ENTP_R
Shanaya14611

Is dance a sport?

ENTP_R has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 1 year ago Status: Debating Period

ENTP_R

Pro

Dance is 100% a sport. I dance 4 days a week, and it is physically exhausting. I know some people say it isn't a sport, but is an art. Ok, yes, it is an art. However, it is ALSO a sport. The definition of sport is "an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment." Does dance require physical exertion? Yes. Does dance require skill? Yes. Is dance individual or teams? Yes. Is dance done for entertainment? Yes. Therefore, making it a sport.
Shanaya14611

Con

If you're reading this, there's a good chance that you are a dancer, and your blood is boiling underneath your skin because I have tapped into my inner middle school boy and insulted your favorite thing in the world. Maybe you are one of the people who agree because all dancers do is tip toe around in pink tutus, and there's nothing athletic about that. I'm not a mean middle school boy undermining the skill it takes to be a dancer, though. Actually, I'm quite the opposite. I'm a girl who has dedicated her heart and soul to the art form; and that's just what it is. DANCE IS AN ART, NOT A SPORT !

A sport is simply defined as, "An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment." Now, yes, some could say that competition dancing is a sport. In fact, when I was a competitive dancer I too considered dance to be a sport. However, as I further my dance training, I realize that dance is so much more than a sport. Dance is physical exertion and skill that is capable of tapping into an audience's emotions to make them feel a specific way. That's art, plain and simple.
Posted by avery.dzuroff 1 year ago
avery.dzuroff
Dance can be a sport. Ballet is defined as an art. A sport requires skill. Dance is probably the most skillful sport (other than gymnastics). Most people can hit a ball or throw one. It really depends on if you see it more on the sporter side. But do not come to me saying chess is a sport.