ArkaneKaos
PresidentCake

Is dubstep really music?

Started: 9/22/2015 Category: Music

ArkaneKaos

Pro

Dubstep is music! Why would you say it's not. You All say "IT'S MADE WITH A COMPUTER". An electric piano is a computer but music is made with that. The definition of music is a beautiful melodious sound. My opinion is that this IS melodious. Many people believe that it is. The truth is that this is also made with an instrument. By the end of this debate, you will at least have thought about it. It has a beat, Rhythm, and notes. It may take longer to write other kinds of music, but who cares? Each type of music has it's own characteristics! Same as rap has fast singing and symphonies have none. People say, "It has no words or lyrics." Well guess what NEITHER DO SYMPHONIES!!! Also, They say people don't make dubstep a computer does, but it's not randomly generated, it was made by a person who worked hard on it. Don't exclude that person and say they don't have talent because they clearly have musical talent if the dubstep is any good. This is just a small introduction to my side of this debate, so be ready to debate. I will not give into the nonsense that is the theory of "dubstep not being music."
PresidentCake

Con

What is music to you? Does it have a melody, sound amazing, or does it sound scattered, no set melody? Dubstep is just random ideas thrown into a piece to make a "song." Music should be written out, you should have to sit down at a piano, or other instrument, play notes, and write them down. With dubstep you just sit at a computer and mess with settings and sounds on a program to create "music." Dubstep breaks so many of the rules in music. It's not in the proper form what so ever. A computer is not an instrument, a computer is a electronic device made for storing and processing data. No where in that definition says that it is an instrument. Yes, you can get programs on the computer to make sounds, but dubstep is just random noises put together that people try to make sound good. It requires no skill. It's generated by a computer, not composed by a human. Real music is made by a composer who takes time into his/her work. If one note is wrong on a piece composed by someone it wouldn't sound right, now would it? If your on a computer program you can just put in a louder sound and no one would hear it. I've seen these programs, it requires no skill at all, you just create sounds, without even knowing what the note is that you put in. And you saying that symphony's don't have words or lyrics, well your completely wrong. Apparently you haven't listened to Beethovens 9th symphony. In his 4th movement of that symphony it contains a chorus. Their is also something called "music theory," and dubstep follows NONE of this. That just shows right now that dubstep can't possibly be music. Also, a person could not work "hard" on dubstep. It is very simple to make. No one needs musical talent to make dubstep, you don't even need to know much about music, because IT'S ALL DONE WITH A PROGRAM! Dubstep is not music and will never be in the minds of MILLIONS of people out there. Music had changed so much over 200 years, and now, people are acting VERY lazy when it comes to writing music. So lazy that they have to get programs and softwares to help them. Ex: (A new and fast way to make music that sounds good with NO MUSIC TALENT AT ALL!) Well, you know what, that just shows so much laziness in people today. Listen to dubstep and compare it to Beethovens 9th, 7th, 5th, 3rd, 8th, etc, and you will find that dubstep doesn't compare what so ever. Classical and most other genres of music out there don't even compare to dubstep. Like I said earlier, it's just random ideas put together, which just create random noises that don't have a purpose. It sounds awful, unorganized. Sounds like someone took 10 minutes on it. Dubstep is not music and NEVER will be!
ArkaneKaos

