rethaluious
Xxmeagainxx

Is anime better than American cartoons?

rethaluious

rethaluious

Pro

I will be on the pro side, I will be arguing about why anime is better than any other cartoons out there. Anyone who accepts this challenge shall be my opponent, but I expect a good fight, no trolling or anything.

We'll prove our sides, but on the first round, no arguments yet, final round is going to be a conclusion and stuff.

A handshake to someone who would be accepting this debate, and good luck to the both of us.

This is in the entertainment category, so let us all have fun.
Xxmeagainxx

Con

The pros about American cartoons it grabs the audience attention and really makes them laugh hard. As an American I surely enjoy their cartoons especially from walt Disney and the good things is that I like it and also the toddlers and babies and they wouldn't like anime for no reason. I watch some anime and that is too not discriptive than Micky mouse
rethaluious

Pro

I thank you for accepting this debate.

First of all, let us know what anime is.

"Anime (|50;|91;}13;?, [anE0;ime] ( listen)); are Japanese animated productions featuring hand-drawn or computer animation. The word is the abbreviated pronunciation of "animation" in Japanese, where this term references all animation.[1] In other languages, the term is defined as animation from Japan or as a Japanese-disseminated animation style often characterized by colorful graphics, vibrant characters and fantastic themes.[2][3] Arguably, the stylization approach to the meaning may open up the possibility of anime produced in countries other than Japan.[4][5][6] For simplicity, many Westerners strictly view anime as an animation product from Japan.[3]"

-From the Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anime characters have real personality that make them relatable, they also really care about other people. For example, Goku who trains really hard to be strong in order to protect his friends and family even at one point he decides not to be brought back to life with the dragon balls fearing his revival would only attract more danger.

While most american cartoons are funny, most top Anime have the action and thriller. Of course some anime have this humor category also. I am a fan of american cartoons too, especially Spongebob Squarepants.

I also adore the distinct facial expressions in anime. Wide variation in physical characteristics. Physical features of characters are, on the whole, closer to reality than cartoons.

Out of curiosity, have you seen any anime yet?

Another: Anime concentrates mostly on life issues or things tied closer to human emotion and has more violent and sexual themes. While cartoons on the other hand, they have this humor but it's mostly designed for kids.
Xxmeagainxx

Con

Not a problem accepting this debate question
As you mentioned it I will tell you the definition of American cartoon
A cartoon is a form of two-dimensional illustrated visual art. While the specific definition has changed over time, modern usage refers to a typically non-realistic or semi-realistic drawing or painting intended for satire, caricature, or humor, or to the artistic style of such works. An artist who creates cartoons is called a cartoonist.

The concept originated in the Middle Ages and first described a preparatory drawing for a piece of art, such as a painting, fresco, tapestry, or stained glass window. In the 19th century, it came to refer to humorous illustrations in magazines and newspapers, and in the early 20th century and onward it referred to comic strips and animated films.
-got from Wikipedia-
As far as I know anime does have humor but the American cartoons have been really famouse and in the American cultures for years. Every day a kid is looking forward for a cartoon for example: looney tunes. Anime is not like that. You have to wait awhile and even weeks. In my childhood every Saturday I would go to church and miss the American cartoon but now they show it everyday! Now your turn good luck!
rethaluious

Pro

"but the American cartoons have been really famouse and in the American cultures for years."
I have known so much cartoons out there since I was still a year old. A show is not measured just because it lasted for years.

http://www.imdb.com...

As you can see in this page, this anime was very successful. It won a number of awards, as well as viewers all around the world.

"Every day a kid is looking forward for a cartoon for example: looney tunes. Anime is not like that.ou have to wait awhile and even weeks. In my childhood every Saturday I would go to church and miss the American cartoon but now they show it everyday!"

They just repeat their past episodes each day. Most cartoons have this humor but it's mostly designed for kids.

While animation coming out of America has improved a lot in the last several years due to Adult Swim and other influences, it's still nowhere near where Japanese animation has managed to go. While cartoons in the US were largely relegated to kiddie fare for so many decades, it made much larger strides in Japan for quite a few reasons, with shows spanning across all demographics and genres. There are exceptions to every rule, though often those exceptions are called anime when they're not (ex. Avatar the Last Air bender). So why is anime superior?

1. Complete Stories
A great number of shows are designed with a beginning, middle and end, telling a complete story in the process. Even when episodic, there are small subplots brought out across the series that tell a larger story in full. While there are a good number of episodic shows that run for years and years (or decades in the case of some of them), by and large shows are meant to run a half season or a full season and tell a story within those confines. That often provides for a tighter script and more engaging show since you know it will have a proper conclusion. ~(credits to mania.com for this wonderful article)

Plus, the action animation makes it really far beyond the western cartoons.

Here are the pictures of some fights (you can already see the epicness just by looking at it)

2. Depth of Character
With the complete story idea in mind, many shows work through actual character growth as it progresses. Many shows have a character that does change, sometimes quickly and sometimes gradually, over the course of it. They come into the show with a fleshed-out past, a past that often intersects with the present to chart them a new future. Whether it's dealing with people trying to live and work in space, find true love in their 20s or dealing with life after the atomic bomb was dropped, the characters provide plenty of ways for the viewer to connect with them.

To support these, I compiled some images that features the great characters with their amazing quotes.

