Educationiskey
Phenenas

Is everyone who calls themselves an Atheist searching for religion?

Phenenas

Educationiskey

Pro

Okay heres my case:

1- Why cant Atheist just be nothing? Why do they have to believe in a something that believes in nothing?
2- I understand this is confusing but, generally when you stand for something you try to convince others to gain their support. So do Atheist call others to Atheism?

My opinion is that any one who calls themselves an Atheist cant stand the though of existing for no reason, therefore must share his opinion to hear from others and hope for either of the following:
Someone to reassure their belief in nothing or find someone who can properly answer their answers.

This is an observation. What's your opinion?
Phenenas

Con

I accept your debate! First of all, let's define atheism.

atheism (noun) - a lack of belief in the existence of God or gods.

One common misconception religious people have about atheists is that they all believe in nothing. Not all of them are nihilists; many claim to be spiritual or open to the idea of a greater power in the universe. Most have moral principles, much in common with those outlined in religious texts.

Plenty of atheists don't feel the need to share their beliefs with the world, though you seem to be overgeneralizing all of them into this category. Not all atheists are depressed or unsatisfied with their view on the world. As an agnostic, I am open to the concept of a higher power but don't take part in any religions. I am not particularly stressed over the idea of life being pointless or wondering what happens after I die. Some people believe find a higher purpose and meaning in life, and some do not.

There is a vocal minority of atheists that hate religion and try to convert religious people at every turn. Most of them are content to let people believe what they want and not try to criticize their holy texts or traditions. Not all nonreligious people are itching for someone to swoop in and take them under the wing of the church, or the synagogue, or the mosque. I am content existing without knowing the reason or being given a set of guidelines to meet. Your argument makes the common error of generalizing a group of people into one temperament. Many atheists, and other nonreligious categories such as agnostics, are interested in hearing about the tales and doctrines of religions, but will not for a second consider believing they are true.

SOURCES:
http://atheists.org...
http://www.pewresearch.org...
Educationiskey

Pro

Educationiskey forfeited this round.
Phenenas

Con

As Pro has posted no counterarguments and I do not see the need to make any further points, I rest my case.
Educationiskey

Pro

Educationiskey forfeited this round.
Phenenas

Con

To be fair, I will not add on to my argument. Good luck, Pro!
Posted by Furyan5 2 years ago
Furyan5
Lol you not here to seek answers. Its obvious you only here to validate your own beliefs. Therefore attempting to expand your knowledge is as pointless as typing this message.
Posted by YaHey 2 years ago
YaHey
1. Why can't atheist just be nothing? Well, I don't know how to not exist outside of killing myself, which I don't really feel like doing atm.
1.1 Why do they have to believe in a something that believes in nothing? What is the something that believes in nothing? Are you saying that atheists believe in an atheism that believes in nothing, or an atheist believes in themselves who believes in nothing? Also, I believe in many things. I believe in the quality of human life, the importance of protecting the environment, and ensuring equality amongst people. I just don't believe in god.
2. Having a cause makes someone want to spread that cause. Having a position means you have a position. Whether or not you offer that position is dependent on the person, not the position.

Your opinion is extremely condescending and insulting. I'm just fine living without a godly given "purpose" and if the god in question is the Christian one I'd rather not get a purpose from him. I give myself purpose, which is to make myself and others as happy as possible. I'm not searching for religion, and I am not actively casting it aside. If someone presents actual, convincing evidence for a god I will believe but until then I treat religion with passive contempt.
Vote Placed by 9spaceking 2 years ago
9spaceking
EducationiskeyPhenenasTied
Reasons for voting decision: ff
Vote Placed by Chaosism 2 years ago
Chaosism
EducationiskeyPhenenasTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit by Pro; Conduct to Con. Spelling/Grammar was even. Pro's initial argument was a couple of questions and an opinionative statement, which is acceptable for an opening round, but fails to provide support in subsequent rounds. Con's counterargument adequately refuted the resolution. Arguments to Con. Con used the only sources.
Vote Placed by Midnight1131 2 years ago
Midnight1131
EducationiskeyPhenenasTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeits by Pro, so conduct to Con. Arguments also goes to con, because pro started out with some opinions, and nothing concrete. Con then cleared up some confusions that Pro may have had about atheism, and continued to make a solid case. Con was also the only one to use sources.