Pro

It seems to me like you are jealous of the time and skill put into dubstep and you wish you were as skilled as these people who spend weeks on their music. And compare your millions to my billions. 80% of people probably believe dubstep is music. I've only encountered two people who disagree with me. Especially if you understand Ziph's law. You melody theory and music rules don't exist. Every kind of music has it's own rules. For your information, if anything, people are more creative and less lazy nowadays. There are so many MORE types of music. More people spend more time writing music. Dubstep has a chorus, a melody, and most of all, PEOPLE SPEND TIME ON IT. You say you come up with an idea and write it down while you are writing your symphony? You said right here that that isn't what you should do. If it is, then people do write down their ideas for dubstep music. I know because I know people who make dubstep, and I have made about 30 seconds of dubstep before. That thirty seconds took me 3 hours. You also say people spent lots of time on symphonies, like 3 years, but music nowadays is only 3-5 minutes long. All your symphonies and stuff was written a long time ago in parts that all together, were multiple hours long. Also, computers do anything people do and then some. GUESS WHAT! People who make dubstep MAKE THOSE PROGRAMS! You can say they are lazy, but really, you just can't look at the bigger picture. You can't unlock your super subconscious. Complain all you want, but dubstep is music. Plus, the people who make dubstep, generally know plenty of things about music. Just not about symphonies. I know that your definition of 'music' is symphonies and stuff that sound good to you. I realize that symphonies are music even though I think they don't sound as good as some dubstep songs. You also said, Dubstep is just a bunch of ideas put together. How do you think you are writing your symphony right now? How did you write the above paragraph? You have an idea, you type it, and that sparks another idea. It's all very simple psychology. I can know what is going through your head at any moment during this debate. I know that you think you are right about all of these 'rules, but all music has their own rules. Dubstep doesn't have to be playable on a piano. This brings me back to the electric piano. I wasn't saying you use it to make dubstep. I was saying that it is a machine. A computer. Guess what it's used for. Making music. I know you have seen someone play an electric piano before. They made...MUSIC! You say 10 minutes, I say 10-20 days. You say no melody and chorus I say yes melody, yes chorus. There is no difference, other than how the music sounds! Say what you want but dubstep will always be music. Same as rap, rock, heavy metal, classical, pop, hiphop, reggae, techno, and all others. Atheists may say christian songs aren't music, but are they? Yes. I'm not saying you have to like it. I'm saying it's music either way. Say what you wish, but I will still be right.
PresidentCake

Con

You say you will still be right, But right now, I am going to prove you wrong. Dubstep is just a bunch of ideas put into one piece, while a composition IS NOT! With dubstep you just use a computer program to come up with different sounds and put them together. While a composition you get one idea, and without thinking you come up with something else. That's what Mozart did. He didn't come up with multiple ideas and put them together. He came up with a melody and just added on without thinking, so you can't say that that is what you do when you write any piece. And, "melody theory"? I think you mean "music theory." People are getting more lazy when it comes to writing music. All these big song artists right now just care about getting their next song out so people can hear it and they won't lose fame, they may spend a month or two on a song, and rush through it, but think, Beethoven spent years on his concertos, symphonies, sonatas, operas, mass's, and with each of the pieces he took time into them, had actual people play the pieces, not a computer like dubstep. Dubstep is not music, it is made by a computer, not even performed by people. I looked at some sheet music for dubstep, after seeing that, it's obvious why they don't write it's down, BECAUSE IT'S LITERALLY IMPOSSIBLE TO PLAY! The cords can not be played, notes go way to fast for a human to play. Sheet music for dubstep looks like a mess, notes are distorted, too high or too low to play for a normal instrument. Also, you say that many people who make dubstep know a lot about music, thats stupid. Then why would they make dubstep when they could make music that is ACTUALLY PLAYABLE. If they know so much about music, but they don't want to take the time to actually write a good song that follows music rules. Yes, music rules do apply to dubstep if you call it "music." Rules for music DO NOT change, does not matter what type or style the music is, but dubstep is just something someone came up one day when they were bored. It has no purpose in life, you won't get inspired from listening to it, it just makes noises that sound good to some people, but not me, or the billions of other people who agree with me. Yes, I said billions. They would all agree with me that dubstep is not music. I bet in 20 years from now, people will forget all about dubstep and move onto something else. If the future of music is going to be on computers, then music is ruined forever. I'd rather hear a live performance than listen to some dubstep made on computer. It's not the same experience, and never will be. No matter how much technology you make, it will never compare to a live performance, and thats a fact. Dubstep will and never be music, it DOES NOT HAVE A MELODY! A melody should not me in the chorus alone, it should be played by the instruments as well, dubstep does not. So, if you attempted to play dubstep on a piano or something with no chorus, you wouldn't even hear the melody, it would just be a few notes going back and fourth, while if you played classical music on a piano you would hear the melody, hear the chords being played, and feel the music. When I listen to music I feel it, I feel like I become part of the music, but with dubstep, I don't feel that, I doubt anyone does. Dubstep is just electronic sounds that sound good, it's not music. My definition of music is not just symphonies and stuff that sounds good to me. You don't know my definition because I NEVER TOLD YOU IT! My definition of music is the following. Music is a sound that comes from instruments (not computers) and creates a beautiful sound, with that sound you should be able to feel the music, be part of it, picture thoughts when you listen to it. Music has color, texture, picture. You should be able to put a picture to music, picture something in your mine, feel the melody. That is my definition of music. The dictionary definition of music is the following. Vocal or instrumental sounds combined in such a way as to produce beauty of form, harmony, and expression of emotion. Dubstep does not fit this definition. Their is no "beauty of form" in dubstep. You don't feel dubstep when you listen to it, it just makes noises, no expression of emotion what so ever.

