Abdab
Ozzyhead

Is disciplining a child abuse?

Ozzyhead

Abdab

Con

Disciplining (i.e spanking, yelling, time out etc) your child is not abuse. Before you accept, realise I don't mean beating your child or verbally/physically abusing them. First round is for acceptance.
Ozzyhead

Pro

Abuse is more than physical damage, it's psychologically damaging. A spanking and yelling can be psychologically damaging, and it can ruin a relationship between a parent and child. A child should respect an authority figure, but that doesn't mean a child should fear them. A child should not be spanked or yelled at because it doesn't provide a proper learning experience, and if you do not tell the child why they did wrong, and instead just punish them, you leave them confused. Confusing a child can be psychologically damaging, and can set them up to fail again, because you did not properly address the situation. Properly addressing the situation is a more proper way to discipline a child. Hitting them, and yelling will cause psychological damage, and will negatively affect the relationship between a parent and child
Abdab

Con

Spanking a child or yelling at them can show them that what they are doing is wrong. I was spanked and yelled at as a child and I fully respect my father, and love him more than anything. It taught me that if I did something wrong it would not be tolerated.
I don't think I explained my initial point very well. I don't mean if you see your child do something bad then full on smack them. I mean sit them down, ask them if they did it, ask them why and then if they did do it and they were doing it just for attention or just to wind you up then spank them. If they didn't know it was bad then warn them and tell them why it was a bad thing. My point is not whether you should or shouldn't spank your child, my point is whether spanking and yelling should be classified as 'abuse'
Ozzyhead

Pro

Spanking a child does not demonstrate that what was done is wrong. One should not believe that they should not do something because they will be spanked if they do. They should be told that something is right or wrong and why it is so. Spanking provides no grounds for learning. A child only fears to do what they did wrong. A child shouldn't fear. Instead they should learn. It is not fair to punish someone before they learn why what they did is wrong.
Abdab

Con

"One should not believe that they should not do something becuse they will be spanked if they do." I disagree with this. I think that if a child is spanked for doing something wrong such as stealing or lying, they will be taught that bad actions come with consequences and punishments. If a child is simply told that it is wrong they will learn that it is okay to do this because there is no real punishment. They will grow up to be criminals who do not realise that certain actions can not be tolerated. Children these days are over-nurtured and turn into teenagers who are disrespectful to their elders and are demanding.
Ozzyhead

Pro

If the child understands the consequences of their actions are harmful and lead to someone being harmed or disappointed. If a child is going to spanked, they did not learn a life long lesson. No one spanks you for lying when you're 25. Why not? Because the harm is done. A child will not grow up thinking "if I lie, then I will be spanked by my significant other or bosss". Teaching a child what respect is and how lying is not respectful is a lesson that will go a lot further than spanking. According to psychological studies, punishments such as spankings actually lead to aggressive behavior in children (http://www.psychologytoday.com...). Spanking is ineffective long term (IBID). The spanking would only work immediately after the undesirable action to be effective, but spankings hardly ever occur then. Fearing a parent is not the same as respecting them. Spanking creates a mental barrier between the parent and the child. Spanking also increases criminal behavior in children who grow up.
Spanking is also mainly for the parent. Generally, a parent will spank out of anger at more than just the child, but will take it all out on the child.
Abdab

Con

Abdab forfeited this round.
Ozzyhead

Pro

With this forfeit in mind, I would like to say that George Carlin was the greatest comedian to ever take the stage
Abdab

Con

Abdab forfeited this round.
Ozzyhead

Pro

Forfeiting two rounds is child abuse :(
Vote Placed by numberwang 2 years ago
numberwang
AbdabOzzyheadTied
Reasons for voting decision: FF by con , con also got slightly off topic by discussing whether or not spanking was abuse rather than discipline in general which would have been easier for con to defend. Pro rebutted well on the physical discipline and the psychological point went largely unchallenged.