Aei
Phenenas

Is being gay really defying the bible?

Phenenas

Aei

Con

No, I do not think that being gay is defying the bible because did it not read in the bible that God would forgive any wring we did?
I do not think that people should base who you should love over a religion that could possibly be wrong.
Phenenas

Pro

Since Con didn't organize the round structure, I will present my opening case rather than using Round 1 for acceptance. Please keep in mind that I'm only arguing that homosexuality is prohibited by the Bible; my personal beliefs have nothing to do with it, and I myself don't believe that homosexuality is wrong.

Allow me to begin with Leviticus 20:13. It reads "If a man has sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They are to be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads." Sounds very brutal indeed. But context is important to understand this verse: this is one of the hundreds of laws written by Moses over a thousand years B.C. to govern the Israelites, apparently with direct inspiration from the Holy Spirit.

So why don't we see Christian fundamentalists lobbying for the death penalty for gays? Because Christians believe that when Jesus was crucified, Mosaic Law was abolished. Take a look at Romans 10:4, where the Apostle Paul writes "For Christ is the end of the law, with the result that there is righteousness for everyone who believes." That means Christians are allowed to eat pork and shellfish, and don't have to sacrifice animals, stone gays to death, or obey the other brutal commands listed in the Pentateuch. However, Paul also has this to say in Romans 7, in reference to Mosaic Law: "So then, the law is holy, and the commandment is holy, righteous and good.". Basically saying that God does not require that gays be killed, but that He certainly wouldn't mind if they were.

Now I want to focus on the New Testament exclusively. While it encourages love and tolerance towards everyone, it does not hold back in its message that homosexuals are destined for Hell. In 1 Corinthians 6:9-11, Paul names off those he considers "the unrighteous", who will not inherit the kingdom of God. In a list that includes adulterers, thieves, and idolaters, he includes homosexuals. Even Jesus, in his Sermon on the Mount, hints that homosexuals are headed for Hell by saying 1) God only allows men and women to marry each other and 2) all sex outside of marriage is immoral.

Pro asks "did it not read in the bible that God would forgive any wring [sic] we did?" Not necessarily. Verses like 1 John 1:9 and Ephesians 1:7 may mislead Christians into believing that God will forgive all sins no matter what. But if you read the Biblical context, the point of repentance is to admit that you have done wrong and do your best to avoid sinning again. If a gay Christian prays for repentance and goes right on ahead being gay, that will mean very little to Jesus, according to Scripture.

"I do not think that people should base who you should love over a religion that could possibly be wrong." I completely agree with you, but that isn't the topic of this debate. We are debating whether or not being gay defies the Bible, and it most certainly does. I await Pro's response in Round 2.
Aei

Con

Aei forfeited this round.
Phenenas

Pro

Since Pro has forfeited Round 2, I won't add any further arguments right now.
Aei

Con

Aei forfeited this round.
Phenenas

Pro

Good luck, Con!
Vote Placed by princearchitect 8 months ago
princearchitect
AeiPhenenasTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro wins this debate because Con forfeits rounds.
Vote Placed by ssadi 9 months ago
ssadi
AeiPhenenasTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con forfeited 2 out of 3 rounds, conduct to Pro!
Vote Placed by dsjpk5 9 months ago
dsjpk5
AeiPhenenasTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con ff many times, so conduct to Pro.