DancerrLifexxPLL
manofthehour

Is dance a sport?

DancerrLifexxPLL
Started: 5/16/2014 Category: Sports

DancerrLifexxPLL

Pro

I strongly believe dance is a sport. The definition of a sport is: an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment. Dance involves physical exertion and skill, and in dance competitions you compete both individually and with a team. I am willing and ready to defend my statement, so if you believe otherwise please logically explain.
manofthehour

Con

To start off, the fact that you went onto a website to argue if dancing is a sport is completely pathetic. It's common knowledge, little girls prancing along a floor is a borderline pornographic site, let alone a sin. Let me guess, you dance? Thought so, well let's try and keep your emotions out of it and face the facts. Dancing is an activity, practically an entertainment for older men. Stop trying to compensate for your poor childhood by believing you were some varsity athlete. Enough.
DancerrLifexxPLL

Pro

Listen, I'm not saying that I am some varsity athlete, but I am plain sick and tired of people not considering it a sport. I work just as hard as any other athlete does. Also, you have obviously taken a stereotype of 'little girls prancing along the floor'. Can you do a simple triple pirouette? Probably not. Plus, that's like saying every football player is a complete douche, which is not true. Until you have taken even just a 2 hour rehearsal at my studio, you can't tell me that dance is an entertainment for older men. Dancing can be an activity, but when you dance 35 hours a week with intense conditioning: it is a sport. And if it's really so pathetic that I'm on a website arguing that dance is the sport (which is only because it doesn't get the recognition it deserves), why are you here arguing that it's not. You don't really have a strong argument here, your only stating untrue opinions and stereotypes. When you actually have a real argument, try and debate your side.
manofthehour

Con

Ok lady listen, I am going to speak on behalf of America, dancing is not a sport. I'm not sure how to make this more clear. A triple pirouette sounds like a French pastry so don't try and trick me there. Dancing is an activity, same as killing puppies and masturbating, but I'm not going to the Olympics for beating it. I'm here to argue on behalf of the only brains left on this sh*t hole of a country. Don't think that prancing, and if that offends you, skipping across a gymnasium is a sport for one second. Obviously your mom didn't put down the fork to beat your stupid as*. QUIT!
DancerrLifexxPLL

Pro

If you are really speaking on behalf of America, than how come when polls are taken the majority says dance is a sport? Also, in a study in 1970, dance was said to be the 3rd most dangerous sport mentally and physically, only after gymnastics and water polo. And once again, if you think skipping across the floor for one second is what dancing is, clearly you have no idea what you are talking about. Look up Acrobatic Ballet--Memory or Sophia Lucia 54 turns (she's 11 btw): tell me if you can do that. You are obviously to stubborn to ever believe me when I say dancing is freaking hard. And technically by definition, dance is still a sport. When I made this debate, I intended the person to actually have some explanations to their arguments, and you are still coming into the debate strong with the idea that all dancers do is skip/prance across the floor. So I'll tell you what, I'm not going to quit, because I still haven't gotten a real reason dance isn't a sport.
manofthehour

Con

Well, to start the majority of America is f*cking stupid. You want facts, "About 1 in 4 Americans can name more than one of the five freedoms guaranteed by the First Amendment (freedom of speech, religion, press, assembly and petition for redress of grievances.) But more than half of Americans can name at least two members of the fictional cartoon family, according to a survey." We can relate more to a fictional character than having knowledge of our own amendments. So if your trying to make it seem like America is the the smartest and greatest thing ever your either white trash or stupid, and in your case both. So listen her honey boo boo, dancing requires skills such as memorization, which I acknowledge as a difficult task, but not a sport. If dance is considered a sport, than so should a spelling bee. You said you work hard, well whoopdie f*cking doo, the only thing your doing is pushing off the workload your going to have to do in the kitchen! Dance may be difficult for Roshelle Wilder, but never is it dangerous for the level of a typical dancer. Don't make it seem like your walking into a battlefield you're only discrediting yourself even more. If you are so positive that dancing is a sport why is their controversy here. No one argues if football or lacrosse are sports, but your arguing for dance. I get it, you wished you played basketball, but don't you dare try to change what little dignity this country has left . Sports have been around forever, and are a great part of what this country is known for, so let it go and stop wasting your precious time posting a stupid comment, the floors need to be washed.
DancerrLifexxPLL

