TeaPartyRepublican
Isaiah68

Is being Transgender a mental disorder? (No means it is not

Isaiah68

TeaPartyRepublican

Pro

Is being Transgender a metal disorder.
First round is acceptance
Isaiah68

Con

no one HAS to accept that life style. It's their right. So here we go: yes, being transgender is a mental disorder. And a clear sign of the degradation of society, when persons perpetuate their mental illness. It is called "Disorder of assumption". Simply put, it means a person cannot accept their true biological nature. Johns Hopkins university has done a multitude of studies by the way, it is biologically impossible to completely become a man or woman. That's just a scientific fact. You can dress up and do all the cosmetics you want.

everyone wants "rights" and "acceptance" of transgender, but what about the woman in the restroom who does not want a man dressed as a woman in there? Any other person, would go to jail. Your argument is.... Acceptance. That is not an argument. You are demanding that society accept something that is an abomination and completely against normal human behavior. WE are not the odd ones. Do I hate transgender people? No. But our children should NEVER have to be subjected to having a member (Truly of the opposite sex) in areas where you have a right to privacy, and a right to not be the subject of predators.
TeaPartyRepublican

Pro

TeaPartyRepublican forfeited this round.
Isaiah68

Con

Same arguments I suppose.
TeaPartyRepublican

Pro

Isaiah68

Con

Blowing on finger nails.
Posted by cottrill 1 year ago
cottrill
I wasn't skating around the question, I just stand by that the question on it's own doesn't make sense. If we're going to go down that path however, we would need to define what we mean by "being transgender". My definition would be someone who doesn't identify with the social conventions laid out for their biological gender. I don't think there is any question that not fitting in with society is not a mental health issue.

If you are defining transgender as someone who, for example, was born a woman but perceives herself to have a penis, then yes there may be mental health issues at play. I think this is a very specific definition however, and I don't think something like that applies to the whole transgender community as a whole. There are many transgender people who are fine not having surgery done and are just fine living their lives as the gender they identify with. To them this may just mean being able to dress and act different. I think it's unfair to label "acting different" as a mental disorder, and that's why I think the question is being a bit dishonest.
Posted by snowbunny 1 year ago
snowbunny
wait..... Con was suppoused to be against it being a mental disorder, but he argued the pro side. How is pro suppoused to argue when the opponet is agreeing with him. Isaiah68, next time make up your mind and don't argue for the other side.
Posted by Isaiah68 1 year ago
Isaiah68
Just saying. Kohns Hopkins, one of the most prestigious institutions on planet Earth.... Did years of research. It's a mental disorder. And biologically impossoe to fully change gender.
Posted by FBronx 1 year ago
FBronx
In response to Cottrill, You are wrong in saying the debate question is flawed. This debate is not about trying to solve "the issues", it is asking a question, that you are skating around from answering. Your proposed questions may be useful and may help some issues, but that is not this question. IS IT A MENTAL DISORDER? The answer is, YES it is. There is something that is creating a disorder in the scientific make up of ones brain. Period. I am not saying that it is a disorder that should be shamed, or bashed, and it may or may not need to be "helped". But make no mistake, it is a mental disorder, from the order of which we are made.
Posted by cottrill 1 year ago
cottrill
But there isn't anything about biology that says males like fast cars and girls like purses, that's society. We don't have to use the term gender stereotyping, but there is definitely a lot more difference expected between, for example, a mother and a father human vs a mother and father fox. Humans have evolved past the point where biology determines what kind of a person you are, we have evolved to define that ourselves using our mind. Biology might tell a mother fox to protect her young in a den while the father goes out hunting for food, and biology *might* even tell a human mother/father duo to act the same, but beyond survival instinct I think it's difficult to claim that there is a biological issue at play.
Posted by Isaiah68 1 year ago
Isaiah68
I understandbwhatbyour saying. I'd just like to point out that you are asking people, the majority who do not understand that life style, to set aside all beliefs of theirs. "Gender stereotyping" bothers me. Because biology is biology.
Posted by cottrill 1 year ago
cottrill
In response to Isaiah, if that is the topic of the debate then I would definitely concede that there are inherent problems with surgeries and entitlement to restrooms specifically, but I think that most contention IS because people are playing, how you said, dress-up. The main issue is that people are challenging the societal ideas of what it means to be male or female. I am not a transgendered person myself, so this is purely speculation, but I think t would be fair to say that some, if not most, transgendered people wouldn't need to have a surgery completed if gender stereotyping was eliminated. If a man could go out in public wearing a dress and lipstick and not be ridiculed, I don't think they would be as compelled to have their penis removed just so they could.
Posted by Earlee 1 year ago
Earlee
Both debaters have the same viewpoint....-_-
Posted by Isaiah68 1 year ago
Isaiah68
I disagree. It is vital to acknowledge it IS a mental disorder because that changes the dynamics of how society will address it. And transgenders are the minority. No one is saying they can't play dress up. My argument as outlined in this debate has to do with persons subjected to it like children, that should not be for example in a rest room with a BIOLOGICAL MAN. You can have every surgery in the book. It is biologically impossible to fully change. That is based on extensive research by Kohns Hopkins.
Posted by cottrill 1 year ago
cottrill
Being transgender doesn't signify that there is anything wrong, so I think the question up for debate is inherently flawed. When we talk about transgendered people, we are talking about people that don't associate with the conventional expectations for their gender. It's not a fault of the individual, it's the fault of society.

I think a more useful question would be; should we expect people to fit into our predetermined gender stereotypes, and in that case I would argue that no, we shouldn't. In a free society, anyone should be able to enjoy the things they choose, engage in the activities they want, and associate with whichever people they wish.

To pose the question "Is being transgender a mental disorder?" deviates from the actual issue at hand, which is whether or not we should reasonably expect people to act the way we want them to.
Vote Placed by SNP1 1 year ago
SNP1
TeaPartyRepublicanIsaiah68Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro forfeited pretty much all rounds so loss of conduct. Con is the only one that made arguments, so arguments to Con.