3. Depth of Story
Prevalent in many shows is a sense of issues that are of importance, issues that you won't find in the West for the most part because of the general audience being kids. Social issues are dealt with in pressures of school, intense pressures of being on a sports team, the care of the elderly and so on. The most prominent one, especially from the ’80, is the issues surrounding war and its place within the human experience. Cause and effect, from the political to the soldier on the ground and deep into the effects on civilians, the way anime tackles the concept of war in so many different ways places it above most others.

These are just few of many reasons why most people prefer animes than cartoons. I'm saving it for later rounds. I really assume you haven't experienced the greatness of watching anime. Atleast try to watch just an episode and you'll find yourself waiting for the next. Although it takes days for an episode to be aired on television, believe me, it is going to be worth it.
Xxmeagainxx

Con

Xxmeagainxx forfeited this round.
rethaluious

Pro

Too bad the pictures didn't go well.

And debaters should not forfeit their debates.

Even though you forfeited the last round, I will continue what I had to prove.

-----

Relationships Treated Realistically
Romantic relationships are a rarity in the West but they're a common theme in anime and in all sorts of configurations. Often the shows deal with the pursuit of a relationship, typically in high school, but even these are given such an honest approach and dealt with in terms of emotions and how it impacts them that it can be startling. When the shows deal with older characters, they can become as complicated and as engaging as any Hollywood prime time series that deals in the same. But with a planned start and finish, the relationships often actually progress somewhere and deal with the ups and downs, leaving you with a sense of closure.

Even When It’s for Children, It’s Not for Children
Some shows that are brought over specifically for TV syndication here invariably end up edited. We're talking your Pokemon, your Sailor Moon and your Cardcaptor Sakura. All shows that are aimed specifically at young kids, both boys and girls, in Japan. Yet when they're here, they must be toned down and edited because the content is unacceptable for US kids. These shows tackle tough subjects and don't sugarcoat the world completely for kids, something that many find to be a real positive when raising their own kids on anime. Death, divorce, crushes, love and loss are all familiar themes even in kids anime. But that's too much for American kids–unfortunately.

I have seen comments on a site that still focuses on negativity in this kind of topic.

"...Anime is far from superior.

True it takes leaps in the mentioned areas that were explained, but to me it lacks diversity in other forms that makes it stale and generic.

When Akira was released I was inline at the arthouse to see it and was indeed amazed at the story and how it was told..despite the fact i wasn't excactly clear on WHAT WAS BEING TOLD, i enjoyed the ride visually.

But Akira is long past, and nowadays it seems so laborously manufactured in terms of style its starting to show.

The last thing i ever liked Anime wise was Gundam Wing . I was a Dragonball fan for a while till my regard for certain lil racial or american quirks made me rethink that( say what you want, but theres something deeply rooted in aliens that comes to earth and thier true power and potential manifest into a BLONDE HAIRED BLUE EYED powerhouse).

AND the number one trait..the lead characters all look basically the same...and i mean you could switch a character from totally different types of stories and never miss a beat. Guys who drool anime have constantly given me reasons for this and reasons why ethnic diversity are simplified in anime but i dont buy that crap..its who they market to so i guess its not surprising.

Bottom line, maybe at one time anime was out in front of western animation, but in the years of late it suffers from the same traits..oversaturation, lack of diversity, and definitely has more garbage representing the form than gems..but i dont hold that against anime anymore than any other animation...

..but get off the superior kick.."

Again, I just found this comment on a site, and I am not negating my argument whatsoever.

"it lacks diversity in other forms that makes it stale and generic." The 'other forms' here are not mentioned at all, so we'll leave that statement unclear.

"AND the number one trait..the lead characters all look basically the same...and i mean you could switch a character from totally different types of stories and never miss a beat."

First of all anime is not like cartoons at all. Don't expect characters to change looks. If it were to change, it wouldn't be recognized as anime again. They have large eyes, small mouths and noses, and crazy unrealistic kinds of hairstyles. But, if they do not have those, it wouldn't be called 'anime' for nothing.

"...but in the years of late it suffers from the same traits..oversaturation, lack of diversity, and definitely has more garbage representing the form than gems."

And again, they lacked reasons and concepts to prove their statements, so we could only accept this as 'unproved opinion'.

All of the credits go to mania.com.

Never miss this round again, con.
Xxmeagainxx

Con

Xxmeagainxx forfeited this round.
rethaluious

Pro

I extend my arguments.

Ye shall not go against anime anymore.
Xxmeagainxx

Con

Xxmeagainxx forfeited this round.
Posted by DarthVitiosus 2 years ago
DarthVitiosus
Put that death nail into American cartoons....good riddance.
Posted by alphafailed 2 years ago
alphafailed
Is.....con serious???
Posted by Xxmeagainxx 2 years ago
Xxmeagainxx
I think American cartoons are way better than anime because they are for kids and kids enjoy really scripted things and anime is just trash
Posted by Ragnar 2 years ago
Ragnar
Better by what standards of measurement? That will be pretty important to decrease popularity based voting.
Vote Placed by Ragnar 2 years ago
Ragnar
rethaluiousXxmeagainxxTied
Vote Placed by DarthVitiosus 2 years ago
DarthVitiosus
rethaluiousXxmeagainxxTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit.
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
rethaluiousXxmeagainxxTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture