Muslimdebater
dsjpk5

Is being fat a sin?

dsjpk5

Muslimdebater

Con

we've been too narrow-minded with our views on weight. Contrary to popular belief, being fat in and of itself may not be unhealthy. In fact, it might even offer health benefits""fat" and "health" aren"t necessarily correlated in the ways we"ve all been led to believe. Read on to learn why it"s time to take a new perspective on weight.

A Brief History of Obesity

Overweight people were not always derided, and the explanation for this comes down to one key biological fact: We store fat for a reason. Fat storage benefited early humans because the potential dangers of becoming overweight were nothing compared to the very real risk of starvation. Hunter-gatherers were never guaranteed their next meal.

Even after the birth of agriculture and the rise of complex civilization, few people feared becoming overweight. In fact, throughout much of the world and for most of human history, being fat was a sign of success and wealth that demonstrated you could afford enough food to add those extra pounds. As food supplies increased in some areas in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, making it less "impressive" to be able to afford to eat well, being overweight gradually became stigmatized and was eventually viewed as a health risk.

More recent studies have argued that the negative health implications of carrying extra weight may have been overblown.
However, our forbearers may not have the last word on the health risks (or lack thereof) of fatness. More recent studies have argued that the negative health implications of carrying extra weight may have been overblown . Furthermore, being "fat" might be good for you .

The Fallacy of Fatness

"Overweight," as a term, is ambiguous. While measures of "fatness" have shifted over time, the most popular metric at present is the Body Mass Index Scale (BMI)"which is notoriously unreliable. BMI is calculated by dividing a person"s weight by his or her height, which means the metric doesn't differentiate between fat and lean tissue (i.e. muscle). It's a rather crude measure of determining fatness that"s really only useful when looking for statistical trends in populations (which is what it was originally designed to do). BMI wasn't originally intended for determining the health of individuals.

Take another example: I'm overweight by American standards and obese by Japanese standards. Should that worry me? I'll let you decide"here's a photo:

Do I appear to be in a physical condition that ought to provoke concerns for my health? The answer, I think (and hope!) you'll agree, is no. (On a similar note, let"s not forget that many NFL wide receivers qualify as obese too. For more photo evidence of BMI"s flaws, check out the Illustrated BMI Categories project.)

It is clear that BMI is inherently flawed as a measure of health. The threshold of danger for being overweight is arguably well beyond what BMI indicators imply, and that danger is still dependent on a number of other health factors beyond weight alone, such as physical activity, genetics, and other lifestyle factors. Besides, even if someone looks thin, they may be ruining their body in other ways, such as failing to exercise or eating a diet poor in nutrition. To put it another way, fatness (as a health issue) is a guessing game.

The Benefits of Being Fat

By definition, I stand amongst that group of people who fall under the broad umbrella term of "fat""plump, carrying a few extra pounds, curvy, big boned"whatever you want to call it. By most people"s standards, I should be worried about my health. But I'm not, in large part due to recent research.

Study after study concludes that what affects health most is physical activity and nutrition"not body weight.
Study after study concludes that what affects health most is physical activity and nutrition"not body weight. One study even found that being overweight but not obese (defined as having a BMI between 25 and 30) is associated with longer life expectancy than having a clinically normal weight (a BMI between 18.5 and 25). This serves as further proof that a "normal" BMI doesn't necessarily imply better health.

True, there are studies that purport to find the exact opposite results. But if anything, these contradictions demonstrate that it is virtually impossible to conclusively prove that being overweight is bad for a person"s health.

In fact, being overweight may be good for us. Several studies have found that excess fat provides much-needed energy during sickness. And a person with low body fat is over four times more likely to die from heart disease as an overweight patient with the same diagnosis.

