Riferrari
The_Master_Riddler

Is atheism better than Christianity

Riferrari

Riferrari

Pro

Hello, this is my first debate, wish me luck; as the pro I will be defending the idea that atheism is better than Christianity, the con should defend the opposite.

Atheism is growing fast in many countries. The denial of the existence of supernatural beings is not only a non-belief, it is also an attitude of being fearless from them and pursuing the truth. This results in scientific advances, such as the light bulbs that came from Thomas Edison, and in a better sense, since the atheist's purport will be more based on reason, and less based on a specific faith. Now, I won't deny that faith is good, but from far, religion isn't the only key to faith; it won't mean that you will be faithless only because you deny the existence of a god. Christianity, on the other hand, ends up being biased many times towards our own race, one example is the disrespect to homosexuality, which is sad, because many times homosexuality is not optional.
The_Master_Riddler

Con

Thanks for this topic. I am a firm believer and will use this argument to win the debate.

My opponent says, " Now, I won't deny that faith is good,".
He then says, "atheist's purport will be more based on reason, and less based on a specific faith".
Therefore, since faith is good, and Christianity is entirely based on faith and atheism is based portionately on faith and more so on reason, Christianity is better than atheism because better is defined by the free dictionary as "comparative to good."

Vote Negative.

My opponent has the burden to prove that atheism has more faith than Christians because faith is good as my opponent said.

Only 1000 characters.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com...
Riferrari

Pro

I appreciate your acceptance and answer.
Yes, if faith was bad, there wouldn't be many people with faith. But I remain with my claim, faith isn't totally accurate, so I would say that if faith is going intervene a lot on our senses, we are going to have more problems with understanding our own society. Also, note that:

1: Faith isn't being used as the only criteria to determine which "belief" is the best.
2: A moderate faith can be better than an extremely high faith, we are talking about qualities such as being extrovert or being tall, which are qualities that are bad when they are in an extreme amount.
3: Faith can be accountable as bad when on an extreme amount because of the example I said in the second paragraph, thus the fact that faith counteracts reason, and if it wasn't for reason, science would be a lot more poor today.

Now, could you answer to my other arguments on the first round?
The_Master_Riddler

Con

Christianity, on the other hand, ends up being biased many times towards our own race, one example is the disrespect to homosexuality, which is sad, because many times homosexuality is not optional.

Homosexuality is not a race. Therefore, this argument has no meaning.

Atheism is growing fast in many countries.
This is not warranted, so therefore, this has no meaning in this debate.

The denial of the existence of supernatural beings is not only a non-belief, it is also an attitude of being fearless from them and pursuing the truth.

So atheists believe that there isn't a god? But they still believe something, so therefore it couldn't be something of non-belief.

My opponent concedes to the definition of better, therefore this is a debate on which side has higher faith. My opponent specifically said that Christianity is made up entirely of faith and atheism is semi-faith and mostly reason. Since Christianity has more faith, therefore it is better because faith as stated by my opponent is good.
Riferrari

Pro

1: I'm talking about the human race, if you are disrespecting an homosexual, you are disrespecting a human logically.
2: I agree. Though I wasn't expecting to say much.
3: Atheists disbelieve the existence of gods, you can call it a belief, but then it would be the same as saying that not smoking is a habit, or not collecting stamps is a hobby.

So everything I say is true? Wow, thanks. So I will say that reason is better than faith; faith is good and reason is great.
The_Master_Riddler

Con

Not means the absence of (paraphrasing) and since you are not smoking something, that couldn't be a habit because a habit is something you do.
I can believe that Big Foot doesn't exist; that is still a belief.

I didn't say everything you said is true.
This is an added argument in the last round that reason is better than faith. This shouldn't be taken into consideration.
Also, he dropped all of my arguments and didn't counter my second refutation. Therefore, voters vote Con.