Pro

Just an FYI, I will not be posting any more arguments. I've gotten my point across, but it seems that you'll never accept it. But know that the "average level of dancer" is not what I was referring to. If I were saying that every single dancer was an athlete or played a sport, that would be like every elementary school kid who plays soccer at recces or during gym plays a sport. You also can't tell me I'm don't play a sport, when exactly what I do, every single day fit the description of a sport. I dance over 35 hours a week with intense conditioning and 7 hours on pointe (look it up I'm not trying to trick you with fancy language). I am in dance competition every other week, and tend to do really well. You thought I was a little girl with dreams, you were sort of right, but I don't dream of dance becoming a sport. I dream of ignorant people like you finally realizing that maybe, sometimes dance is actually a sport. Stop lashing out at me with your narrow-minded thought, but know when I forfeit next round, it's not because I'm out of arguments, but because I'm tired of you putting me in a bad mood and ruining me day. You'll probably make some impolite comment about me in your next round, but know to everyone about to say something mean to or about me, I don't care anymore. Oh also stop beinging sexist, because it's just plain rude.
manofthehour

Con

You're right about one thing, I won. P.S. 95% of those sentences were fragments.
DancerrLifexxPLL

Pro

DancerrLifexxPLL forfeited this round.
manofthehour

Con

manofthehour forfeited this round.
Posted by Austinator97 2 years ago
Austinator97
I don't think you understand... You are comparing a charecterization you believe football players possess to an action the dancers can be said to take part in. Anyone can do a triple pirouette. Just because one survey said that it was dangerous means nothing. Guess how many surest have said dance was lame. Your argument is invalid
Posted by DancerrLifexxPLL 2 years ago
DancerrLifexxPLL
Austinator97: I'm pretty sure the majority of the people on this earth cannot do a triple pirouette (three turns on one leg, on your toes, with proper placement), and I really wasn't trying to trick him. I also wasn't trying to be rude to football players either. I was only saying that dancers are not just little girls prancing, just like football players are not douches. It's just how sometimes people peg things with completely untrue things. I'm sorry if I offended you, but also taking one sentence out of my debate and saying it makes my whole argument small, is not how it works.
Posted by Austinator97 2 years ago
Austinator97
Ok based off of your 2nd round dancer lady, im pretty sure everyone on the face of this earth can do a triple pirouette... its literally just a spin so the fact that you tried to fool him by using some fancy language shows how small your argument is... and your comparison to football players was incredibly irrelevant. He said that dancers were like little girls prancing, you gave a rude characteristic that football players are pegged with. You cant compare an action to a characteristic.
Posted by Zarlak 2 years ago
Zarlak
Its going to be very difficult to debate against this, but good luck to those who try.
Posted by schachdame 2 years ago
schachdame
It would be easier to ask "is chess a sport" ^^ seriously who is going to argue the other side?
Vote Placed by Themba 2 years ago
Themba
DancerrLifexxPLLmanofthehourTied
Reasons for voting decision: The resolution is too one sided and Con resorted to personal attacks. A record of Con's valiant civil statements "Stop trying to compensate for your poor childhood by believing you were some varsity athlete" | "Obviously your mom didn't put down the fork to beat your stupid as*." | "pushing off the workload your going to have to do in the kitchen" |. Personal attacks and Ad Homs as well as insulting your opponent is a misconduct, as it is irrelevant and holds 0 substantiation to the resolution. Con was trolling in an otherwise normal debate where there shouldn't be.So Conduct point to Pro