DarkDebate
CosmoJarvis

Is anime a bad thing?

DarkDebate

DarkDebate

Con

Hi, I'd like to start my own debate about whether anime (Japanese animation) is a bad thing. I've read up on both sides and I happen to watch anime myself, personally I do not think it is a bad thing.
What do you think?
Should it be banned? Why? Is it a good thing? Why?
I'd love to here different peoples opinions, thank you.
CosmoJarvis

Pro

I've got my sexy anime body pillow, and my weaboo glasses. I'm ready to debate against anime.
DarkDebate

Con

Ok. Wait, by saying you have a body pillow and stereotypical weeb glasses, are you saying you're FOR anime, because I am for anime XD

It's a form of entertainment, genres vary so it is a good way of getting young and old minds to think.
The plots are just amazing also
CosmoJarvis

Pro

Now, I think anime is pretty good. It's enjoyable, and I spent a fair amount of time watching it as a kid, specifically Studio Ghibli. But I do believe that, because of the lack of censorship and such, there have been some animes that are downright perverted and disgusting. For example, I was on a forum one day, back when I was a total weaboo and all, and I asked "What anime should I watch? I want to watch an action-packed, entertaining anime!" The first reply was "Watch Boku No Picu." I watched the first episode, then proceeded to drink bleach.

Also, I'd like to bring in a person I know as an example. Let's call her "Jane." Jane was a huge weaboo. I swear, she must have had inappropriate anime body pillows and smutty photos of anime characters on her room. In 7th grade, she made some inappropriate fanfiction on anime about Black Butler: a romance between a teacher and a student.

I believe anime is entertaining and fun, but I also believe a fair amount of the anime genre is extremely inappropriate. The fact that smutty anime body pillows is being mass produced and sold regularly should be alarming.
DarkDebate

Con

(Good argument :D )

I agree with you on the smutty side of anime, half of it is really gross and revolting but at the end of the day -
So is pornography, anime isn't the only thing with disgusting merchandise and shows.
A lot of the more popular anime isn't in any way disgusting, and judging by the age range that MOST (most not all) people watch anime, hormones etc play a huge part in why these types of anime exist.
I'm sure in Japan it's quite normal to watch those kinds of things, culture is also an influence here.

Yes, I totally agree that it's disgusting, it can be avoided though and the hard work and effort
that the animators put into the safe and entertaining anime are really amazing to watch.
Not to mention the genres too, there's practically something for everyone;
romance, thriller, horror, action and then the specific anime genres like slice of life, etc..

I am aware that some adults (creepy weirdos sorry it must be said) watch the not-so-safe anime
and I know that when people ask for suggestions some pop up, the same thing happened to friends of mine..
but to be honest they can be avoided and if someone gets a Japanese title they can look up the anime
itself or what the title means in their language and not have to put themselves through watching it.

I actually think (and this is probably a minority opinion here but oh well) that some
anime are actually useful for many other things besides entertainment, they can teach us about
other cultures, people, language, and many more and I think anime isn't a bad thing because of this.
CosmoJarvis

Pro

To be honest, I can agree with your points: some anime is entertaining, and people can discover a new-found appreciation for other cultures. I will not refute that.

However, I would like to expand upon my previous argument.

When I was an anime nerd (thankfully, I have been entered into rehabilitation and I have been clean from anime for a few weeks now), I watched a ton of anime. I even did an all-nighter watching a wee bit of Ouran Highschool (I have regretted it ever since). Thankfully, I have not fallen into the devistating pit of weaboo-ness. I am all for people appreciating other cultures. But weaboos do not just appreciate cultures. Weaboos want to live in that little anime world they think is Japan. People sometimes buy body pillows, and make smutty fan art and fanfictions too. Maybe it's those large anime eyes, or the young sexualized girls, or the booming colors, or maybe the subliminal messages hidden in animes calling for the destruction of the United States, but I believe that anime is dangerous for those susceptible to obsessing over anime.

