mightbenihilism
PaoPao

Is elf-worship a viable religion?

mightbenihilism

mightbenihilism

Pro

Here is my idea: a new religion, devoted to the worship of elves.

I think people can more easily connect to the divine through the form of elves. A lot of people have issues with their Fathers, so "Father-God" is problematic. Many people have issues with their Mothers, too, so the Virgin Mary and Guan-Yin would not be acceptable to them. People may have been bitten by the neighborhood bully dog, so the dog-faced god Anubis would scare them. But no one has a problem with elves! Elves, because they dont ever impact our life in a negative way, are neutral territory, and can be worshiped and loved by one and all.

Here are their good qualities:

1. Can stand on your shoulder like a lorakeet
2. Make toys for Elvis, their king
3. Bake cookies
4. Pilot UFOs
5. Fight the Illuminati

I think this religion will catch on and do a lot of good for the world. A kickstarter campaign, a word-press site, and a youtube channel is all that is needed to get it going.

If you disagree, fight me in public! What are you, a chicken? This isn't aromatherapy class, Joe. This is debate dot org. If you didn't come for war, what'd you come for? You chicken.
PaoPao

Con

Good Idea Mr.Mighty, but i can see some problems in your idea, maybe if you change a little, you can have the elf as your own god. Haha..

In this Round, i will give a Main Arguments to start with.
1. The Beginning why religion exist
* Fear Create a religion
Like what you are saying, the religion comes from the "Fear". Fear of God, fear of Death, Fear to solving life problems.
The source of the religion comes from something they assume and become what they are fear of. Like in the Theism, People fear to God, fear that God will send human to Hell etc.. In Non-theism, like buddhism, they are fear to karma (what goes around comes back around). In a philosophical road like Zen or Tao, they fear in morality would endanger themselves into problems. In today democracy system also like a kind of religion. They create fear from Law that have been exist from King Hammurabi a long time ago.
* Why religion needs fear?
The reason is because fear let the religion exists longer. Without fear, the desire to stay in this religion is no longer exist.
* With today era religion, it already can simply satisfied them into their life goal. No need for a new religion.
Maybe your ideas can become just a philosophical road but not a religion.
* Different of Religion and Philosophical road?
Religion exist in some of spiritual problems. Philosophical road exist in some idea to problem solve earthly problems.
mightbenihilism

Pro

Ah. . . I did not anticipate this argument. But here it is, standing in front of me, clear as a Payday.

If we worship elves, what fear have we to keep us in line? What chain is laid upon the dog of our soul? What cudgel lies in wait to smack should we stumble into forbidden pastures?

Ok, Con, I will revise my idea, slightly: the elves, let's say, have a requirement that each year one person of the village be sacrificed to them. That is, they get to eat one person of the townsfolk, and they decide who. And because being wicked makes you more tasty to vicious elves, the elves always pick the most wickedest person.

Thus, we all have an incentive not to be wicked --- or, to quote Bart Simpson --- "I cannot sleep, for a clown will then eat me."

Actually, why stop at one? Let's put this amp on 11! Each month, the elves will devour FOUR townspeople. The wickedest of them all. Therefore, all shall tremble and fear, not knowing who will be eaten first. And any who neglect their elf-worshipping duties will be automatically deemed by the elf-overlords as "potentially delicious and deserving of being made food of".

How does that grab you, Con? Elf-worship will be the religion of fear, par excellence! It will be a religion where every adherent never has a moment's rest, always contemplating the possibility of their certain, irrevocable doom. Yes, each year, four souls are taken and fed to the elf-beasts, much as a plate of cold french fries is taken, warmed in the microwave, and fed to a grumble* of snarling pug-dogs.

*a "grumble" is a herd of pugs, just as a "gaggle" is a herd of Tennis Players

Clearly, if my religion of humble-elf admiration can become so sinister so quickly, it will keep all and everybody in line. And I, as the intermediator between the vicious elf-cretins and the poor humans will live as a God in the world! A God!
PaoPao

Con

I cannot stop laughing when i saw your big Idea, Hahahaha... After i checking the revised idea, i got a big project and some problem that might be occur. Okay, Let's build a religion with those criteria you've listed above.