The conclusion is simple: Not only are findings about the supposed health risks of fat inconclusive, they are largely based on a system of measurement that is woefully inadequate. Arguably, this is exactly why the findings are so inconclusive"because BMI is (to an extent) arbitrary. You can argue until you"re blue in the face that being overweight leads to an increased risk of mortality, but that doesn"t mean that an individual with a BMI of 25.1 is more likely to die than another individual with a BMI of 24.9. Statistical generalizations do not define a person"s health.
dsjpk5

Pro

I'd like to thank my opponent for creating this debate.

PLAGIARISM

My opponent has plagiarized most of his/her first round argument from the following website:

http://greatist.com...

I ask the voters to consider this when voting on this debate.
Muslimdebater

Con

To start with, My opponent didn't find it necessary to post his/her argument. They thought its enough to just blame me and win the debate. Admittedly I did take part of my text from there and I am guilty of forgetting to put quotation marks or writing the link below. But being human, I guess I'm allowed to forget sometimes. But since my opponent thought that throwing the "Plagriasm" card is enough and win the debate just like that, without actually arguing on the topic, unlike my opponent. I will post my second argument. Voters should keep this in mind.

Being fat should not be a sin or crime in society. Being tall isn't a sin. Being short isn't a sin. Having freckles isn't a sin. Because all these things are natural and a part of you.similarly some people can't help being fat and it's a part of them . They've been living it for their whole life. So it should not be considered wrong. And fat people should also be looked at with the same respect just bc they have a few fat rolls make them no less human. Thanx
dsjpk5

Pro

I'm glad to see two things... one, my opponent doesn't deny her plagiarism, and two, she has finally decided to make her own arguments. I didn't post my first argument in round one because I was waiting for the debate to begin. I'm supposed to be debating muslimdebater, not the author of some blog.

Debate Resolution

The resolution we are debating is: "Is being fat a sin?" "Sin" is an offense against God. [1] With this in mind, we should look to the Bible to find our answer. When we do, it becomes obvious that being fat is a sin:

"Proverbs 23:20-21New International Version (NIV)

20 Do not join those who drink too much wine
or gorge themselves on meat,
21 for drunkards and gluttons become poor,
and drowsiness clothes them in rags." [2]

"Proverbs 28:7New International Version (NIV)

7 A discerning son heeds instruction,
but a companion of gluttons disgraces his father." [3]

"Proverbs 23:2New International Version (NIV)

2 and put a knife to your throat
if you are given to gluttony." [4]

When we consider what the Bible says, it's obvious that being fat is a sin. The resolution is affirmed.

1. http://www.google.com...

2. https://www.biblegateway.com...

3. https://www.biblegateway.com...

4. https://www.biblegateway.com...
Muslimdebater

Con

My opponent here uses bible to show that being fat is a sin. The term used by him is ; gluttony.

Gluttony means; habitual greed or excess in eating. (The common defination)

Now it's worth while to mention here, that fatness does not happen from overeating all the time. Rather Ive seen very few people who are fat because they eat too much. There are some very poor people in the world who don't have enough money to fill their stomachs and yet they're fat. A woman gets fat after giving birth and many other reasons make a person fat. Depression, pollution etc. Society does not take into consideration these facts and just decides to degrade a fat person despite the reason behind it. So, I stand with the statement 'being fat is not a sin' and fatness isn't related to gluttony. Thankx
dsjpk5

Pro

I'd like to thank my opponent for her speedy response.

Debate resolution

I'd like to remind my opponent that the debate resolution doesn't say "Is being fat SOMETIMES not a sin?" It asks if being fat is a sin. I've given one example of when it is, so I have shown that in at least one instance the answer to the question is "yes". With this in mind, the resolution is affirmed.

Please vote Pro!
Posted by dsjpk5 7 months ago
dsjpk5
Now that its iver, I want to wish my opponent good luck in the future. As long as he stops plagiarizing, he should do well!
Posted by whiteflame 7 months ago
whiteflame
*******************************************************************
>Reported vote: lord_megatron// Mod action: NOT Removed<

3 points to Con (Arguments), 1 point to Pro (Conduct). Reasons for voting decision: While con may have plagiarized in round 1 as pointed out by pro, he did not rebut these arguments. All pro has done is given quotes from the bible, and the resolution is not "is being fat a sin against god" but "is being fat a sin" Also, the biblical quotes have not defined it exactly as fat, for it says to avoid being a COMPANION of gluttony, goring on meat and drinking. People are fat even if they don't do that. Con's arguments were that fat had health benefits and BMR is was unreliable, which hasn't been rebutted.