He has not met the burden of proof.
Posted by likespeace 4 years ago
likespeace
Ahh, yes. Below I meant to write, "The_Master_Riddler, I considered your vote-bomb complaint." Thanks for the correction, and best of luck with your debate.
Posted by The_Master_Riddler 4 years ago
The_Master_Riddler
Likespace, I think you have confused Pro and Con.
Posted by Ike-Jin-Park 4 years ago
Ike-Jin-Park
Am I the only one who thinks definitions should not be based on dictionaries?
Posted by likespeace 4 years ago
likespeace
Well, at the least sources. Conduct would require intent and this may have been accidental.
Posted by likespeace 4 years ago
likespeace
Riferrari, I considered you vote-bomb complaint. Pro said, "Now, I won't deny that faith is good." You misconstrued this as him conceding more is better even after he corrected you in round two--"A moderate faith can be better than an extremely high faith, we are talking about qualities such as being extrovert or being tall, which are qualities that are bad when they are in an extreme amount." Being called out on misusing a source is fair grounds, to me, for devient.genie to award points to your opponent for sources and/or conduct.
Posted by Riferrari 4 years ago
Riferrari
Thanks for your comments and for your vote devient.genie; I will try to do better on my next debates :)
Posted by devient.genie 4 years ago
devient.genie
Riferarri, dont worry about hurting the feelings of religious kids. They deserve as much respect as those who supported Alchemy.

Ridicule and contempt are what religions have earned in the 21st Century. If anybody sees my reasoning for voting for you, in regards to quote mining, the novice ridiculouser doesnt stand a chance unless other delusional clowns vote bomb.

In that case who cares, its like Stephen King being concerned that The Teletubbies have a better book than him because of votes according to 2 yr olds :)

True Scripture, has relevant answers for the 21st Century, not that watered down stuff from 2000 yrs ago.

Recognize 12:9--Humans live longer, better, and more comfortable lives, when they use their science to advance mankind, religions are zits and hemorrhoids all over advancing mankind :)

CheckMate 8:12--Nobody can disprove Leprechauns at the end of rainbows guarding pots of gold, thor, bale, allah, zeus or any creator or intelligent designer, therefore the reason for everything in the world is obviously going to create over 250,000 known species of beetles, who would only make 50 or 60,000, thats weak and Not intelligent, these are beetles we are talking about, the single most influential and important creature on the planet :)

Illogical 5:6--Some piles of DNA will say people that dont believe in god are stupid, so it makes it obvious to them the design of the universe is inspired by a homophobic being that is concerned with your sex life :)

CaptainObvious 1:5--Both god and religion are created by man :)

Cures 4:42--Education and Science can fix stupid :)

Delusional 2:4--god helps Ray Lewis win Superbowl, still allows birth defects :)

Ideas 2:34--Its real simple, we upgraded the death penalty from stoning and burning at the stake, we can upgrade marriage from some to all. When a child is born, it is the child that is equal, the human is sacred, the human is deserving of respect,Nothing else, Get it religious kids? :)
Posted by devient.genie 4 years ago
devient.genie
Being an Intellectual Advocate, is like being in a car where everyone is drunk and nobody will give you the KEYS!
Posted by devient.genie 4 years ago
devient.genie
Churches will pay taxes, swearing on the bible will be replaced, gay marriage will be allowed in all 50 states, "In homophobes we trust" will be off our money, and Roe Vs Wade will remain the same.

All of those things will be true, whether this year or in the next 100 yrs. The reason for the huge gap in years is because I dont trust the delusional minds of a religious person, and Obama is just a little to happy to put his hand on the holy binky that belonged to MLK.

I know its going to be a fight to tax their a-s-s, and convincing a religious bigot that denies human rights that he is an A-hole, is gonna be tough too, like convincing a cat to bark :)

However, when the United States government gets over its seperation anxiety between church and state, convincing a religious bigot he is a tard wont be necessary, and swearing on the holy binky wont be used when the government can just do what its supposed to do, and seperate church and state WHENEVER THEY ARE GOOD AND READY TO BE BIG KIDS :)

A brilliant minded person could cure every disease on the planet and come up with a complex math equation that would make Stephen Hawking jealous that shows us how to eliminate the entire US debt in 20 yrs, and figure out how to stop Global Warming, but if that person questions the origins of life, and challenges the notion that breathing into adams nostrils by a sex monitor is what created humans, he wont get enough votes to be President in the christian nation.

Thats why the word delusional fits religion.

