willthekrilll
kawaii_crazy

Is competition cheerleading a sport

kawaii_crazy
Started: 9/10/2013 Category: Sports

willthekrilll

Pro

As a competition cheerleader i am tired of people saying it is not a sport. Some cheerleaders have better bodies than athletes in other sports. Schools recongize it as a sport, if you go to almost any school website it is under athletics. I do allstar as well and i am at the gym everyday working out. Dictionary.com says a sport is an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature. Im pretty sure COMPETITIVE cheerleading is competitive. also not anyone can throw a whip to a double just willy nilly. it requires skill just as said in the definition. we may only have 2.30 minutes to perform but it takes months of training and we look cute while doing it. injuries are most common in cheerleading, this past year alone i have broken my pelvis and dislocated my knee and right now i have a brusied sternum and two broken ribs and tonight i am still going to practice because i am dedicated to my team. We may not throw balls or hit each other with sticks but we are none the less a sport.
kawaii_crazy

Con

Yes, many cheerleaders exercise in their routines. Yes, many say cheerleader is a sport. But personally, I think cheer leading ISN'T a sport!!! Dictionary.com defines a sport as an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature. Cheer leading is competitive. Cheer leading does not require any skill whatsoever. Anyone can come up with stupid cheers and anyone can learn gymnastics with practice. An power? Well for power, the only power cheerleaders have is popularity power. Cheerleaders' stereotypes are usually seen as dumb and popular and mean. High school cheer leaders aren't so bad but middle school ones are horrible. There's this one cheerleader I know who isn't mean but that's it. They usually are mean (no offense to those who are kind) and the only power they usually hold is the power queen bees have.
willthekrilll

Pro

willthekrilll forfeited this round.
kawaii_crazy

Con

kawaii_crazy forfeited this round.
willthekrilll

Pro

willthekrilll forfeited this round.
kawaii_crazy

Con

Just because schools list cheer leading under "Athletics", this doesn't mean it is an ACTUAL sport! Personally, I don't think cheerleaders should even be considered athletes because they do not need to be skillful. Say, in football, you must have the ability to actually throw a ball in a straight line (which, surprisingly, many people can't do). You've gotta have the body and frame to be good at a kind of football where you tackle people. For cheer leading, you do not need to be born with any special skills. Sure, it helps if you are double-jointed, but anyone can learn how to do a back-handspring. And as for the body, it only takes a simple diet to get in shape for cheer leading and lots of practice, but no real skill!
willthekrilll

Pro

willthekrilll forfeited this round.
kawaii_crazy

Con

Since I don't really have any more reasons and my opponent keeps on forfeiting rounds, I'll move onto a new topic. There is the fact that most cheerleaders and jock stereotypes are snobby, self-absorbed, and mean. Usually people say the popular kids are athletically involved, jocks are dumb and/or hot, cheerleaders are mean and/or self-centered, and the nerds know nothing about sports. Sadly, this is sometimes/ most of the times true in high schools and/or middle schools in America. At my school, the jocks aren't dumb (most are in TAG) and lots are pretty "ugly". The cheerleaders are sometimes self-absorbed but I am also friends with some who are involved in lots of charities. Most blondes and cheerleaders in my school can be bullies sometimes and/or real mean. But really, I don't think stereotypes are right in this society. Everyone is different and stereotypes such as:
cheerleaders are mean
jocks are dumb
black people are criminals most of the times
Asian people look weird
Hispanic people talk too much
white people are snobs;
are just plain mean! I hate stereotypes! I really do. I know this has nothing to do with the debate topic, but I guess this is kind of related with cheerleaders and all, plus, my opponent forfeited all the rounds anyway.
Posted by VaIerie 3 years ago
VaIerie
Agreed with willthekrill, though I can't say forfeiting helped her.

I'm personally not a cheer leader, but it does require skill. Just because it's a "girl" sport doesn't make it any less of a sport.
Posted by donkey52 3 years ago
donkey52
Cheerleaders aren't too bad unless you are a weirdo...
Posted by sweetazgrey 3 years ago
sweetazgrey
I was a cheerleader myself and I had a hard time. It was fun, but all those workouts and stunt preparations were a pain. I consider cheer-leading a sport not just because it's included as athletics at school, but because it takes the same and dedication as any other sport. I have also done softball, basketball, and tennis. It takes the same dedication on all sports. It sad when others don't see that and call you names and stuff like that for doing cheer. Those shows and girls that are mean give cheer a bad name. I would like to see more people try to do cheer and see how it feels or gymnastics.
Posted by kawaii_crazy 3 years ago
kawaii_crazy
you know, i really don't like it when people forfeit debates.
Posted by Mikal 4 years ago
Mikal
I don't think you will find someone to contest this. It is by definition a sport.
Posted by Mikal 4 years ago
Mikal
Vote Placed by PatriotPerson 3 years ago
PatriotPerson
willthekrilllkawaii_crazyTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pretty bad debate all together because of all the FFs, but agreements tied because I never really cared for this subject, conduct to Con because he/she FFed less, S&G tied because Pro did not provide enough arguments to contest the two's grammar...arguments to Con because he/she had more. Sources are tied because none were used.
Vote Placed by Ragnar 3 years ago
Ragnar
willthekrilllkawaii_crazyTied
Reasons for voting decision: FF. I actually kind of like countzander's vote existing (as much as it really should not have awarded argument points)... This is however all irrelevant to the resolution, the only thing that matters is if anyone's lost an eye.
Vote Placed by MassiveDump 3 years ago
MassiveDump
willthekrilllkawaii_crazyTied
Reasons for voting decision: Full Forfeit. Also, shame on countzander's vote. Votes should be based on the arguments presented, not one's silly little cheerleader opinions.
Vote Placed by countzander 3 years ago
countzander
willthekrilllkawaii_crazyTied
Reasons for voting decision: Cheerleading is a sport. It fits the definitions of a sport, as Pro more or less demonstrated. Con tried to counter by saying cheerleading doesn't require skill. This is absurd, and I would like to see Con successfully build a human pyramid on first attempt. Spelling and grammar were poor on both sides. Neither side used refetences. Con had better conduct since there was no forfeit.