tennis47
Typhlochactas

Is bullying a big thing?

Typhlochactas

tennis47

Con

You go first. ;)
Typhlochactas

Pro

Thank you to Con for initiating this debate. I am taking the Pro side, which means that I must prove that bullying is a big thing. Con does not define 'big', so I will. Big, in the context of this debate, simply means that it's worth paying attention to and discussing, while also having major implications. Given this definition, it is obvious that bullying is a 'big thing'.

#1: Many people are bullied.

I quote:

'Far from being isolated events, bullying is frighteningly commonplace across the country, according to a Clemson University study released Wednesday. In the largest survey of its kind to look at the issue, researchers surveyed 524,054 students at 1,593 schools across the nation over the last two years to get a better picture of bullying in grades three through 12.

They found that 17 percent of kids reported on anonymous questionnaires that they are being bullied two to three times a month or more. Of those bullied, nearly 40 percent of the girls and 45 percent of boys say it's been going on in some form — verbally, physically or online — for more than a year.'

A full 17% of the same size had been bullied two or three times a month or more. The total number of students in the United States is 54.7 million. Extrapolating, we can deduce that 9,1800,00 students have been bullied twice or three times a month or more.

Also consider:

'Many parents don't think that bullying is as big a problem as bringing a weapon to school or drug use but its effects can be severe and long lasting. Every day, nearly 160,000 children miss school because they are scared of bullying, according to the National Education Association. Bullying doesn't only negatively affect its victims, but also the bullies themselves.'

#2: Bullying is bad for the victims well-being.

• Suicide is the third leading cause of death among young people, resulting in about 4,400 deaths per year, according to the CDC. For every suicide among young people, there are at least 100 suicide attempts. Over 14 percent of high school students have considered suicide, and almost 7 percent have attempted it.
  • Bully victims are between 2 to 9 times more likely to consider suicide than non-victims, according to studies by Yale University
  • A study in Britain found that at least half of suicides among young people are related to bullying
  • 10 to 14 year old girls may be at even higher risk for suicide, according to the study above
  • According to statistics reported by ABC News, nearly 30 percent of students are either bullies or victims of bullying, and 160,000 kids stay home from school every day because of fear of bullying

Also consider the following:

'Students who are bullied regularly do substantially worse in school, UCLA psychologists report in a special issue of the Journal of Early Adolescence devoted to academic performance and peer relationships.

The UCLA study was conducted with 2,300 students in 11 Los Angeles–area public middle schools and their teachers. Researchers asked the students to rate whether or not they get bullied on a four-point scale and to list which of their fellow students were bullied the most—physically, verbally and as the subject of nasty rumors.

A high level of bullying was consistently associated with lower grades across the three years of middle school. The students who were rated the most-bullied performed substantially worse academically than their peers. Projecting the findings on grade-point average across all three years of middle school, a one-point increase on the four-point bullying scale was associated with a 1.5-point decrease in GPA for one academic subject (e.g., math)—a very large drop.'

#3: Conclusions

Bullying is harmful to the well-being of millions of students, and it is therefore a major problem that deserves attention.

tennis47

Con

Dude. When I say "big thing", I mean life-threatening.

Poverty is life threatening. Malnourishment is a big thing. Child labor is a big thing. Child abuse is a big thing. Not having access to clean water is a big thing.

;)
Typhlochactas

Pro

Con argues that I haven't showed suicide to be life-threatening. However, I clearly have, as I have posted statistics on the relationship between suicide and bullying. I will restate these statistics.

-Bully victims are between 2 to 9 times more likely to consider suicide than non-victims, according to studies by Yale University

Oh, but it says 'consider suicide', which means it doesn't have to be actual suicide! Right? Wrong!

-A study in Britain found that at least half of suicides among young people are related to bullying
10 to 14 year old girls may be at even higher risk for suicide, according to the study above

Back to Con.
tennis47

Con

UGH! You're acting just like everyone else in my class. They're all like, OH MY GOD! I GOT BULLIED AND I THOUGHT THAT I WAS GOING TO DIE! Well, guess what? Some people in this world have bigger problems than your pathetic excuses for sympathy! Some people actually have had a real taste of death! Some people commit suicide because they have REAL issues that deserve attention, like drugs or family issues, and those poor people never got the help they needed, BECAUSE THESE IDIOTIC PEOPLE WHO THINK THEY'RE SO SPECIAL STOLE THEIR CHANCES AT LIFE AWAY FROM THEM(by that I mean the "bullied" people apparently need ALL the help they can get, so they're stealing all the therapists.)! ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!

(That was me mentally screaming my anger out at the people in my class.)

Grrrrrrrrr! ;)
Typhlochactas

Pro

Con provides an angry rant that in no way addresses my last argument.

Extended.
tennis47

Con

Sorry about the last round. The same day I posted it we had this big discussion in class about bullying, and when the popular kids in my class( I'm kind of a loner) started crying about their personal experiences, well, I was just SO pissed off! For all I know, they're exaggerating and all they want is to be the center of attention.

