Is being gay wrong

I think that being gay is totally not wrong! Straight people please comment why you think gay is wrong, we are born this way. It's who we are. We cannot change this. It's not a choice!

***Disclaimer: As a straight male, I support gay marriage and those who are homosexual.

That being said, As a straight male, my preference is towards women. This would then infer that I think being homosexual, for me, is wrong. I will show these reason why I believe it is wrong for me. (Other than, I do like girls, I do not like boys)

My opponent states "We are born this way."
Science has only suggested that homoesexuality may start in the womb.
"homosexuality might not lie in DNA itself. Instead, as an embryo develops, sex-related genes are turned on and off in response to fluctuating levels of hormones in the womb, produced by both mother and child. This benefits the unborn child, however if these epigenetic changes persist once the child is born, and has children of its own, some of these offspring may be homosexual."[1]

"It's not a choice"
Are you speaking solely for yourself, or do you believe no gay person has made a concious choice to be gay?

I believe there are some people, based partially on their genetics, environment, and upbringing have no choice other than to be homosexual. But I also believe there are others who, later in life, have gone against there heterosexual beliefs and have "turned gay" by choice.

My argument to why homosexuality is wrong(aside from my personal preference) is based on the human anatomy.

Homosexuality, among men, usually involves anal sex. This goes against the human anatomy and has proven hazardous to the health of the participants. The points made (in the article below are summzarized as follow) [2]
The anus lacks the natural lubrication the vagina has
The anus was designed to hold in feces
The anus is full of bacteria

There are few health risks for women who engage in homosexual acts. But, both the male and female reproductive organs are going unused (which does happens in heterosexual relationships) meaning you are wasting a significant portion of your anatomy.

One of our instincts, as humans, is sex. "The instinct to have sex is one of the most potent we possess. It’s vital if we are to produce the next generation." [3]
Like other animals we crave the ability to reproduce. Our intellgience has made selection of mates increasingly difficult and can hinder our instinct, but the craving still remains.

Sex in its natural state is between a man and a woman.

Jackjoe1231 forfeited this round.

Extend arguments.

Jackjoe1231 forfeited this round.

Extend. I appreciate the debate, and wish we could have heard some disputes from Con.

Vote Your Friendly Neighborhood Pro - Domr!
Posted by cwt002 2 years ago
The comment about STD's is showing that diseases are more prevalent in homosexuals. Being homosexual does not automatically mean you have one but you are more likely to obtain an STD. This shows the increased riskiness of homosexual behavior.

I agree we are agreeing on things and since we are a different species we cannot be related to animals committing homosexuality.
Posted by Domr 2 years ago
@cwt i believe we are on the same side of the argument, but you are some of your comments don't apply. Your examples for how animals do things makes no sense. Your arguing that:

X does _______
Because X and Y are both in the alphabet, both should do ______

We are different species with different needs, different habits, and different complexities of the brain.

Your arguments for how STDs affect homosexuals doesn't apply. Being homosexual does not give you an STD (as you are inferring with your statistics) It means more homosexuals have contracted the disease and then have the ability to spread it. Which, YES, is a problem.

However homosexuality by itself has no bearing on STDs.
Posted by cwt002 2 years ago
So let me clarify, eating feces was one example, but there are many. For instance, there are animals in nature that are cannibalistic or parents kill their offspring. I am just saying that the argument just because animals do it means homosexuality is natural is not a valid argument. There are more reasons and facts to support me on this as well.

To continue with facts @ Colex keep in mind homosexuals only make up about 2% of the population. The research mentioned earlier about the life spans had information compiled and studied from 1990-2002 by two people holding PhD's with one publishing over 40 articles concerning homosexual research and is a reviewer for the British Medical Journal, the Canadian Medical Association Journal, and the Postgraduate Medical Journal. They studied these nations homosexuality crisis as a whole and yes it is very reliable.

The following information is research completed by the National Centers for Disease Control and Prevention:
- In 2008, men who have sex with men (MSM) accounted for 63% of primary and secondary syphilis cases in the United States. ( The National Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, CDC) (National Aids Trust, NAT)
- MSM are 17 times more likely to develop anal cancer than heterosexual men.

