Ijawabi
PowerPikachu21

Is anime bad

Started: 6/9/2017 Category: Economics

PowerPikachu21

Pro

This was a personal challenge to me.

Anyways, anime is bad because there's too many insanely powerful characters. It's all boring.
Ijawabi

Con

While I agree with you that, in many anime, there are very many "overpowered" characters, that usually just comes with genres involving action. I, myself, am more attracted to anime revolving around comedy, romance, and slice-of-life, and can testify that many characters in these anime are not, and are perhaps aren't even capable of ever becoming "overpowered."

Perhaps the question covers... too broad a topic. When one asks "is anime bad," everyone immediately thinks of one answer or another; yes or no. But nobody really thinks to say... "No, anime is not INHERENTLY bad," or "Yes, anime is not INHERENTLY good." With animation, one can do... most anything, really. It's impossible to say that an entire country's form of animation is bad. That's like saying "all ice cream is good." While people do tend to enjoy MOST types of ice cream, we all have those flavors that we don't like.

But I digress. Let's get back to the topic at hand. Back when anime was first introduced outside of Japan, it was more or less the closest thing to "adult" animation you could get. Back then there was no Rick and Morty, Hank of the Hill, Archer, or anything like that. The topics in anime were as adult as you could get back then. Violence. Nudity. Cool, exciting, fast-paced visuals, something you just couldn't get with western animation.

Even today anime is some of the most interesting and diverse animation there is. It covers a much wider range of topics and genres than any other form of animation. It's fairly easy to access online, and if you aren't into piracy, you can still get a very wide range of anime on Netflix, and an even wider range on Crunchyroll.

Sure, there are a lot of bad anime. Anime where all the budget was put into t i t t y , anime with little to no real story line, anime that just... won't stop shipping those siblings... but this doesn't mean that all anime's bad. Most anime's... pretty good.
PowerPikachu21

Pro

So why is anime good, exactly?

Cross Examination:

"I, myself, am more attracted to anime revolving around comedy, romance, and slice-of-life, and can testify that many characters in these anime are not, and are perhaps aren't even capable of ever becoming "overpowered." "

Lots of anime have very powerful characters, like Dragon Ball Z, Hunter X Hunter, stuff like that. But while not all animes are like that, that doesn't mean it's good just because the skill levels are balanced. Anime is bad in other ways as well.

"Perhaps the question covers... too broad a topic. When one asks "is anime bad," everyone immediately thinks of one answer or another; yes or no."

Isn't that what we're trying to conclude? You can't just change the resolution, just so you know. As far as we're concerned, I'm arguing that (most) anime is bad.

"But nobody really thinks to say... "No, anime is not INHERENTLY bad," or "Yes, anime is not INHERENTLY good." "

How does this differ from "anime is good/bad", exactly? And it kind of seems like you're shifting the Burden of Proof here.

"With animation, one can do... most anything, really. It's impossible to say that an entire country's form of animation is bad."

It is bad. I mean, Fairy Tail is overly silly, and One Piece is just a bunch of pirates.

"But I digress. Let's get back to the topic at hand. Back when anime was first introduced outside of Japan, it was more or less the closest thing to "adult" animation you could get."

Anime, by definition, is a cartoon that came from Japan. You can't have anime that comes outside of Japan. That's called fake anime. [https://www.merriam-webster.com...]

And the adult anime isn't something I'd watch. Especially if it's explicit content. It's bad because it's inappropriate, and kids wouldn't enjoy it.

"Even today anime is some of the most interesting and diverse animation there is. It covers a much wider range of topics and genres than any other form of animation."

Such as...? If you give me an anime, I can guarantee that there's a reason I won't like it.

"Sure, there are a lot of bad anime. Anime where all the budget was put into t i t t y , anime with little to no real story line, anime that just... won't stop shipping those siblings... but this doesn't mean that all anime's bad. Most anime's... pretty good."

An euphimism (a polite way to say something) for that would be "jugs". Also, you concede that there are lots of bad anime. But what anime do you like? I'd be glad to show the audience why anime should be ignored.

Argument:

Here are some anime that I've heard of, and why you shouldn't like them:

Pokemon Sun/Moon: They turned Lillie from a caring girl who protects Nebby (a pokemon) and wants to rescue her mother from another dimension, to "I theorize I can only touch pokemon if I want to!".

Naruto: Too much ninja stuff. (To be honest, I haven't watched Naruto since I was 5 years old. I barely remember anything.)

Yo-kai Watch: We got a lazy red cat, a kid who's 'completely average' as the show mentions several times, and a ghost butler who needs Google to know anything. What would you expect?
Ijawabi

Con

Well it seems that all the anime you've watched is rather... mainstream. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but mainstream anime is... very different from most of what I've watched. Let's see...