Anyways, your opinion of bullying if influenced by the way you've been taught;that bullying is bad. But what annoys me is that schools waste so much money on getting people to come and talk to the kids about bullying and how it needs to be stopped; just buy a bunch of video cameras and catch the kids in the act! Instead of wasting that money on a stupid cause like bullying, use it to sponsor kids or pay for a kids' education! Use it wisely.

Take it from someone who knows: Compared to poverty, abuse, slavery, child labor, drinking, natural disasters, hunger issues, not having access to clean water, etc, Bullying is NOTHING!

Let's focus on some REAL issues, people.
Typhlochactas

Pro

'Sorry about the last round. The same day I posted it we had this big discussion in class about bullying, and when the popular kids in my class( I'm kind of a loner) started crying about their personal experiences, well, I was just SO pissed off! For all I know, they're exaggerating and all they want is to be the center of attention.'

Irrelevant. Ignored.

'Anyways, your opinion of bullying if influenced by the way you've been taught;that bullying is bad. But what annoys me is that schools waste so much money on getting people to come and talk to the kids about bullying and how it needs to be stopped; just buy a bunch of video cameras and catch the kids in the act! Instead of wasting that money on a stupid cause like bullying, use it to sponsor kids or pay for a kids' education! Use it wisely.'

Irrelevant. Ignored.

'Take it from someone who knows: Compared to poverty, abuse, slavery, child labor, drinking, natural disasters, hunger issues, not having access to clean water, etc, Bullying is NOTHING!'

Bare assertion fallacy.

'Let's focus on some REAL issues, people.'

Bare assertion fallacy.
tennis47

Con

Some people actually have REAL problems. Bullying is not one of them.
Vote Con, guys! ;)
Typhlochactas

Pro

Red herrings, bare assertions, irrelevant, off-topic tangents about school. This vote should be obvious.
Posted by Mendbnem 3 years ago
Mendbnem
(The alpha will assert itself and firmly grasp the radical's neck in order to calm them down and reestablish energy balance.)*
Posted by Mendbnem 3 years ago
Mendbnem
In my opinion, bullying happens not of the child's fault, but of the parents. We human's are still very instinctual and animalistic and so we prey on the weak. When a child is unstable because of not of enough love or attention in the household they are susceptible to bullying or being bullied to make up for that gap. Normally the person being bullied is submissive or timid. As we are still very much animals we see that as a weakness and attack that person to create a balance of energy; eg. When a dog in a pack is radical in excitement, dominance (if it is not alpha), etc... The alpha will assert itself and firmly grasp the radical's neck in order to calm them down and reestablish energy imbalance. Now, it isn't exactly like that for us human's because we aren't as sensitive to the imbalance of energy in nature since we are not active with that part of the mind. But we do sense minor energies; ex. The buzz of a concert, or when there is about to be a fight that we are not apart of (A tangent of my own experience), when I experienced being around a to be fight for the first time I felt a rush I couldn't stop looking around, I couldn't clearly think, and I felt very energetic and afterwards I realized this a reflected that we are still in fact creatures of nature to be able to pick up hints such as those. So when a child is bullied often times they are insecure and so are the bullies. The biggest culprit is the home and how we grew up. Now this is why in my opinion we will never be able to fully stop bullying (unless the government started to micromanage the household, scary thought), but can only be prevented if those who are bullied show their confidence. Professor Amy J.C. Cuddy did a study that shows how you can make yourself more confident by a process called power posing. http://www.hbs.edu... she also has a seminar in body language on Ted Talks: LifeHacks.
Posted by ProNoob 4 years ago
ProNoob
tennis47, you aren't actually funny at all.

You are a bully who justifies his actions by the fact that there are bigger problems than bullying.

Well that's like your wife saying "Hey buddy you got a big one down there ;)" and you complaining that her compliment is false and slapping her for lying.
Posted by ConservativeAmerican 4 years ago
ConservativeAmerican
Pro argument made a logical argument that combined philosophical prowess with logic and facts, Con went on personal rants that were irrelevant to the Pro argument most of the time.
Posted by BillyTheKids 4 years ago
BillyTheKids
Dunno what to say but the arguments seem both not about how the actual argument is...
Posted by tennis47 4 years ago
tennis47
At least I got all my anger out at my class in round 3 ;)
Posted by tmar19652 4 years ago
tmar19652
The suicide is not caused by bullying. Suicide is a 100% personal choice.
Vote Placed by The_Master_Riddler 4 years ago
The_Master_Riddler
tennis47TyphlochactasTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con barely made an argument.
Vote Placed by imabench 4 years ago
imabench
tennis47TyphlochactasTied
Reasons for voting decision: "Red herrings, bare assertions, irrelevant, off-topic tangents about school" - Pro summed up cons arguments better then I could. Arguments and conduct go to pro since hes arguments were far superior and it seems that con didnt even care towards the end