Tthompson1995
harrytruman

Is faith in God rational

Tthompson1995

Pro

I believe that having a belief in God (in my case the christian God) is a rational thing to have. If you disagree with me i would love to debate!
harrytruman

Con

The Jewish G-d is the real deal.
Tthompson1995

Pro

I am nit arguing whether or not the jewish God is the real deal but rather that faith in God is rational. One point i will make towards that is that faith is a necessary thing in all our lives. If you are wanting to propose to someone but are wondering what the next 20 years will be like, you could decide to be agnostic about it and wait for the data to come in. But by that time she will wother be married to someone else or you will both be dead. So faith is in our lives in several circumstances and i dont think that having faith in God is irrational
harrytruman

Con

You defined G-d in round one as "the Christian god," which I will argue is irrational to believe in.
Tthompson1995

Pro

I hope you will argue that because you certainly have not done so yet! But some of the comments have made some points, so i will start with missmedic. You gave the definition of rational to be, "based on or in accordance to logic." So i will appeal to logic to make my next assessment. If i were to go to another planet and on that planet i saw a note that said, "hi taylor, did you bring any spaghetti?" So lets follow logic now. Where we see information, we assume that prior to that there was a mind that put it there. The note didnt just come from the explosion of a printing press. So why not keep that logic when it comes to the intelligence of our universe? Missmedic, i hope you will watch this short message that goes a bit deeper with this subject. https://youtu.be...
harrytruman

Con

Well I accidentally accepted this debate because I thought you were con.
Tthompson1995

Pro

Ok. Well either way you never refuted anything i said or made any points toward your own argument. I would like to use one more example to show why we all do this. If i were to ask an atheist what happens when we die, he would say that nothing happens. Our body just decays and it is the end. I would say there is an eternal heaven or eternal hell awaiting us. But i have never met a dead guy. I have never talked to someone who has been gone for 40 years then rose out of the grave, so i cannot know that for sure. So yes, i am using faith in this claim. But so is the atheist. He has not talked to someone from the other side of the curtain, just like me. So my point is, we all use faith in some way or another. Thank you guys for reading these. If you would like to debate me at all please contact me and i would be thrilled to do so!
Posted by whiteflame 9 months ago
whiteflame
*******************************************************************
>Reported vote: Ockham// Mod action: Removed<

7 points to Pro. Reasons for voting decision: Con accepted a debate without understanding the proposition, while Pro made arguments and used sources.

[*Reason for removal*] As part of the explanation of the outcome, the above can suffice. It is by itself, however, insufficient. The voter still has to assess the arguments given, explain why Pro's arguments affirmed the resolution, and how Pro's sources were relevant. There's also no explanation for conduct or S&G.
************************************************************************
Posted by canis 9 months ago
canis
@Heirio. No...There is evidense or conclusive proof that "Some" "produce" what we call faith in a god..And there is evidence or conclusive proof that "some" "do not produce" what we call faith in a god. "No production of faith", and you will have an atheist. I think a theist who stops producing faith, will not automaticly become an atheist.. Fear will set in..Fear of "anything"..Faith becomes a "mantra"...If humans were not able to feel fear we would probable produce very little faith in LIFE.. And faith in a god would have wanished with knowlegde.
Posted by Tthompson1995 9 months ago
Tthompson1995
Hey. I will try to answer some of these points in my next round for responding
Posted by Love101 9 months ago
Love101
The Big bang theory and adam n eve he made them he made everything
Posted by Heirio 9 months ago
Heirio
"Faith in a god is not faith...It is something else..."

So you imply there is evidence or conclusive proof for your Gods existence?
Posted by missmedic 9 months ago
missmedic
When accepting a statement as true, there are two basic methods. The first is reason. It is when the known evidence points to the statement being true, and when the truth of the statement doesn't contradict other knowledge. The second is faith. It is when one accepts a statement as true without evidence for it, or in the face of evidence against it. Faith pretends that evidence for or against an idea is irrelevant.
How is having faith in the supernatural rational.................. Lets look at the definitions.
Supernatural;
of, relating to, or being above or beyond what is natural; unexplainable by natural law or phenomena; abnormal.
Rational;
based on or in accordance with reason or logic.
reason;
the power of the mind to think, understand, and form judgments by a process of logic.
Logic;
reasoning conducted or assessed according to strict principles of validity.
I have faith that the answer is NO.....................................
Posted by CaptainScarlet 9 months ago
CaptainScarlet
@canis

You are equivocating on the word "faith", by mixing the common usage of the word with its more formal meaning in the context of religion. You have evidence and reasonable grounds (through the process of induction) that the earth rotates every 24 hours, which you interpret as the "sun rising". There is NO faith in that.

Faith instead is belief with no valid evidence, or even worse, a continued belief in spite of evidence to the contrary. This is the category that religions fall into, given their supposed evidences are either terrible or non-existent, or contrary to what we have discovered. We simply have better explanations of the universe now than thousands of years ago.
Posted by canis 9 months ago
canis
Yep. That is why I wrote " something else"
Posted by JoaquinBarzi 9 months ago
JoaquinBarzi
Faith is belief not based on proof. If you had proof, you wouldnt have faith.
What constitutes valid proof is a question for another debate
Posted by canis 9 months ago
canis
Faith is what we have not yet...I have faith that the sun will rise tomorrow.. I have god "reasons" for that faith..Faith in a god is not faith...It is something else...