zimmalem
marcuscato

Is beauty truly in the eye of the beholder?

Con Tied Pro
Reasons for your voting decision - Required

zimmalem

Con

NO. And here is why

Beauty is simply a face that no one can say is ugly.

And how do you unbiasedly judge a beautiful face?

All you have to do is picture the woman's face. Then change (imagine or photo shop) her complexion. If she still looks good, then she is truly beautyfull

Example,

if the woman originally has white skin, change it to black

if the woman originally has black skin, change it to white

if the woman is still beautiful even with opposite skin color, then she is truly a beautiful woman

if the woman is ugly with the opposite skin color, then she is truly an ugly woman

if the woman is average with the opposite skin color, then she is truly average
marcuscato

Pro

http://www.phrases.org.uk...
http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com...;

I believe that beauty is subjective i.e. it is truly in the eye of the beholder.
Wikipedia
Beauty:Beauty is a characteristic of a person, animal place, object, or idea that provides a perceptual experience of pleasure, meaning or satisfaction.

The very definition of beauty is suggestive of its subjectivity. When we say perceptual experience, it raises the question-who is doing the experiencing?

My opponent has suggested a method by which we can unbiasedly judge a beautiful face.
There are two mistakes in this approach:
1. Even if we were to imagine a face with a different skin tone, the experience of pleasure would still be subjective.
2. When you imagine a face with a different skin tone, you are imagining a different face. You are changing the object whose beauty is to be judged.

zimmalem

Con

you said

your focusing on the amount of beauty. but the the issue is the question of beauty or not. and what the method shows us is, if there is no amount of displeasure when looking at the face after the color has been changed, then it is correct to say the face is beautiful

then you said

this debate is not about particular facial features associated with particular skin tones. the debate is about how the objects on any face are measured and are in pleasant coordination to one another. this is what determines beauty.
marcuscato

Pro

1.My opponent said,"if there is no amount of displeasure when looking at the face after the color has been changed, then it is correct to say the face is beautiful."
Again, displeasure is also subjective.

Also can you rephrase this: ". but the the issue is the question of beauty or not."
I did not understand that statement; my english is poor. Inconvenience is regretted.

2. Your argument is non responsive, when you change the skin colour, you are imagining a different face.
This is like :
Anne: "Do you think i look hot?"
Tom : *thinking about bar rafaeli* "yes!"

You said:
a)the debate is about how the objects on any face are measured

I'm assuming, objects on any face= facial features. If you meant something else (e.g. spectacles), I suggest you clarify.

b)are in pleasant coordination to one another
How will you evaluate this if you change the skin tone?

Vote pro!
Bar rafaeli:
http://www.quicklinks.net...

zimmalem

Con

you said
Again, displeasure is also subjective.

Only to a degree.

Meaning, no one will say an orangutan or a gorilla has a beautiful face. So there is a level of beauty that
every one agrees with. And what that means is, A FACE THAT NO ONE CAN CALL UGLY IS A BEAUTIFUL FACE, meaning it is a face that all of its components ( eyes, nose, cheeks bones, lips, ect ) is in perfect coordination to each other.

you said
This is like :
Anne: "Do you think i look hot?"

FALSE! your missing understanding because your perception of beauty is based on a prejudice view you have about particular types of facial features being related to skin tone.

but to judge beauty unbiasedly, all you have to do is change the skin color of the face. Don't worry about particular facial features. If the components of the face are in perfect coordination, then the beauty will show.
marcuscato

Pro

Orangutans are beautiful!
http://rlv.zcache.com...

"cutest video ever! Anyone who disliked this is crazy!"

I hope the reader has found my debate to be interesting.
I thank my opponent for prompt replies, it was a quick and interesting debate.

Posted by Kinesis 5 years ago
Kinesis
"I tried your experiment. I choked some pretty hooker until her face turned blue and found that she was not as attractive with a blue face"

That was the corpse I got a free go with! Thanks OreEle!
Posted by Doulos1202 5 years ago
Doulos1202
This debate should be an easy win for pro.
Reason:
Beauty is subjective its a matter of a person's personal preference. Steve Irwin constantly referred to the reptiles he caught as "beauts" I dont think reptiles are beautiful. Some people fear reptiles. It lies in the individuals preference.
Posted by Ore_Ele 5 years ago
Ore_Ele
I tried your experiment. I choked some pretty hooker until her face turned blue and found that she was not as attractive with a blue face... also, I need to stay out of california for awhile. Apparently they have this progressive view that hookers are people too (damn hippies).
Vote Placed by randolph7 5 years ago
randolph7
zimmalemmarcuscatoTied
Reasons for voting decision: .
Vote Placed by Cerebral_Narcissist 5 years ago
Cerebral_Narcissist
zimmalemmarcuscatoTied
Reasons for voting decision: It seems as though such poor quality debates are going to dominate this site for some time. Con fails to establish BoP and indeed argues against himself. Pro argues slightly better. Con loses spelling/grammar. Only Pro provides sources. Conduct tied.
Vote Placed by F-16_Fighting_Falcon 5 years ago
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
zimmalemmarcuscatoTied
Reasons for voting decision: Debate was not as well argued or well presented as it could have been though Pro had slightly better refutations to Con's unconventional scenario.