Listen to the first 10 minutes of this.

https://m.youtube.com...

Then the first 10 minutes of this.

https://m.youtube.com...

Compare the two you just listened to. You will see the difference in quality, color, and emotion. Music should not be made on a computer. It's not right. It never will be. It's not how it should be. Music should be written on paper. If somehow all the files got lost of a dubstep piece, you wouldn't have any record of how it sounded after awhile. If it's written down on sheet music, it will never be lost, it will always be in the world somewhere. That is why dubstep is not music. It's just electric sounds combined. That's not music. It's simply "electrical noises", thats all it is.
ArkaneKaos

Pro

Round #3 will be dedicated to the commenters, who both have supported the pro side of this debate. Vaarka says, "In my opinion, dubstep can be considered music. I enjoy listening to it, as well as other kinds of music like epic orchestra, classic rock, etc.

First off, dubstep isn't really its own thing. Electronic music is usually the known term that dubstep fits under, sharing the genre with others like electro, DnB, trap, etc. You would need to listen to more music under the electronic genre to notice that they do have differences between them.

Now to start it off, most people who claim that dubstep isn't music has barely breached the electronic music world. Most people will compare dubstep to the one or two skrillex songs they've heard in the background of a call of duty montage. If you look deeper, you will find a lot more music under this genre, and it's all different. Yes, some artists tend to stick to a certain rhythm and sound in their songs, but that's not uncommon in the music world. However, there are artists who make more diversity in their songs.

As for it being easy to make, that doesn't make the artist lazy. Certain people like certain music and, if they feel encouraged to make electronic music, they do have to put some effort into it. Yes, they may choose sounds that already exist, but taking these sounds, putting them together in a way that sounds good and goes with the rhythm, and is enjoyable to listen to, isn't that easy. It still takes a good ear to make it sound good, and sometimes artists don't have the best ears for music. This is also common throughout the music world. So while making the song may have an easier start than other genres of music, it's still no easy task to make good music." I read this over last night and saw that he made an important point that I missed. Dubstep is part of the electronic music type. This includes trap, techno, DnB, electro, etc. as listed above. The electronic music type IS indeed considered music. That is why it is a genre on online radios and it is talked about by people as a music type. This section has all of the computerized music categorized into it. These all have their own rules, as I have said multiple times and you seem to refuse to accept. I listen to the second link you sent as I write this. It is good, BUT... only half of it is dubstep. There is drum step, techno, and hard dance. I will now move on to the psychology part of this round, as it seems i have to mention it every round. An idea DOES NOT have to be thought about. Why do you think people commit suicide? Or kill someone? They want to solve their problem, but they don't think about the idea they had to solve it. Thus being, Mozart did have multiple ideas if what you say is true. Now your melody theory that I was talking about was indeed about melody. You say that dubstep has no melody. But it does. Theoretically speaking, even if it didn't, that wouldn't make it not be music. As I have said multiple times every song has it's own rules. Also, poems are melodical sometimes, but they aren't music. This means that you can't reverse this and say anything without melody isn't music. You have said you looked at sheet MUSIC for dubstep. Thank you for supporting my side of the debate and proving me right in that sentence. I will still carry on, but I accept the fact that you even support my claims within you're counter. As I have said multiple times, all music has it's own rules SO IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE PLAYABLE. Wrap your head around the fact of difference in music. It's the same as racism in America used to be. The south believed that blacks weren't people. They are. They just look different. Dubstep inspires me. Any music that sounds good inspires me. But it took hundreds of years for symphonies to go away. this means that it will take hundreds of years for this ages music to go away. I don't know this for sure, but the next music to go away will be the oldest of this age. This means rock will probably be the next type of music to fade away. If anything, computerized music will be last to go away. We are going into the age of computers. Dubstep has it's own beauty. It has expression of the person's feelings who was writing it. This can happen because it doesn't take 4 years to write. If it took 4 years then it couldn't represent someones overall feelings of the month or two that it takes to write it. I cannot support this enough to make you believe dubstep is music, but I'm sure I will convince others, and there is already 70% of people who understand what music is. I can tell you, dubstep IS music. The computer is the instrument, there are words in some dubstep, and these are the things you say makes dubstep not music. I know I am narrowing down your possibilities of reasons why dubstep isn't music. Even though you say things over and over again that I have already told you is wrong, you act like a child and repeat it over and over again. DUBSTEP IS MUSIC.
PresidentCake

