HulkSmash
Blade-of-Truth

Is bohemian Rhapsody the best song ever?

Blade-of-Truth
Started: 2/23/2014 Category: Music

HulkSmash

Pro

I believe that Bohemian Rhapsody is the best song ever made. I do not frequently listen to older music but even I can see that this song is on a whole new level. It is one of the most creative songs ever made and quite possibly the most popular.

Because of the above reasons, I believe that Bohemian Rhapsody is the best song ever.
Blade-of-Truth

Con

I accept the debate with my position being that Bohemian Rhapsody is not the best song ever.

Unofrtunately, this topic really falls into the realm of the subjective - with everyone having different tastes in preferred music. With that said, I will present my argument in an objective manner - looking towards billboard charts, overall sales, and international reception in order to show the audience that Bohemian Rhapsody is not the best song ever.

First and foremost, I will define best as: better than all others in quality or value.

Source: http://www.merriam-webster.com...

I. Chart Performance

When considering what the best song ever made was, the first logical action to take would be to look at the charts. Usually, there are several charts compiled that list the best songs ever made. One of the most commonly accepted charts would be the billboard charts. Upon looking at that chart, one will notice immediately that the peak position of the song Bohemian Rhapsody on the billboard chart is position #2, never quite making it to the top of the Billboard charts. The fact remains that someone produced a song that will forever be better than that song, a song that was in the position of #1 - which in turn, caused Bohemian Rhapsody to never reach the peak chart position #1.

Source: http://www.billboard.com...

Upon further examination of more charts, it appears that the song rarely even placed in the top ten of most charts that were compiled as the 'best songs ever to be made'. Some charts that failed to recognize this song as even being worthy of a top ten position are as follows:

500 Greatest Songs of All Time - Rolling Stones
1001 Best Songs Ever - Q Magazine
Global Best Song Ever Poll - New Musical Express
Best Songs of the Century - Recording Industry Association of America
Top 100 Songs of the Century - Broadcast Music, Inc.

There are also several charts that do include Bohemian Rhapsody in the top ten, but fail to recognize it as the best of the best, almost always including several songs at higher rankings than Bohemian Rhapsody. Such as:

250 Greatest Songs of the 70s - Sounds Entertainment's

Source:

II. Initial Chart Success

If a song is truly the best song ever - it would reflect in the ratings of its international release right? Let's take a look for a moment to see if there was a universal agreement that Bohemian Rhapsody was the best song ever (upon international release - 1976).

In Switzerland, the peak position was 4.
In Germany, the peak position was 7.
In Austria, the peak position was 8.
In France, the peak position was 15.
In Australia, the peak position was 5.
In Norway, the peak position was 4.
In Sweden, the peak position was 18.

Source:

The numbers speak volumes when one attempts to claim that a song is the best song ever. Clearly, it does not seem to appear that there was a universal concensus or even acknowledgment as Bohemian Rhapsody being the best song ever.

Therefore, I believe my argument stands that Bohemian Rhapsody is not the best song ever.

Posted by Ragnar 3 years ago
Ragnar
Vote Placed by EndarkenedRationalist 3 years ago
EndarkenedRationalist
HulkSmashBlade-of-TruthTied
Reasons for voting decision: One round debates man...they crush the instigator.
Vote Placed by Ragnar 3 years ago
Ragnar
HulkSmashBlade-of-TruthTied
Reasons for voting decision: As con said, this is very subjective... While I agree that it likely was the best by so many standards, pro failed to represent that; whereas con pointed out a far greater number of standards by which it was not the best.
Vote Placed by Zarroette 3 years ago
Zarroette
HulkSmashBlade-of-TruthTied
Reasons for voting decision: Again, these stupid 1 round debates are ridiculous if the instigator isn't going to start by making a substantial argument. Con annihilated Pro in terms of argument, making properly sourced, strong arguments.