact that analog is a recording of sound as one continuous stream of noise i feel is better than a recording that is based upon wavelengths and graphs.' Doesn't that boil down to quality after all? (Just asking, not challenging what you said)
Posted by TBR 1 year ago
TBR
I don't think there is anything to argue on this point.