But there is a simple solution to change that. I do not call for the censorship or ban of anime in America. I call for the destruction of anime. Bring in those huge fighter jets, America, we're going to war. Yes, that's right: war. We're going to bomb all of those animator studios. You know what? We're actually going to bomb all of Japan. Bring in 20 nuclear missiles. We're blowing this anime-fest off of the face of this world.
DarkDebate

Con

That was the most entertaining thing I've ever read. Thank you :D

There we go straight to the weeaboo stuff. Weeaboos also want to BE Japanese, I get that aspect..
Then you have Otakus, who are just anime fans ranging from 'just a bit' to 'yeah anime is life'.

I think anime provides an escape from reality, like you said, some people want to be in their favourite
anime, is that really that bad? I can think of movies and TV shows that people want to actually BE in as well.
Yeah sexualising young girls and the eyes are definitely key to some of their success.

I consider myself to be quite an anime fan, it's not my life, I just like a few so I'm not a weeaboo
and I'm sure someone like that wouldn't be debating - don't worry, I'm not biased here.

By bombing Japan, you're getting rid of a lot of other things besides anime. People, technology, inventions
(I know China is the leader of all new tech but Japan plays a huge role). Do you really want to bomb Japan,
apart from getting rid of anime what will that REALLY achieve? Also they already were bombed by that awful
president who's name somehow has managed to escape me.. Truman I think...
Bombed Nagasaki and Hiroshima (I'm not a weeaboo we briefly covered it in History once)
Also if Japan does exist, anime still will. Just look at America, they love some anime like Attack on Titan
for example. Other countries also make anime (few but they still exist) and what about the already existing
anime? That isn't going to disappear just because Japan's gone.

I like Ouran Highschool host club XD don't hate me, I just like it.
Don't get me wrong, if you did bomb Japan I would still go on living, quite happily
and all... I am no weeb.

Anime can entertain so many different kinds of people, since the genres are so varied
it's tough not to find at least 1 someone would like.
CosmoJarvis

Pro

No.
Wipe Japan off of the face of the Earth.
DarkDebate

Con

Next argument:

Anime can also be informative about a lot of different subjects, it teaches
people about relationships, friendships, Japan, people, art styles, and of course the
fiction side of things.
CosmoJarvis

Pro

I have an idea.
Let's take Japan, and throw it into space.
We get like a thousand helicopters, hook them onto Japan, and fly into space, carrying Japan with it.
And then send a nuclear missile to space to destroy Japan
Posted by CosmoJarvis 1 year ago
CosmoJarvis
Boku No Picu is an amazing anime. Everyone should watch it.
Vote Placed by paintballvet18 1 year ago
paintballvet18
DarkDebateCosmoJarvisTied
Reasons for voting decision: Cosmojarvis was probably doing this as a joke... But my vote against him isn't one sadly.
Vote Placed by Agonist 1 year ago
Agonist
DarkDebateCosmoJarvisTied
Reasons for voting decision: A joke by the Contender, but the Instigator deserves the due points for the debate.
Vote Placed by Hylian_3000 1 year ago
Hylian_3000
DarkDebateCosmoJarvisTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct: Both had equal conduct through the entire debate S&G: No distracting spelling or grammar issues Arguments: Good debate... Until Round 3. Con remained reasonable during the debate, while Pro went on a very weird and illogical branch of arguments. Con brings up good points about why we shouldn't bomb Japan, while Pro keeps stating his crazy statements. The reason why I'm not judging based on previous statements, is because Con refuted them and Pro didn't respond to them in the 4th round, leaving him with no arguments left except the crazy one. He still could've had a chance to win if he logically explained his argument that we should bomb Japan, but he didn't. Sources: No sources used. Comments: Don't stray into the land of radical arguments without having a good reason and explanation, stay on topic and keep your arguments well protected and in play.