Mr.Lee
JacobAnderson

Is debating worthless?

JacobAnderson

Mr.Lee

Pro

There is many arguments to debate. As this is going to be my first debate, I might as well debate the worthlessness of debating. I will not discuss this further until I have a challenger.
JacobAnderson

Con

I'm just going to keep this round's statement simple and sweet. By debating, you are negating your whole argument that debating is worthless. People debate in order to prove a point, and your point is that debating is worthless. However, you are debating this, trying to convince people to believe in your ideals, so therefore, you have already negated your argument.
Mr.Lee

Pro

Like I said, this is my first debate. I am debating the uselessness of debating. Here is why I think it is useless. #1 No sane person enjoys losing. #2 Rarely do you persuade the other person on your opinion if it is topics such as religion or politics.

You might think this is a moot point, but it is what I have decided to debate.
JacobAnderson

Con

Although this is your first debate, you should know that concrete evidence is more valuable than an opinion.
This is typically where I rebut your arguments, so that is what I shall do.

"No sane person enjoys losing."
That is not a concrete fact, some people do not mind losing. When it comes to debate, I do not mind losing because I know that I did not truly lose. We base winning and losing on points, but the fact that you spend time researching a controversial topic and spreading your opinion, to me, is winning either way. I know I have been involved in many debates that are curved for the creator, but I try my hardest, and I get recognized for it whether I actually win the debate or another (not involved) person praises my attempts at the challenge.

"Rarely do you persuade the other person..."
Debating is not an attempt to persuade the other person that you are correct, it is a way to express your opinion using facts to try to inform all viewers on the different sides of the debates. Religion is a way of life for some people, so their opponent doesn't try to negate the values of their religion, they try to show another side to a story, maybe another religion in this case.

Debate is not worthless. It can help people express their opinions and can help someone on their fears of speaking in public by allowing them practice through debating [1].

[1] http://idebate.org...
Mr.Lee

Pro

You enjoy losing? Not everyone is competitive I guess. I should have specified what I mean by debating. What I am talking about is more like arguing between two people without an outside party involved. But I will continue.Opinions have little value unless you are famous, then you get paid for endorsements. Debating is pointless in the fact it forces you to be partial. There are several topics that have been debated until people are blue in the face, and their fingers are cramped from typing. Abortion is an example. You might think it is correct, I might think it is morally wrong. But it is not us that decide what happens.
JacobAnderson

Con

Arguing is not debating. Debating is bringing evidence to support your side and acknowledging that there are two sides to every story, to every topic. People who argue believe that their side is the only side, the correct, valid side, but as debaters know, their side may not be the right side although they believe in it. Debating is not for forcing your opinion's on others, but a way to show others the side they may not know, to inform the public about your views.

Debating is not worthless. Obviously you believe it has some worth if you have continued this debate. If you thought it was worthless, you wouldn't have needed to debate the topic, you could have made an "Opinion" or had another way of expressing your opinion.
Posted by JacobAnderson 3 years ago
JacobAnderson
I just realized, you said this is the first debate you're going to do, meaning you're going to do more. But it's worthless?
Posted by js2013 3 years ago
js2013
debates are not worthless it is when u get to prove ur point and beet the other persons point and prove then wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Vote Placed by Yraelz 3 years ago
Yraelz
Mr.LeeJacobAndersonTied
Reasons for voting decision: I think that Con raises two compelling points which are never contended by pro: 1. Education is realized even in the event of a loss. 2. Many people use debating as a means to become better at public speaking. Pro, I think for you to win a debate like this you need to be much more specific. For instance you mention abortion, perhaps your resolution should be, "debating abortion is pointless". As it stands your resolution is so broad that it opens you up to thousands of counter arguments.
Vote Placed by dtaylor971 3 years ago
dtaylor971
Mr.LeeJacobAndersonTied
Reasons for voting decision: JA wins all the way.
Vote Placed by Ore_Ele 3 years ago
Ore_Ele
Mr.LeeJacobAndersonTied
Reasons for voting decision: First, let me say welcome to Pro to DDO. Please view everything that follows as constructive criticism. The debate suffered from a lack of definition in the opening round. It would be wise to define what you mean by "debate" as it helps to give the debate structure and allow everyone to stay focused and on topic. While Pro did present their opinion, they never offered any supporting evidence to back up their claim. Con countered it, and since Pro made an absolute claim ("no sane person enjoys losing") but did not back it up or defend it at all.
Vote Placed by TN05 3 years ago
TN05
Mr.LeeJacobAndersonTied
Reasons for voting decision: Both sides were fairly even in conduct and S&G, so no points are awarded to either side. Con did use a source, but a website promoting debating isn't the most reliable source in a debate about if debates are worth it or not. It is a good reference point for his view, but no more than an article from the SEIU promoting union membership would be in debate about unions. Con earns the convincing arguments category - he gave several reasons for the usefulness of debating and refuted all of Pro's points, while Pro didn't really do much to rebut Con. Not really a tough decision - a solid win for Con on an interesting topic.
Vote Placed by Mikal 3 years ago
Mikal
Mr.LeeJacobAndersonTied
Reasons for voting decision: I think this is a swift and easy win for Con. Pros entire argument hinged on the fact that "debating is pointless". He stuck to his remark but did nothing to really support his view. He only offered small and minute points such as no one likes to lose, or you can not convince people to change their opinion. This is where Con wins the debate. He shows that debating is far more than winning and losing or getting people to change their mindset about a topic. He goes on to make a point that debating is about showing all sides of a topic from many different perspectives and also about increasing your own knowledge about a topic. Since the resolution is "debating is worthless", Con has successfully refuted all of pros points and built a case as to why debating can be useful. Therefore the resolution is negated and Con wins. S&G, sources and conduct are all even. Both had spelling errors, neither had valid sources, and no conduct was brought to question.