Con

Now, it's my turn. Let me start with what you said about what Vaarka said in the comments. He said "In my opinion, dubstep can be considered music." Now I would have to ask Vaarka about that statement to confirm what it means, but he said "CAN" be considered music. Vaarka never said it is, what I am getting from that is it is meant to show that it's just "music" some people like. The other comment was from someone who was in a rock band, now many rock bands use electric sounds, because it's "supposed to sound cool." Music is not about sounding "cool." It's about sounding good. Those words both have completely different meaning. Music is supposed to be more that just sounding good to people. Music is supposed to have emotion, color. And by color I mean different sounds from different instruments like a flute, violin, viola, trumpet, contrabass. Dubstep just has electronic sounds that have NO meaning. Emotion means that your supposed to feel the music, become "part of it". That's more than sounding good, dubstep does not offer that and never will. It's just electronic sounds. And you saying that it took hundreds of years to go away, well, that statement is FAR from true. If you listen in TV shows, movies, you can hear parts or even full movements from symphonies. In the movie "Knowing" that was made a few years back uses Beethoven's full second movement of his 7th symphony. Here's the link to it. https://m.youtube.com...
So, you can't say that symphonies have faded away. People are even still composing them today, and not just me! Hundreds of other people are. Dubstep will be gone within 15-20 years. Now, if a composer like, Mozart, Haydn, Beethoven, Mahler, or Debussy listened to dubstep they would literally be horrified at what they would hear. Not just because it sounds simple, but because it sounds electronic, and not performed by ACTUAL people, but by a computer! You saying a computer is an instrument is a false statement. The dictionary definition of a computer is a electronic device used for storing data. No where in that definition does it say it is an instrument. You can not substitute an instrument for a computer. You just can't. Then you said that I supported your side by saying I looked at sheet music for dubstep, well, obviously you skimmed through and did not read the next sentence, I said that it was IMPOSSIBLE FOR A HUMAN TO PLAY on a keyboard! A human can not play that fast or reach that many cords, it's LITERALLY impossible. Only a computer could play, which makes it not music. Music should be able to be played on a REAL instrument. If it's not, then it's not music. So, dubstep could not possibly be music. You saying that "I know I am narrowing down your possibilities of reason why dubstep isn't music" is 100 percent false. Your actually increasing my possibilities. How, well you leave comments that are lies, and not true. You need to actually research these things before you put them down, like by saying that symphonies have left. I research before I put things down into here. I'm going to keep shooting down your statements! Also, you saying "70% of people who understand what music is." That is also another false statement. How? Well...Music means things to many different people, but one thing music has in common with everything is beauty. Imagine your listening to a slower composition. You hear the whole orchestra play a few beautiful measures. Then out of know where, high above all others, an oboe. Slowly taken over by a clarinet. The orchestra softens... Or would you rather listen to electric sounds put together to form so called "music." What would you rather hear? What is better? What has more color? Well, the composition has more color than a dubstep piece. Just picture that illustration. You saying the statement "Even though you say things over and over again that I have already told you is wrong, you act like a child and repeat it over and over again." I repeat it so I can make more statements to go along with it. I add more, add more evidence. Saying "all music has it's own rules" Well, dubstep DOESEN'T USE ANY RULES AT ALL. It breaks them, twists them to a point where it nearly ruins it. Music without rules just creates a large mess. Think about this illustration. What if you were in a class and the teacher said that their are no more rules in school anymore. Well, what would happen? Well, the class would fall apart. People would be talking, not learning anything, doing things their not supposed to be doing. So, dubstep. It uses no rules. So it's just a very big mess. Their is no structure, or build up. Just noises. Melody's are constantly changing. It's very deformed. Dubstep has many flaws. That is what will end dubstep one day. Then, you said. "It has expression of the persons feelings who was writing it." Beethoven put his emotions into music. Very well he did. When he was in a different mood, his music changed with him. DUBSTEP IS JUST NOISES, NOT MUSIC!
ArkaneKaos

