tiger65
jennabarzak

Is coaching legalized bullying?

jennabarzak
Started: 11/27/2013 Category: Sports

tiger65

Pro

In my opinion coaching is a form of legalized bullying. I myself have had a personal experience with this. In my senior year at high school I quit football due to bullying by the coaches. I had grown tired of constantly being put down and called vulgar names. For those who will assume I was a bench warmer I will let you know I was being scouted by Osu, Texas Tech, Tulsa, TCU, and Ou. I knew my job on the field and did it to the best of my ability. There was another player on my team who had it worse than everyone else. The coach did not like the child and proceeded to call him vulgar names and embarrass him in front of the whole team. The player quit the team and a lawsuit was soon filed to sue the coach because the player had become so depressed because of this bullying that he was going to commit suicide. There were many players on the team who felt the same way as this player but were afraid of what their peers would think of them if they quit. The coach would constantly use racial slurs in practice and in games towards our own players and others. When yelling at players he could be physical and extremely vulgar. While I realize that this may not apply to all coaches it does apply to many.
jennabarzak

Con

I would like to thank my opponent for creating what I assume will be an interesting debate. Best of luck.

Coaches are hired to help their team excel. Each coach has a different style. Normally, I believe you will find that coaches do not engage in the use of vulgar language to attack their team.
Coaches are hired because they know what they're talking about; they have experience in the sport or subject and they can help their athletes (or scholars if you're including different academic teams) improve their techniques and ability to play their sport. Most coaches take a supportive stance and try to encourage their team, offering constructive criticism, rather than tearing them down to the point where they want to quit. The coach generally has his team's best interest in mind.
It can also be said that people have varying levels of sensitivity, and what may be a "stern meeting" for someone could also be looked at as being brutally yelled at by their coach.
In my personal experience, I have had several different coaches for different teams - both athletic and academic, and I have also witnessed other coaches and their teams interacting both in public and in private, and I have never seen a coach act out of line and make a player feels as though his life is worthless or upset them to the point of quitting his team.
People have disagreements all the time, and it is human nature to hold grudges and become upset with others, but it is not to an extent (in most cases) of tormenting as bullying is.
tiger65

Pro

You make a valid point with your argument. Please remember that I did say it wasn't this way with ALL coaches. To continue my argument I will give another example. A player in basketball was forced to quit because of being bullied by a coach. The player was constantly told that he wasn't any good and was called names pertaining to his sexual orientation. After one game the player even had a clipboard thrown at himself. When a coaches technique of coaching consists of belittling a player to the point of quitting or thoughts of suicide, it's no different than bullying. A coach is there to help players better their athletic ability not bully a player into quitting. A player is able to accept criticism up to a point, but when that criticism starts to become too harsh then the coach is participating in bullying.
jennabarzak

Con

I acknowledge that this debate is not about all coaches, but coaches in general.
In general, coaches are role models for their pupils. Coaches are supportive figures that not only teach their team to excel in their sport, but show them how to be leaders, to be respectful and aware of their surroundings, as well as basic morals. (1) In most cases, coaches are not a "bad guy".
Coaches usually have an idea of their role in the developement aspects of their children's lives and will be responsible enough not to do anything so drastic that would damage the children. Coaches have a sensitive job and build relationships with their teams in order to succeed as a group. (2)

I do not believe Pro's argument is strong enough, where although there are cases where coaches abuse their powers, most coaches are not bullies. In general, most coaches stay within their boundaries and are payed for the job they are assigned and are able to maintain healthy symbiotic relationships with their team and help them more than hurt them.

1. http://www.sciencedaily.com...
2.http://www.nfhs.org...
tiger65

Pro

tiger65 forfeited this round.
jennabarzak

Con

I extend my previous arguments. Vote con!
Vote Placed by ej3467273 3 years ago
ej3467273
tiger65jennabarzakTied
Reasons for voting decision: Sources, Pro ff.
Vote Placed by yay842 3 years ago
yay842
tiger65jennabarzakTied
Reasons for voting decision: sources, FF
Vote Placed by ndedo 3 years ago
ndedo
tiger65jennabarzakTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro ff and had a weak stance on the topic; he tried to change the point of contention and really just focused on trying to show that some coaches have been bullies in certain situations, not really supporting his main point.