Kat2015
TheSymbiote

Is cheerleading a sport?

Started: 10/22/2014 Category: Sports

Kat2015

Con

honestly, no I don't think that cheerleading is a sport. but I do have one exception...competitive cheer. but sideline cheer is honestly nothing. All they do is stand there and yell and try to get the crowd to be into the game. Most teams don't even do flips or anything. so no cheerleading is not a sport
TheSymbiote

Pro

Well fine sir, I understand that you don't think that cheerleading is a sport. But what is a sport? According to the MerriamR09;Webster dictionary "an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment" As you can see, cheerleading involves physical exertion. The cheerleaders are the people who ramp up the players. They say chants like "Lets go wildcats" (or whatever team) that pump up the team. So cheerleading is a sport. So basically the pep rallys are sports too
Kat2015

Con

well excuse you i'm a ma'am."an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature." So really cheerleaders dont compete against eachother unless they are in competitive cheer. Cheerleaders wear makeup and get their hair done. I'm pretty sure that if they were actually working out it would get messy (which it dosen't). Most females that cheer do it to be popular. It is a new stereotype now. Mean popular cheerleaders do it just to have a good reputation.
TheSymbiote

Pro

Miss, I can't believe I am hearing this from you. Could you please explain what is cheerleading without competition? For, cheerleading you must be represented by a team or school right? You just don't cheerlead out in the open and dance for nothing. You are pumoing up your team.
Kat2015

Con

If a cheerleader asked me if I think cheerleading is a sport I would say did you win? How many points did you get? If they could not answer then cheerleading is NOT a sport! All they do is jump around for 2.5 minutes. Seriously? Is that what qualifies as a sport these days? And just because something is dangerous doesn't qualify it to be a sport.
TheSymbiote

Pro

Then again Miss. Read the definition of sport. According to you gymnastics isn't a sport. Yet it is because it is something that involves physical exertion. That is what sports are.
Kat2015

Con

In gymnastics you earn points to get a score at the end of the day, You end up winning the match. in cheerleading you do not earn points. You stand there all night. With no direct competition, and having results not concrete, but instead decided by a 3rd party. It is not considered a sport. There needs to be an option of an offense and defense in sporting, from chess, to tennis, to fishing, to football, there is a direct action I can undertake to win
TheSymbiote

Pro

"an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment"

Physical Exertion= Dancing/Lifting

Skill= Knowing the moves

Individual or Team: Cheerleaders represent their school/state

Entertainment: People get to see dancing/gets team pumped up

i mean really. I didn't want to make you angry or anything, but damn u are ornery
Kat2015

Con

Honestly, the definition of the sport is in the eyes of the beholder. If one person thinks it is a sport they will not chnage their views no matter what, and vis versa
TheSymbiote

Pro

Wow. So you are basically just not accepting that you have lost?

Cheerleading is a sport