I agree with you that an overpowered character isn't the only bad thing in anime. Like I said, there's a lot of anime with next to no story, too much... *ahem*... Jugs, and... incest. But that doesn't mean anime is bad. There are good anime with bad qualities, and vice versa. You can't just say "this anime has THIS wrong thing" and dismiss the whole anime. Of course, if the whole anime is centered around that bad thing you can, but... Mm.

I shouldn't have tried to change the question entirely. That was my bad, and I apologize.

What I meant by inherently bad/good, is "is the majority of anime bad/good." Because, as I've said, we can't judge the animation of an entire country.

"overly silly" and "just a bunch of pirates" are... two very impotent descriptions for these two anime. While I personally haven't watched them, I'm sure there's more to Fairy Tail than just a ton of kids goofing off, and I'm sure there's more to One Piece than "just a bunch of pirates."

By "back when anime was first introduced outside of Japan" I meant when Japanese animation was being played on western channels. Sorry, guess I should've clarified. And no, I'm not suggesting you go watch explicit anime, and I'm not saying the adult content is what makes anime special, I was simply stating that it had more... adult themes than normal animation. I meant like... The action was more intense than something Disney would make. The comedy was much better played out than something like Beavis and Butthead. And yes, there are going to be some... sexual themes, but if you know how to avoid them, you'll... likely be alright.

Okay so, you want me to give you some anime? Some... diverse, unlike what you can get from western animation anime? Let's go then. By category...
Romance: Love, Chuunibyou and Other Delusions, Toradora, Space Patrol Luluco, Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun

Mecha: (I don't watch mecha anime so nothing here but just imagine like giant robots)

Fantasy: Konosuba, No Game No Life, Seven Deadly Sins, Musaigen no Phantom World

Slice of Life: D-frag, The Devil is a Part-Timer, Lucky Star, Love, Chuunibyou and Other Delusions, Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid, New Game

Ecchi: (This is basically where all the "jugs" come in, so I suggest you don't)

Psychology: (I have not watched a psychology anime but imagine an anime that just gets you to FREAK OUT)

Sci-Fi: K, Space Patrol Luluco, Danganronpa (I guess?)

Adventure: Magi, No Game No Life, Space Patrol Luluco, Konosuba

Magic: Magi, The Irregular at Magic Highschool, K, Musaigen no Phantom World

And those aren't even all the genres. Now of course I don't expect you to watch all of these in three days, but I dunno, you wanted a list of recommendations....

Anime is a... very vast art. You can't judge all anime based on what you've seen. Yes, as we've both stated time and time again, bad anime does exist, but I believe... I believe that it's not all bad. I believe that the good anime is in the... very large silent majority. I'll take your word for it, the mainstream anime is probably as bad as you say it is, but once you go beneath that top layer of Naruto, DBZ and Pokemon, you'll find a wonderful world of anime, waiting to be watched and enjoyed.
PowerPikachu21

Pro

This is the final round. Time to wrap this up.

Cross Examination:

"Well it seems that all the anime you've watched is rather... mainstream. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but mainstream anime is... very different from most of what I've watched. Let's see..."

Well, it's been a long time since I watched an anime, and everybody knows about Naruto and Dragon Ball Z.

"I agree with you that an overpowered character isn't the only bad thing in anime. Like I said, there's a lot of anime with next to no story, too much... *ahem*... Jugs, and... incest. But that doesn't mean anime is bad."

It means those animes shouldn't continue, and that counts.

"There are good anime with bad qualities, and vice versa. You can't just say "this anime has THIS wrong thing" and dismiss the whole anime. Of course, if the whole anime is centered around that bad thing you can, but... Mm."

Uh huh. But what makes the anime good?

"I shouldn't have tried to change the question entirely. That was my bad, and I apologize."

Thanks. Now back to the debate...

"What I meant by inherently bad/good, is "is the majority of anime bad/good." Because, as I've said, we can't judge the animation of an entire country."

It would be pretty hard to do reviews of all anime ever created. But I do believe there's reason to dislike any anime.

""overly silly" and "just a bunch of pirates" are... two very impotent descriptions for these two anime. While I personally haven't watched them, I'm sure there's more to Fairy Tail than just a ton of kids goofing off, and I'm sure there's more to One Piece than "just a bunch of pirates.""

Such as...? If there's no reason for me to like an anime, then I won't like it.

"I was simply stating that it had more... adult themes than normal animation. I meant like... The action was more intense than something Disney would make. The comedy was much better played out than something like Beavis and Butthead."