First of all, You state that :
1. First Idea
"no one has a problem with elves! Elves, because they don't ever impact our life in a negative way, are neutral territory, and can be worshiped and loved by one and all."
Here are their good qualities:
2. Make toys for Elvis, their king
3. Bake cookies
4. Pilot UFOs
5. Fight the Illuminati
"I think this religion will catch on and do a lot of good for the world. A kick starter campaign, a word-press site, and a Youtube channel is all that is needed to get it going"

2. Fear as the essence of Religion
"the elves, let's say, have a requirement that each year one person of the village be sacrificed to them. That is, they get to eat one person of the townsfolk, and they decide who. And because being wicked makes you more tasty to vicious elves, the elves always pick the most wickedest person."

"Actually, why stop at one? Let's put this amp on 11! Each month, the elves will devour FOUR townspeople. The wickedest of them all. Therefore, all shall tremble and fear, not knowing who will be eaten first. And any who neglect their elf-worshipping duties will be automatically deemed by the elf-overlords as "potentially delicious and deserving of being made food of".

"Elf-worship will be the religion of fear, par excellence! It will be a religion where every adherent never has a moment's rest, always contemplating the possibility of their certain, irrevocable doom. Yes, each year, four souls are taken and fed to the elf-beasts, much as a plate of cold french fries is taken, warmed in the microwave, and fed to a grumble* of snarling pug-dogs."

mightbenihilism

Pro

This means I win, right?

Dang, it is Christmas early this year!
PaoPao

Con

Sorry,, my post is in error, i post it from the past 30 minutes, but the rest of my arguments are gone.

I just want to state that your case have a lot of disadvantages. But it really need some changes to do so.

1. Comparison of the give and Take
If we comparing the Benefit and the thing you need to sacrifice, it would be unbalance and doesn't attract people to go in your religion but left your religion.

2. Need a better benefit.
Benefit that would be need to state is the people needs nowadays, like a prosperity, good family, no more walfare, no war, etc.

3. Need a good Advertisement
Advertisement is needed to grow your religion, if not, it means it will be no viable. In the past, people let the others know religion by telling the story or by experiencing the practice of the religion. But now, in this era you can do some bigger and easy, like Social media for example

4. regeneration of the religion
You need to create a truth that your people need to do, like a law, for example : God is just one, or many. Killing is prohibited. etc.

And there's many more...
the lack of those thing can't prove that the religion you want to make is viable.
Posted by mightbenihilism 2 years ago
mightbenihilism
Just wait until I debate making Seinfeld into a religion.
Posted by VelCrow 2 years ago
VelCrow
@mightbenihilism

you really enjoy these alternative worship topics dont you? XD
Posted by PaoPao 2 years ago
PaoPao
Oh,, it's a good ideas, thanks mr. mightbenihilism, i will try in the next debate, Hehehe...
Posted by mightbenihilism 2 years ago
mightbenihilism
Debate.org is kind of buggy, so I try and type stuff in a .txt file, then post it. That way it doesn't erase it.
Posted by mightbenihilism 2 years ago
mightbenihilism
Go ahead and post it in comments after you concede that I won the debate. :)
Posted by PaoPao 2 years ago
PaoPao
It's an error, my arguments doesn't show up....
Posted by mightbenihilism 2 years ago
mightbenihilism
That guy has probably the highest score on the Mario ever.
Posted by Mister_Man 2 years ago
Mister_Man
A guy isn't being allowed to wear his religious hat for his driver's license in a city close to mine...
http://www.ctvnews.ca...

Yes, it's the FSM... But I guess freedom of religion doesn't exist anymore.
Vote Placed by 9spaceking 2 years ago
9spaceking
mightbenihilismPaoPaoTied
Reasons for voting decision: con barely manages to rebut pro.