rnannarone
Swimmergal1

Is cheerleading a sport?

Started: 1/24/2012 Category: Sports

rnannarone

Pro

I spent majority of my time outside of school cheering. Participating on the sidelines cheering on my schools sports teams and even competing at the national level against other squads. But i have a problem when people make the comment that cheerleading isn't considered a sport. First of all i think that cheerleaders are 100% considered athletes, and that they don't get the respect and honor they deserve. These girls spend hours a week perfecting routines and learning moves that most athletes couldn't do even if they tried. It's a sport and just because there are no helmets or balls involved doesn't mean it's not considered a sport.
Swimmergal1

Con

Now first I must say that I am not hating on cheerleaders..I'm just here to make a point. I have seen cheer leading before. Yes, some people believe that it is a sport. Some do not. I believe that it's the way each person views sports. Many people judge if a sport is really a sport based on if it's in the Olympics or not. Last time I checked, cheer leading was not in the Olympics. But football isn't either and that is considered the ultimate American Sport. People may judge if a sport is really a sport by how popular it is. Cheer leading is popular among young teenage girls/guys, but is it really that popular with the rest of the population? The definition of a sport is "Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively." This is true for cheer leading. Like I said, it's all decided by what YOU believe in and what YOU think is the definition of a "sport".
rnannarone

Pro

I think that people don't truly appreciate all the blood sweat and tears cheerleaders put into their work. I've seen girls who spend every waking moment outside of school at the gym practicing their craft and making it so they can learn new skills to better themselves in the sport. First of all cheerleaders have just as much strentgh and endurance as any football, baseball or basketball player does. They have to be able to lift girls who can weigh over 100 pounds over the heads and keep them up there. Their also responsible for making sure those girls are caught if they do fall. That takes months of strentgh training to do. They also need strong muscles to be able to do the flips and such that they throw during every routine. Those girls and guys put so much into making sure their muscles are strong enough to make sure they get the job done. Not to mention cheerleaders have incredible endurance. You have to be able to make it through a 5 minute routine with music dancing and so much movement it could make you dizzy. You have to keep your energy up and remember to smile all while performing for a crowd. It isn't easy, and i think people don't take the time to appreciate it. These guys and girls are athletes, and are able to put on a show that is both interesting and fun to watch. Their strong and they control their movements with effort and grace that some athletes couldn't do even in their dreams. I think it would be possible to make cheerleading a sport in the olympics. I feel that it's become widespeard through out more countries than just the US and could very much well have a chance to be something on a national level. I feel that if enough people get behind it and truly push it, it could happen.
Swimmergal1

Con

Swimmergal1 forfeited this round.
rnannarone

Pro

rnannarone forfeited this round.
Swimmergal1

Con

I have been looking recently at the comments by other viewers and I noticed that they have said a lot about the difference between sideline cheer-leading and competitive cheer-leading. I will bring this argument to the front, due to the fact that I believe that this is what my competitor is trying to debate on.

The definition of a "Sideline Cheer-leading" is "Cheerleaders that cheer for a sports team at school." Bring back my first argument, does that qualify as a sport? Definition of sport is "Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively." Now "Sideline Cheer-leading" isn't competitive,so that must make it NOT a sport.

Now the definition of Competitive Cheer-leading" is "Cheerleading that is not on the sidelines cheering on a sports team, but it's own independent sport." Does this part of Cheer-leading follow through with the definition of a sport? I believe it does.

BUT, It is all p to you, the voters, to choose which side you believe the most. You could be a cheerleader yourself and vote for my competitor. Or you could be a football player or swimmer or a different type of sport and believe that you work harder or you just think that cheer-leading is not a sport. It's all based on what YOU believe in.
rnannarone

Pro

rnannarone forfeited this round.
Swimmergal1

Con

As you can see, my competitor has forfeited two rounds...I will not post another argument until she replies to my previous argument.
rnannarone

Pro

rnannarone forfeited this round.
Swimmergal1

Con

Again my competitor has forfeited yet another round. Since this is the last round, you voters will have to base your votes on the first few rounds. I will not post another argument due to my competitors lack of replying. This has been an eye opening debate and I thank all who vote on my behalf.
Posted by Jbrownell 4 years ago
Jbrownell
I believe that competitive cheer is a sport but I do not believe that sideline is. In competitive cheer you are practicing the same things you would playing football, volleyball etc. You are putting hard work into it and practicing teamwork. You have to be phyically fit in order to be in competitive cheer. You have to be able to lift others and do gymnastics. Therefore, competitive cheer is a sport.
Posted by butlebro000 4 years ago
butlebro000
Sideline cheerleading is NOT a sport. However, competitve cheerleading is. Sideline is not competing against anyone and competitive cheer obviously is. When you are in sideling, you cheer on the crowd. I'm not saying sideline cheerleading is hard because I know it's not. I've been in sideline cheer for 8 years and i totally agree it is hard. But it is not a sport.