Weakness 11:29--"Because I said so" is used by parents and adults all the time, its the turd child of "Because the bible says so", when youve got nothing else, theyre the, "naa naa naa naa, nothing else matters defense" :)

CaptainObvious 4:30--In 2013, denying evolution proves you understand science like a shark understands cooking its food :)

Being an Intellectual Advocate, is like being in a car where everyone is drunk and nobody will give you the
Posted by devient.genie 4 years ago
devient.genie
Con dont worry about the 1000 limit. Arguing against Intellectual Honesty, is like arguing against 2+2=4.

Without irrelevant jibberish, and unsubstantiated claims, there are no logical grounds for 5 over 4 in that equation :)

Intellectual Advocates (term used to replace the pointless and bigotry ridden word atheist) are just non believers in zeus, who continue to keep it real and dont play favorites on lunacy.

The reason for all the stars and galaxies being a homophobic petty bully who monitors human sex lives, is as much of a statistical improbability as any other childish doctrine from thousands of years ago back when humans were dumber than todays average 10 yr old :)

Just because someone is good at proliferating tripe and misunderstandings thru creationist illogical thinking, proves nothing other than logic, reason, and evidence are Not necessary in a delusional mind when it comes to answers concerning the universe and life.

No matter how you slice it, he cant make it to each house in one night using flying reindeer, oh wait, I got my fairy tales mixed up, your not advocating santa, youre advocating the belief that there is a being that keeps track of who is naughty or nice, without a sleigh :)

Science is Not a belief system. Science is a tool that demands evidence, beliefs only demand faith :)

I can get a good look at a T-Bone by sticking my head up a bulls a-s-s, but Id rather take the butchers word for it--Tommy Boy

I can get a good look at evolution by sticking my head in a microscope, but I'd rather take the Nobel Prize winning brilliant minded scientists word for it--Captain Obvious

There's a reason the words genius, and brilliant minded are Not everyday adjectives for a high level priest, pastor or other religious leader, however, genius and brilliant minded in regards to a high level scientist go together quite well :)

Non belief in god isnt why any morons killed a bunch of people, belief in god cant make such a claim.
Vote Placed by likespeace 4 years ago
likespeace
RiferrariThe_Master_RiddlerTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro stated, "A moderate faith can be better than an extremely high faith, we are talking about qualities such as being extrovert or being tall, which are qualities that are bad when they are in an extreme amount." Pro did not concede more faith is better, and Con did not prove it. Con did not rebut two out of three of Pro's arguments (that theism biases oneself towards their own race, and that atheism leaves oneself to pursue the truth).
Vote Placed by Ike-Jin-Park 4 years ago
Ike-Jin-Park
RiferrariThe_Master_RiddlerTied
Reasons for voting decision: It was the fault of Pro that he did not specify what "better" really means. But for some reason, Con came up with a ridiculous that is different from what Con himself suggested in the opening rounds. It is a fact that Christianity has more faith involved than atheism does. That cannot be argued and was not the intention of this debate. Hence, I conclude Con used the fallacy of moving goal post during definitional challenge. On logical arguments. neither side gave compelling argument but to me, it is clear that Pro was leading. Pro gave some arguments regarding how religion is biased towards homosexuality. He also explained merit of atheism that atheism is fearless in discovering the truth in their own way. On the other hand, Con never gave successful refutation to these arguments. He only said homosexuality is irrelevant when it actually is not and explained non-belief nature of atheism is what makes Christianity comparatively good. But that was not the essence of the debate.
Vote Placed by devient.genie 4 years ago
devient.genie
RiferrariThe_Master_RiddlerTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con committed the crime of Quote Mining to determine grounds on which to argue. Religious kids do that all the time in regards to Einstein and Darwin and any other corrosive quotes from an Intellectual Advocate. " Now, I won't deny that faith is good,". Con ran with that like jerry sandusky found a little kids pair of spiderman underwear. "but from far, religion isn't the only key to faith; it won't mean that you will be faithless only because you deny the existence of a god", thats the rest of the quote ok novice claiming to be a master :) Ask any intellectual advocate and they will tell you they have faith the sun will rise tomorrow. We are not absent of faith, just absent of faith in zeus or other outdated tripe :)