NKJVPrewrather
Leaning

Is drug addiction a choice?

Updated: 1 month ago Status: Post Voting Period

NKJVPrewrather

Con

I say no, pro can make the first move.
Leaning

Pro

I'll say yes.

Just because it is difficult to quit something does not mean it's not a choice.

It's just a more difficult choice.
NKJVPrewrather

Con

Neuropsychitrists have stated that addiction to drugs is not a choice, and I did not choose to be addicted to tobacco. I admit that I need help from Jesus and my coubcelor to quit using. If you knew how bad this was for me, you would understand.
Leaning

Pro

I would agree that I have difficulty understanding as completely as I might if I had used tobacco, but since I don't intend on starting I will have to base my understanding on less involved participation.
If we were simpler animals such as mice then perhaps we would have no choice over addiction as I don't really see a mice being able to consider its position, option, or dream of a better life as a human might.
I acknowledge that addiction can have heavy mental and physical barriers to struggle against, but humans by being able to imagine a different future can then overcome limitations they possess, to a certain degree.
I agree that it is difficult, but this is why people have the use of SUPPORT items such as nicotine gum, nicotine patches, therapy and support groups. Key word being support though. Individuals still start the process, are able to understand their situation if they choose.

If you have a link for the Neuropsychitrists I would appreciate being able to deepen my understanding.
source
http://www.psychiatrictimes.com...
NKJVPrewrather

Con

I agree and disagree with you. I chose to start using, and that's my bad, but I did not choose to become addicted. I started trying to get help when I was 20, but was denied help. I need help with my addiction. I will get help. Addiction is a neuropsychiatric disease.
Leaning

Pro

But there are other people who have used drugs and become addicted. Some of these people have been able to quit on their own without assistance from other people.

To me this implies that some people have stronger willpower to be able to quit, or a better reason than other people.
If someone had a dog slowly dying of cancer and they didn't want to put it down to end it's suffering, they could not say it would be too difficult and they did not have a choice. It would only mean they did not utilize enough of their will or enough of a reason to make that choice.

We also choose the byproducts of our initial choices. If I had chose not to finish high school I would also have chosen the likelyhood of a lower paying job. Likewise a football player chooses the possibility of long term brain damage through concussion even though they chose to play a sport for money or fun. A person who steals an item may say I chose to steal I didn't choose to go to prison but that is nonsensical.

Just because we have problems in our brain doesn't mean we have no control or choice over them. If a person is depressed because of chemicals in their body, they are still able to make choices that would lessen the effects of that. Go outside and get some sunlight, find hobbies, and ways to cope with the depression.

Saying you have a disease and that you have no choice in the matter is ignoring what you could do... I think.

South Park has an episode about addiction
http://southpark.cc.com...
NKJVPrewrather

Con

You will not change my mind. I am an addict, so I know what I'm talking about. Judge not, when you know not. South Park is not evidence.
Leaning

Pro

If you know what you are talking about you could offer better evidence of it.

If a person chooses not to seek help for their addiction then they are CHOOSING addiction over getting help.

Can't say I'm really trying to change your mind. I enter debates more as a way to force myself to consider both sides of an issue more deeply.

I apologize if it seemed like I was judging you at any point.

I would like to thank my opponent for this debate and say that it made me think about the issue deeper than I usually do.

I ask that any votes leave the sources vote as a tie as none of mine really apply to my argument. They are more like extra toppings on a pizza.
Posted by KZC 1 month ago
KZC
Addiction has biological components and also is based on choice. Let me explain. Addiction from a biological sense means that it is a never-ending loop of developing tolerance. For instance, alcohol masks as the neurotransmitter GABA. As alcohol penetrates the brain and spread throughout the body, the GABA amount decreases. When the alcohol is gone from the body, there is less GABA. This is when withdrawal happens because our body desires GABA so then we drink more alcohol. The more alcohol we drink, the higher the tolerance. As a result, this process is an addiction from a biological sense. However, just because something is biological doesn't mean there isn't a choice. In order for therapy to be effective one MUST be willing to do the therapy and avoid the thing that causes addiction. All in all, addiction has physiological components, but to overcome the addiction one must be willing to make the choice to overcome addiction.
Posted by MRAAJ 1 month ago
MRAAJ
To clarify, I chose weed for stress relief, It only became an issue when I wanted to stop, ie deluded thinking led me to reuse. I agree w/ Unstobbaple re getting help, you can't break the cycle without awareness, counselling and support. I did not smoke it at all at home, just at uni, so perhaps the environment plays a role.

porn:11-18 didn't know I was addict, since 18 I gained awareness. Recovering since then, now 21.

I believe I have an addictive personality, I think in black or white if that makes sense. Ps I do believe porn addiction is real, there are a couple of forums on it, reboot nation for example.

re my dad has had dt 5 times in 3 years, it mayve been from withdrawal or something else, he wasn't quite honest during the episodes.
Posted by Unstobbaple 1 month ago
Unstobbaple
@MAA Alcohol depresses the nervous system and it speeds out of control when you quit 'cold turkey'. delirium tremens can kill you. Where as a relapse > overdose is more common with other drugs quitting is more likely to kill you if you are addicted to alcohol or benzos. hallucinations and a form of seizures are a clue you need medical attention to detox. Heart or lung failure is normally what kills you in this case.
Posted by Unstobbaple 1 month ago
Unstobbaple
Porn addiction isn't a real thing. Addiction starts as a choice but towards the middle addicts have no choice until they find sufficient help.
Posted by Leaning 1 month ago
Leaning
Do you mean you didn't know about addiction when you started? And thus it wasn't a choice because you didn't know you were choosing addiction with tobacco?
Posted by MRAAJ 1 month ago
MRAAJ
alcoholic ^
Posted by MRAAJ 1 month ago
MRAAJ
I too am speaking from qn addicts point of view, my dad's a recovering alcholic, 2 uncles and one grandfather died due to addiction. I myself am a longtime porn addict, didn't know it for 8 years, struggled with weed at uni, but overtime im gaining knowledge on how to better myself. What I meant Squonk, by dysfunctional is that we addicts have so many triggers, delusions and impulses that lead us to relapse. I think you'd agree.
Posted by squonk 1 month ago
squonk
Honestly, I have been a prolific substance abuser over the years...crack, crystal meth, alcohol, benzodiazepines, prescription stimulants and painkillers.

Is addiction a choice? In the past I would have been inclined to say that addiction is a disease. This is what they teach you in rehab. As MRAAJ said, "Addicts can't consume for recreational use, they use it because their brain is dysfunctional."

I think this is wrong, and it's a bad thing to teach people who struggle with substance abuse. Just because a person has used drugs irresponsibly or badly IN THE PAST doesn't prove that their "brain is dysfunctional" and they can NEVER learn to use drugs more responsibly in the future. In the same way, just because someone has gotten themselves into some bad car accidents doesn't prove that their "brain is dysfunctional" and they can NEVER learn to become a better driver.
Posted by MRAAJ 1 month ago
MRAAJ
choice*
Posted by MRAAJ 1 month ago
MRAAJ
Penrose is right about the initial chose, however addicts initially feel its worth it. Additionally, if your are born in a high drug rate area, is it hardly yr fault.