Sometimes lighthearted humor is good for us. Too much action in 20 minutes can leave a viewer in complete shock, and maybe give you a heart attack if it's enough to do so.

"Okay so, you want me to give you some anime? Some... diverse, unlike what you can get from western animation anime? Let's go then."

... That's a lot of anime. I'll cover some of those in my next Argument section.

"And those aren't even all the genres. Now of course I don't expect you to watch all of these in three days, but I dunno, you wanted a list of recommendations...."

I wouldn't say "recommendations", but I did ask. And you delivered!

"Anime is a... very vast art. You can't judge all anime based on what you've seen."

I can judge what I have seen. And honestly, you shouldn't expect me to have watched EVERY anime.

"Yes, as we've both stated time and time again, bad anime does exist, but I believe... I believe that it's not all bad. I believe that the good anime is in the... very large silent majority."

Are you sure about that? You're not sounding very confident in that response. How are these animes good?

"I'll take your word for it, the mainstream anime is probably as bad as you say it is, but once you go beneath that top layer of Naruto, DBZ and Pokemon, you'll find a wonderful world of anime, waiting to be watched and enjoyed."

Thanks for admitting my argument is correct. But we'll see what I can dig up for how some of your animes are bad.

Argument:

I haven't watched these animes, so I'm not sure how to go about judging them. I looked up Space Patrol Luluco, and it doesn't seem to have had a long run time, lasting 13 episodes. But I'm thinking about watching some of your list in my spare time.

Anyways, I'm not sure if the animes will actually be good or not by just looking at wiki pages and screenshots. I actually need a reason to like it. I've already shared some I personally know (I've watched Yo-kai Watch and the first episode of Pokemon Sun/Moon), and why they would be considered bad. As far as I'm concerned, I've fulfilled my Burden of Proof whereas Pro didn't seem to do a whole lot.

Ultimately, it's the voters' choice on who wins this debate. I wish my opponent the best of luck.
Posted by PowerPikachu21 6 months ago
PowerPikachu21
Otaku is "a young person who is obsessed with computers or particular aspects of popular culture to the detriment of their social skills". So fun fact: I'm an otaku; I spend too much time on the computer!
Posted by PowerPikachu21 6 months ago
PowerPikachu21
Posted by jc1996 6 months ago
jc1996
My 15-year old brother is an otaku addict. He loves it so much that he literally boasts himself and he pitted me with very derogatory words. Also, he made threats to kill me. With that, I made my conclusion that otaku is too much to be an addiction and I side with the Con side. Sorry, Cedric, but your otaku addiction ends here whether you like it or not.
Posted by jc1996 6 months ago
jc1996
Posted by jc1996 6 months ago
jc1996
Posted by PowerPikachu21 6 months ago
PowerPikachu21
If sources given are only for providing definitions, I usually don't provide Source points.
Posted by whiteflame 6 months ago
whiteflame
*******************************************************************
>Reported vote: John_C_1812// Mod action: Removed<

5 points to Pro (Arguments, Sources). Reasons for voting decision: Pro had expressed self-doubt about the wording chosen for the debate. Both Pro and Con argue the morality of anime and agree to much of what is seen as proper and improper. I could be mistake but only pro actual cited any source. Con describing anime but did not cite the source of the information other than personal experience. Showing my age with this anime list. Tobor the 8th man, kimba, Mach GoGoGo-speed racer, Marine boy, dragonball, dragonballZ, ghost I the shell, Akira, Fullmetal Alchmist. All are connected to undertones of Buddhism and Taoism in many ways making it a little hard to see hidden meanings of these religious messages as they are reflected in the anime. It was a very close debate and both sides did very well. This debate was overall a pleasure to read and vote on. Great job to both of you.

[*Reason for removal*] (1) There's no clear reason for any argument-based decision here. The voter points to a lack of sources from Con, but only says that the debate was close and that there were points of agreement. There's a point about undertones, but that appears to be entirely the voter's own view on the topic and how it relates to anime that they know. There's no direct comparison of arguments given in this RFD, which is required (at least to some degree) for a vote that awards argument points. (2) Sources are insufficiently explained. Even if only one side provided sources, the voter is still required to explain how those sources were reliable (i.e. relevant to the debate).
************************************************************************
Posted by PowerPikachu21 7 months ago
PowerPikachu21
No worries. As long as there's a way to ague for or against something, I'll do it.
Posted by Ijawabi 7 months ago
Ijawabi
I'd like to thank PowerPikachu21 for participating in this debate with me. I'm pretty new to this site; this is actually my first debate on it, so... thanks. It's been a pleasure arguing with you. Sorry for kinda... roping you into it against your will.
Posted by Ijawabi 7 months ago
Ijawabi