Pro

I don't care if it's not possible for a human to play. A human made it. I READ THE WHOLE THING. I SAID DUBSTEP SHEET ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------->MUSIC<-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- YOU SAID RIGHT THERE IT IS MUSIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am not kidding. You saying I am increasing your possibilities isn't true. I know this because for those of you viewing this, you will notice, he makes the same points in EVERY argument. I am busy right now, so this round doesn't have much to it, but the next one will hit the character limit. Thank you, and I can't wait to see the voting.
PresidentCake

Con

First off. I am not making the same points every argument. Somethings I say, you may shoot them down, but I bring them back up with more evidence to support them. Your last argument, didn't help your side what so ever. You just mentioned some stuff you said in your last post. You should of at least added something supporting your side. That will just hurt your side. So your saying that I am saying the same stuff in each argument? And you said that it said dubstep sheet music. Well you should've read the next few sentences. That shows even more of what I meant.

Now, I say dubstep is NOT music. Why? Well, music has a melody that carries on to other melodies. Dubstep is just noises that are put together. They don't form a melody. It forms a bunch of sounds that are at different pitches. It just goes high to low noises. No ACTUAL melody. Music without a true melody is just sounds put together. So, you couldn't call it music, now could you? Dubstep is not music, it is it's own thing, and that thing is NOT music! Another point that I would like to make is the following. Dubstep lacks so much that music should have. Music should have a BEAUTIFUL sound. A good sound structure. Dubstep, does not have a beautiful sound. A beautiful sound is not a bunch of electronic noises. A beautiful sound is REAL instruments that can actually play parts. Let me tell you this. Listening to something performed live sounds completely different from hearing something on a computer program. I mean. Seriously. Think about that. Dubstep sounds like complete crap compared to music. Sitting hunched over a computer making dubstep is not making music. You just are sitting down with a pair of headphones listening to different sounds and listening to what would go together. When you compose music, you have a real instrument. Paper, pencil, you actually think about what you want a sound to be. Where do you want crescendos to be. When you compose music, you get exactly what you want. When you make dubstep you just assume the sounds go good together. They could be off by a few beats, pitches. You can not tell. BECAUSE YOU DON'T HAVE SHEET MUSIC! Now, read that carefully! " DON'T HAVE SHEET MUSIC" The key word is "don't." So don't go twisting my words and putting them in your own so you get what you want, like you have done with the last two arguments. Where did you? Well, you put one in the last one you did where you said "I said dubstep sheet music. You said right there it is." Like I said earlier in this. You should've read the next couple of sentences. People who actually study music, like people in an orchestra would say dubstep is NOT music. One last point I have to make would be the following. Even though you say 70% of people say dubstep is music, that is not true. You need to actually ask professionals. People that take time and study music. People that know their stuff about music. They would say some of the same things I have to say about dubstep. I don't know how much I can stress this enough. Music is something that should be valued, not treated like it doesn't really matter. Dubstep is not music.
ArkaneKaos

