karlireynolds23
FlammableX

Is college really as necessary as people seem to think it is?

FlammableX

karlireynolds23

Con

With the average college costing about $40,000 a year and it is not guaranteed that one will get the job they choose, is college really worth all the money, stress, and four years of one's life?
FlammableX

Pro

I accept this debate. I will let you post the first argument. I hope to have a very thoughtful debate.
karlireynolds23

Con

On average, one year in college costs an annual $40,000. Although I agree that to fully be prepared for college, one should set aside money beforehand making their debts significantly less. Even if someone was to do that, they would still have college loans to be paid and are not guaranteed they will immediately receive a job corresponding with their degree. After four years in college it is very possible to come out in debt with no job. Contrary to this, it is also possible to come out with no debt and a well paying job, yet today that is unlikely. I am someone who believes that in order to succeed in life, you have to go out into the real world and experience things that you can relay into your future experiences, rather than reading about something in a book and going out and looking for it. Some degrees people earn in college are very unlikely to get a job, but if that degree is something someone really enjoys and wants to spend their life doing, who is to tell them they shouldn't do it because they will not get a job in that field? College is not worth all the money and time people say it is.
FlammableX

Pro

I will be arguing that yes, indeed, college is as necessary as people seem to think it is, and it is paramount to go to college instead of not.

Contention #1: College graduates make more money.
One major reason to go to college is the simple fact that college graduates make more money on average. According to a study by Collegeboard, the median income for a family headed by someone who had earned a college degree was almost double that of the median income of a family headed by a high-school graduate only. Another study by Michael Greenstone and Adam Looney shows that people with a bachelor"s degree earned $30,000 more than a high school graduate on average. [1]

Contention #2: More and more jobs require college degrees.
Another major factor into going to college is that many jobs require a college degree. In fact, according to a Georgetown University study, jobs which require a college degree tend to pay much higher than those jobs who only require a high school degree. Also, the study projected that by 2018, 63% of all jobs will require a college degree - thus a majority of the jobs will require a college degree. [2]

Contention #3: College graduates have more and better employment opportunities.
In the same study by the college board in 2013, it showed the unemployment rate for college graduates with a bachelor's degree was 3.6%, while the rate for high school graduates was 7.5%, and 11.4% for high school drop-outs. In other words, the data supports the claim that people with college degrees are more likely to have better chances at getting a job, and will have better employment opportunities. [3]

Contention #4: College graduates are healthier and live longer (on average).
In an article by Marcelina Hardy, Hardy claims that college graduates are healthier and live longer. In numerous polls she found that in 2008, 70% of college graduates had access to employer-provided health insurance, compared to the 50% of high school graduates. [4]

Contention #5: The children of college graduates are healthier and more prepared for school.
Although correlation does not imply causation, mothers with only a high school education are 31% more likely to give birth to a low-birth-weight baby than a woman with a college degree, according to a study by Sandy Baum, Jennifer Ma, and Kathleen Pays. [5]. Also, "18% more children aged 3 to 5 years old with mothers who have a bachelor's degree could recognize all letters compared to children of high school graduates."

[1]: College Board, "Trends in College Pricing, 2011," www.advocacy.collegeboard.org, 2011
[2]: Anthony P. Carnevale, Nicole Smith, Jeff Strohl, "Help Wanted: Projections of Jobs and Education Requirements through 2018," www.georgetown.edu, June 2010
[3]: College Board, "Trends in College Pricing, 2011," www.advocacy.collegeboard.org, 2011
[4]: Marcelina Hardy, "7 Benefits of Earning a College Degree," www.education.yahoo.net, 2013
[5]: Sandy Baum, Jennifer Ma, and Kathleen Pays, "Education Pays 2010: The Benefits of Higher Education for Individuals and Society," www.collegeboard.com, 2010
karlireynolds23

Con

karlireynolds23 forfeited this round.
FlammableX

Pro

My opponent has forfeited. Extend all arguments.
karlireynolds23

Con

karlireynolds23 forfeited this round.
FlammableX

Pro

Extend all arguments.
karlireynolds23

Con

karlireynolds23 forfeited this round.
FlammableX

Pro

Extend all arguments... I had hoped for an interesting thought provoking debate. Thank you anyway Con and vote Pro.
Posted by jstefanir 1 year ago
jstefanir
I used to think it was necessary to have a bachelor's degree. However, when I was 22 and balancing school with low-wage jobs, I came to the conclusion that life was passing me by and if I acquired debt and didn't start saving now, I'd probably still be broke in my 30s. People go to college for the networking opportunity to meet like-minded people. However, now that we live in the age of information, networking is easier than ever and you don't have to be part of a fraternity to make good connections. It's not about what you know but who. Stephen Hawking once said "Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change" That means, going into a new job, getting a hang of the training process and learning the skill. Some people have a degree but are totally unprepared for the transition in to the real world. Likewise, you have people without a degree who pickup skills on the job easily. I'm not saying NOT to get a degree, but what I am saying is, sometimes its beneficial to pick up some hands-on work experience first, work your way up and wait until you're high up enough in the company to where pursuing a degree becomes a necessity.
Posted by jstefanir 1 year ago
jstefanir
Vote Placed by U.n 1 year ago
U.n
karlireynolds23FlammableXTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture
Vote Placed by hidude45454 1 year ago
hidude45454
karlireynolds23FlammableXTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con forfeited many rounds. Neither debater had noticeable grammar or spelling errors that detracted from the debate. Pro used more factual arguments, while con only relied on personal opinion, while not replying to pro's arguments. Finally, pro was the only one who used sources which were useful to his points.