Debater124397
Skynet

Is being gay an actual sin?

Skynet

Debater124397

Con

Is being gay a sin? I am arguing being gay is NOT a sin and my opponent will argue (obviously) being gay IS a sin. You are allowed to curse, I don't mind . Use any argument or source you want to get your point across.
Skynet

Pro

Welcome to DDO.

I'm curious to see how my opponent will define sin to back her argument.

Romans 1:24-27

"Therefore God gave them over in the sinful desires of their hearts to sexual impurity for the degrading of their bodies with one another. They exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised. Amen. Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural relations for unnatural ones. In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed indecent acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their perversion."

Genesis 18:20-21, 19:4-5

"Then the LORD said, "The outcry against Sodom and Gomorrah is so great and their sin so grievous that I will go down and see if what they have done is as bad as the outcry that has reached me. If not, I will know."

Before they had gone to bed, all the men from every part of the city of Sodom -both young and old- surrounded the house. They called to Lot, "Where are the men who came to you tonight? Bring them out to us so that we can sex with them."

Leviticus 18:22, 24-26

Do not lie with a man as one lies with a woman; that is detestable.

Do not defile yourselves in any of these ways, because this is how the nations that I am going to drive out before you became defiled. Even the land was defiled so I punished it for its sin, and the land vomited out its inhabitants.
Debater124397

Con

"There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus."
-Galatians 3:28

I am curious to discover exactly how are you going to ignore the fact that all men were created equal in God's eye. Is that someone forgotten when it comes to sexuality? Doesn't God love us, no matter what? How can you paraphrase a book that was written, 3500 years ago and assume the outcome of what's being taught or preached?
Skynet

Pro

Why do you cherry pick one verse and divorce it completely from it's context, then accuse me of paraphrasing, when I am using several direct quotes, and providing surrounding verses to provide some context?

I will now explain my charges against Con.

The full title of Galatians has been translated in modern English (NASB and AMP versions) "The Letter of Paul to the Galatians." The greeting takes up the first 5 verses of Chapter 1. The second half of verse 2 explains exactly who was the recipient of the letter: "To the churches of Galatia."
The intention of Con is to marry the American creed of "All men are created equal" with Galatians 3:28. I will demonstrate:

3:28 is addressing Christians at churches in the first half of the 1st century dealing with a specific controversy. That controversy is what nearly the entire book is about, and that is the heresy of the "Circumcision Group." This group taught that simply having faith in Christ as God's Son, (which involves accepting what he did and said), and proclaiming it with your mouth, was not enough to save you from sin. They said you must also be circumcised and follow the Mosaic Law, specifically the ceremonial laws, which only apply to the promise of the Jewish nation, not gentiles who worship the true God, neither did the Law cleanse anyone from sin permanently.

Proof of this can be found throughout the short book, but if you are uninclined to read the entire thing:

2:11-16
"When Cephas came to Antioch, I opposed him to his face, because he stood condemned. For before certain men came from James, he used to eat with the Gentiles. But when they arrived, he began to draw back and separate himself from the Gentiles because he was afraid of those who belonged to the circumcision group. The other Jews joined him in his hypocrisy, so that by their hypocrisy even Barnabas was led astray.
When I saw that they were not acting in line with the truth of the gospel, I said to Cephas in front of them all, “You are a Jew, yet you live like a Gentile and not like a Jew. How is it, then, that you force Gentiles to follow Jewish customs?
We who are Jews by birth and not sinful Gentiles know that a person is not justified by the works of the law, but by faith in Jesus Christ. So we, too, have put our faith in Christ Jesus that we may be justified by faith in Christ and not by the works of the law, because by the works of the law no one will be justified."

Con uses "all men (humanity, non-genderspecific, as in "mankind") are equal in God's eye" and equivocates it with "all are one in Christ." Not all men are in Christ, and the letter wasn't meant for ALL men, just all in Christ. The point Paul is making is that whether you are a Jew or gentile, male or female, regardless of life circumstances, all in Christ are sinners saved by the atoning work of Christ on a cross.

Yes, from Acts 10:34 we see "God is no respecter of persons," but that only means we are equally subject to God, and he judges based on action and character, not race or age or wealth or gender. All the believers come through the same door of repentance and faith in Jesus' work, that is the equalizer.

However, distinction is made between repeatedly in the Bible between the sheep and the goats, the believers and unbelievers, wicked and rightous, etc. (all different terms for the same distinction).

"Is that someone forgotten when it comes to sexuality? Doesn't God love us, no matter what?"

Everyone, including I, is a sinner worthy of death and Hell before they come to Christ. Homosexuality is sin, and so was eating a piece of fruit when told not to by God.
"For whoever shall keep the whole law, and yet stumble in one point, he is guilty of all. For He who said, “Do not commit adultery,” also said, “Do not murder.” James 2:10

We sin, and God has every right to throw his work that CHOOSES to give in to temptation away. His great love that you ask about is that he provides a way out for ALL sinners who go to him to repent. He hates sin and those who insist on sinning, but has unending love for those who repent.

"...for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me, but showing love to a thousand generations of those who love me and keep my commandments." Exodus 20:5-6

One last point, a homosexual's sin is only as innate as any other sin, whether a person is gay, a liar, violent, fill in the blank with a sin. It's all sin.
Debater124397

Con

Debater124397 forfeited this round.
Skynet

Pro

The question was, is being gay actually a sin? I could use any source I wanted. I used the Bible: It addresses homosexuality and whether it is a sin. I presented a few passages that call homosexuality a sin. My opponent claimed I paraphrased my sources, when I used direct quotes and cited sources. From R2, it seems Con did not have an understanding of the Bible's position on homosexuality, and misapplied a passage from the Bible out of context.

I have satisfactorily answered the question that, yes, being gay is a sin. My opponent FF the final round.

Vote Pro.
Posted by Teemo 3 years ago
Teemo
Believing in god does not automatically mean you go to heaven. You must truly accept him, and follow his wishes. I see you, con are quoting that song. I forgot the name though xD
Posted by Jifpop09 3 years ago
Jifpop09
Con, I recently debated this crushing my opponent. just keep pushing the "anyone who believes in Christ goes to heaven" argument
Posted by UndyingHarmony 3 years ago
UndyingHarmony
As long as he is not inlove or making love with another man, then being Gay is not a sin.
Vote Placed by queenofmayhem 3 years ago
queenofmayhem
Debater124397SkynetTied
Reasons for voting decision: Though I strongly agree with Con and Pro failed to sway me, due to Con's ignoring most of Pro's arguments and forfeit, argument and conduct goes to Pro.
Vote Placed by MrJosh 3 years ago
MrJosh
Debater124397SkynetTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct for the forfeit, arguments because PRO actually made arguments and backed them up.
Vote Placed by Dan4reason 3 years ago
Dan4reason
Debater124397SkynetTied