[*Reason for non-removal*] The voter explains the decision sufficiently, stating the reason why they awarded conduct and explaining why they chose the side they did for arguments. While the report may be correct in assessing this as a grudge vote, it is nonetheless sufficiently explained.
************************************************************************
Posted by lord_megatron 7 months ago
lord_megatron
hey dsjpk you know you didn't really provide any arguments. This is not a way to debate man. And vote-bombing my debates is not proving anything either
Posted by robin.murphy1999 7 months ago
robin.murphy1999
well i would not say a sin, but it is extremely unhealthy to be overweight and the number of people who think being overweight is not a problem is too damn high (9gag reference).
Vote Placed by fire_wings 7 months ago
fire_wings
Muslimdebaterdsjpk5Tied
Reasons for voting decision: PLAG
Vote Placed by Unbelievable.Time 7 months ago
Unbelievable.Time
Muslimdebaterdsjpk5Tied
Reasons for voting decision: PLAGIARISM.
Vote Placed by minddrag 7 months ago
minddrag
Muslimdebaterdsjpk5Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con plagiarized in round one which constitutes an automatic loss, therefore conduct points go to pro.
Vote Placed by RonaldTrumpkin 7 months ago
RonaldTrumpkin
Muslimdebaterdsjpk5Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Plagarism is an automatic loss.
Vote Placed by ConserativeDemocrat 7 months ago
ConserativeDemocrat
Muslimdebaterdsjpk5Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct: Pro plagerized most of their first argumebt. Arguments. Pro fufilled the resolution by providing biblical quotes that show God doesn't like gluttony and fatness, which Con couldn't rebut, so Pro wins arguments. Con focused on the health of being fat, which wasn't the resolution. In response to Pro's arguments, Con provided examples of ways people could get fat other then eating, but that doesn't rebut Pro's argument. Pro provided an example of fatness being a sin, which con couldn't counter, so pro wins.
Vote Placed by JustVotingTiedDebates 7 months ago
JustVotingTiedDebates
Muslimdebaterdsjpk5Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct for PRO as CON plagiarizes in round 1. PRO points to that in round 1. Sorry CON. I hate plaigarism.
Vote Placed by Ragnar 7 months ago
Ragnar
Muslimdebaterdsjpk5Tied
Reasons for voting decision: R1 dismissed at expense of conduct (plagiarism)... Con's case inferred that fatness is unrelated from consumption, and used a personal anecdote of seeing it caused by such things as pollution, so it should not be a sin (not truly that it isn't, but I'll let that typo slide). Pro's case goes to religion, the primary place we hear about sins; the passages he used talked about appearances (the son should not be seen with gluttons), and outright said they should kill themselves (harsh and messed up, but that's the authority on what is or is not a sin). There may be exceptions, but on average it sounds like quite the sin (the sin identified by appearance, as there are no mind readers to check). Were con to have used a source even suggesting fat and gluttony are not directly connected (evidence=arguments, no-evidence=assertions), or counter religious claims praising fatness, this debate could have gone her way.
Vote Placed by lord_megatron 7 months ago
lord_megatron
Muslimdebaterdsjpk5Tied
Reasons for voting decision: While con may have plagiarized in round 1 as pointed out by pro, he did not rebut these arguments. All pro has done is given quotes from the bible, and the resolution is not "is being fat a sin against god" but "is being fat a sin" Also, the biblical quotes have not defined it exactly as fat, for it says to avoid being a COMPANION of gluttony, goring on meat and drinking. People are fat even if they don't do that. Con's arguments were that fat had health benefits and BMR is was unreliable, which hasn't been rebutted.