Pro

I was very busy the last few days, but I would like to make a few points before my time runs out. Like I have said multiple times dubstep has melody. YOU LOOK UP SHEET MUSIC WHICH HAS MUSIC IN IT. Many people think dubstep is beautiful, even more so than classical music. You said yourself that you looked up sheet music and found some, so therefore it is and has music and melody.I didn't ask professionals, I asked the general public. The debate.org general public. I took part in a poll that said 78% said it is and 22% said it wasn't. The general opinion of people is that it is music.
PresidentCake

Con

Okay. So you just repeated what you had in your last post. I guess you ran out of things to say. Now. I did look up sheet music for dubstep. I would not call it music at all. It should be able to be played by a real person. Many people do NOT think dubstep is beautiful. I asked two people yesterday that listened to dubstep. They said "It sounds cool to listen to." Thats why anyone listens to it because it's supposed to be "cool" and new. New doesn't always mean better. Not in this case it doesn't. Dubstep "sheet music" does Not have a melody in it. I looked at it. It is litterally just jumping to different notes. Some of the "notes" on there aren't even properly set. Their going in swirls all over the paper. Creating a horrific monstrosity. It sounds horrid to the ears. Maybe not everyones, why? Because THATS ALL THEY LISTEN TO is Dubstep! Listen to real music for once. I don't just listen to classical myself either. Even people today are still composing compositions in the style that Beethoven, Mozart and Mahler wrote them. Music from that time period is still being made today. Some music that was popular 20 years ago, arent even heard of today. Also, I see that you did run out of things to say as if you give up? You just repeated what you said in the last post and didn't really hit the character limit like you said you were going to... Anyway. Dubstep is not music. It lacks melody, structure, and emotion. So, dubstep CAN NOT be music! It never has been music, and it never will be called "music".
Posted by Vaarka 1 year ago
Vaarka
Jinx, can I possibly debate you over this? I've been looking around a little in hopes of finding someone to debate this topic with.
Posted by jinx693 1 year ago
jinx693
in my opinion dubstep is not music because it is made with a computer which is a machine i useto be a fan of dubstep then one morning i woke up and decided to listen to some , when i was listening to it i thought this sound awful wheres the feeling then i listened to metal, rock and others then i realized these songs are beautiful I've been listening to the wrong stuff now I've never looked back to listen to dubstep now my life is better without it
Posted by Vaarka 1 year ago
Vaarka
I forgot to finish this so...
cont.
Reminder that this is all MY opinion. What you decide or argue shouldn't be based off what I type.
Someone mentioned lyrics. I think it was pro. He said that just because there aren't lyrics, it doesn't mean it's not music. In my opinion, lyrics are there to go with a catchy background sound, making it enjoyable for the audience. There are even several electronic songs that have lyrics in them. While a song may not have lyrics, it still has a catchy tune that listeners can enjoy.

I had more to say but two days have passed and it's slipped my mind.

Happy debating
Posted by Peter_G 1 year ago
Peter_G
I am in a rock band and I think dubstep is music. We decided to include a dubstep solo in one of our songs and it sounded great. Dubstep is just a heavily distorted bass. And a bass is definitely music.
Posted by Vaarka 1 year ago
Vaarka
Wow. I am actually kind of surprised by the bias shown by both sides. One is completely for dubstep being music, and one is completely against. It almost seems like they're fed up with it.

I'm gonna give my opinion on it since there's already a pro and con.

In my opinion, dubstep can be considered music. I enjoy listening to it, as well as other kinds of music like epic orchestra, classic rock, etc.

As for it being easy to make, that doesn't make the artist lazy. Certain people like certain music and, if they feel encouraged to make electronic music, they do have to put some effort into it. Yes, they may choose sounds that already exist, but taking these sounds, putting them together in a way that sounds good and goes with the rhythm, and is enjoyable to listen to, isn't that easy. It still takes a good ear to make it sound good, and sometimes artists don't have the best ears for music. This is also common throughout the music world. So while making the song may have an easier start than other genres of music, it's still no easy task to make good music.

Due to me having more to type and no more characters, I'm gonna continue this in another comm