Is dance a sport?

Started: 10/15/2015 Category: Sports

Of course dance is a sport!

Google's definition of sport is an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

First of all I want to say that dancing requires physical movement and exertion. By dancing you practise and strengthen your muscles. Just like many other sports you obtain skill by practising at least 20 hours a week. Even if you have talent you need to practise to improve. Dancing can be individual like archery, athletics, cross country running etc. Dancing can be competed in teams like basketball, football, cheerleading etc. If you say sports can only be competed either in teams or individual, think again. Many sports can be competed in teams or individual for example swimming, tennis, etc. Dance can also be for entertainment or it can be for a competition.

Some dancers must exceed even the toughest warm ups that most sport athletes must be able to do.
"We condition every rehearsal, which includes a six minute plank, three hundred sit ups, fifty burpees, we run laps, and a lot more. We become complete athletes. I have practice for twenty hours a week in order to prepare for the competitions," said SRHS Senior Lauren Allaire, dancer of 14 years.

On "Sport means all forms of physical activity which, through casual or organised participation, aim at improving physical fitness and mental well-being, forming social relationships or obtaining results in competition at all levels." That includes dancing.

Just like diving, dancing is practised over and over to be perfected. Still the points just depends on the judges. Ponting your toes or not they decide if you're good enough for at least a 9.

Other sports can also be just for entertainment. I promise you, you dive at least once a decade into a pool without it being judged.
No matter how much pink or glitter is involved. Dancing is definitely a sport!

Sports and dance may converge at the point that they are both physically strenuous, however in my belief that is where the similarity ends.

You see dance is an art form. Art forms have the capacity to express human emotions in a beautiful way. Dance tells stories, makes us feel emotions. It is as if the artist paints a picture through her movements. I do not believe that sports can achieve that. While sports deals with excellence in physical prowess dance deals with excellence in artistic prowess.

I believe sports are programmed to be competitive while dance being an art form is naturally expressive. Running is useless if not to prove you are faster. Dance can however stand out alone and impress people.

I don't agree with the statement that the only similarity is that there is only physical movements. Other similarities include:
1. You have to be flexible
2. You also have to be strong
3. Have stamina
4. Have endurance
5. Love the sport

Neither do I agree with you that sport don't carry emotions. Don't you feel sad if your team lose? Or excited when your team score a goal? Stressed or mad?

Dance is either competitive or just for entertainment. Thus is the goal of dance to prove you are a better dancer than the others. Lots of sports can be for competition or entertainment.
1. Diving
2. Skateboard
3. Ice skating
All these sports is useless if they don't impress people.

My conclusion is that dance is a sport.

debrarara forfeited this round.

nyqii forfeited this round.

debrarara forfeited this round.