Homosexuals account for 3-4% of all gonorrhea cases, 60% of all syphilis cases, and 17% of all hospital admissions (other than for STDs) in the United States (Changes in Sexual Behavior and Incidence of Gonorrhea, Lancet)

78% of homosexuals are affected by STDs (Rueda, E. "The Homosexual Network." Old Greenwich, Conn., the Devin Adair Company)
Posted by Domr 2 years ago
Animals will eat feces because feces of certain animals have nutrients and vitamins in them, help them absorb nutrients, or they are eating for other unusual circumstances. (sick, lack of nutrients, etc) **

Human feces do not contain nutrients that pose any benefits to us if we eat them. In fact they cause disease if we eat them. So that argument doesn't apply here.

My only two arguments that "homosexuality is against nature" is that 'anal sex goes against the human anatomy' and our craving for sex is because we wish to reproduce. Homosexuality does not allow us to reproduce, therefore rendering the craving 'useless' in terms of reproduction.

I have made absolutely no arguments that people who choose to be homosexual go against nature.

Posted by cwt002 2 years ago
Never use wiki no matter what it is so unreliable.

I find it interesting how the world is striving to go back to all natural things. For instance, most man made medicine is designed to mask symptoms not cure the actual issue. All natural medicine is much better for you and has less side effects. For instance, my father became a diabetic doctors prescribed him medicine and come to fin out it was not a cure but just an aid. Then he went to a specialist who gave him all natural supplements and medicine and he is cured! Also, look at food, people want organic or natural foods not unnatural foods filled with pesticides and hormones. Why? it is healthier, better for you......

I absolutely hate the argument of homosexuality in nature. There are an extremely large number of animals and species that eat their own feces. Are we going to call this natural for humans to do, well according to your logic we would but I definitely am NOT going to do that.

Also, @Colex I will post facts soon!
Posted by Domr 2 years ago
I agree heterosexual acts can pose risk for disease, however those are extenuating circumstances. Someone has to have the disease

I apologize for not defining the term "nature": the basic or inherent features of something, especially when seen as characteristic of it.

In anal sex, common among homosexual men, by itself poses health risks. Tearing of the anus or weakening of the sphincter. The anus is designed as an exit only.
Posted by Colex 2 years ago
Whether it's genetic or a choice, there's nothing wrong with being gay. There is nothing wrong with "homosexual acts."

Pro said, "Sex in its natural state is between a man and a woman."

1. This is an appeal to nature, which is a logical fallacy. Just because something is "natural" does not make it better. Many of the products we use today are not found in nature (medicine, plastic, etc).

2. Homosexuality is natural. It occurs in nature. [1] Also, humans are a part of nature. So the fact that there are homosexual humans means that it is natural.

As for the health risks, heterosexual intercourse has plenty of health risks. STD's are a risk of any intercourse. Even pregnancy is risky. It's not unheard of for a woman to die during childbirth.

cwt002 said, "married gays and lesbians have a shorter lifespan than their conventionally married counterparts."

You assume that this is because they are homosexual. It could have been for other reasons like income, consumption habits, perhaps traumatic life events? Also, has this study been peer reviewed and reproduced? Was it done in a scientific manner with a large enough sample and all other factors controlled, or was it subject to bias?

Posted by cwt002 2 years ago
Well just because we do not agree with homosexuality does not mean that we look down on them does it? I am not sure if they are looked down upon more than drugs dealers but funny you bring it up. Research focused on countries with a long history of gay marriage (Denmark and Norway) showed that married gays and lesbians have a shorter lifespan than their conventionally married counterparts " by 24 years. Meaning the median age of homosexuals is 42-45. Smoking decreases a life by an average of 7 years. Although smoking is not a drug it is a dangerous but homosexuality is over 3 times riskier than smoking.

Why are we opposed to drugs? It is dangerous has a risky lifestyle, dangerous to the individual? So why should we care about homosexuality? Unfortunately the same reasons.

If people realized this homosexuality would actually be dealt with in a better way. I have sources if needed.
Posted by Dilara 2 years ago
I'm straight. I don't care who someone else sleeps with.
Posted by Mray56 2 years ago
Like you said, it does go both ways. I'm going to stick to my beliefs. We shouldn't look down on gays because they are people too. Unfortunately in this society, gays are more looked down upon then drug addicts/dealers. Just how it is. There are more stereotypes/judgments about gays then almost anything.
Vote Placed by Ajab 2 years ago
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture.