Mech649
GameriseProductions

Is fashion a waste of money?

Started: 8/4/2015 Category: Fashion

Mech649

Con

Whats the point of fashion? Fashion is a waste of money. Spending large amounts of money on designer clothing is stupid because youre trying to impress and fit in with people who like/dislike you because of your appearance.
GameriseProductions

Pro

I am playing devil's advocate. For those who don't know what it means to play devil's advocate, you basically argue for what you disagree. For instance, I believe that fashion is worth the money. But in this debate, I am going to argue that fashion is NOT (worth the money).

Full Resolution

Fashion is not worth the money.

Con must prove that fashion is worth the money. I, Pro, in contrast, have to prove that no value lies in the state of fashion and therefore is not worth the money.

However, it seems like Con is currently arguing for my side. He/she is significantly new to the website. So, if he/she passes it off as a mere mistake, (chose the wrong side) which would be reasonable as I have seen it before, though it is not very common, then may this debate continue with Mech as Pro and me as Con and may the voters clear their minds of the previous round.

And if that's the case, then my opponent's got these next arguments for rebuttal. But first, to offer some definitions, as my opponent did not...

Definitions

fashion - "a popular way of dressing during a particular time or among a particular group of people"

Argument 1 - Self Esteem and Confidence

"When you look at the mirror and see your beautiful looks, you will feel confident and happy all day. On the contrary, if you wear dirty clothes and look at the mirror, you would feel bad because you are not satisfied with your looks. Consequently, fashion is very important and it can affect your self-confidence and self-esteem."[1]

The quote explains it all. If you suit yourself with the fashion that satisfies you, you will feel more confident out in the public. However, if you stick to cheap and possibly dirty clothing, out in public, you will be in fear of what others think of you and the vulnerability of receiving any nasty comments and/or getting picked on.

Argument 2 - Statistics of Teenagers Bullied Due to Their Clothing

According to a new survey held by CustomInk,

"Teens are teased about their looks: 64 percent have been bullied because of physical appearance, weight, and clothing, more than any other factor"[2]

If you can upgrade your style of clothing to society's current fashion to avoid any sort of bullying, then you should do it. If we forced the mindset that "spending large amounts of money on designer clothing is stupid because youre trying to impress and fit in with people who like/dislike you because of your appearance", as my opponent said, on kids and teens alike, the amount of teens that get bullied due to their clothing would be skyrocketing through the roof.

I eagerly await my opponent's response.

[1] http://mkpengland.blogspot.com...
[2] http://patch.com...
Mech649

Con

Mech649 forfeited this round.
GameriseProductions

Pro

GameriseProductions forfeited this round.
Mech649

Con

Mech649 forfeited this round.
GameriseProductions

Pro

Posted by Longline 1 year ago
Longline
fashion is not necessarily a wast of money. that being said, i agree that to a certain degree it can be a wast of money. example those that just feel like they need new brand clothing when in fact having it will be no different from getting a candy bar at a local grocery store.

We human are social animals, we like to know how the other is doing mentally and physical, and we like to just chill and enjoy life, and part of enjoying life is looking and feeling good about you, or the one you love. fashion has been a big role in this for a long time now.

fashion even has it's own language of social belonging, every human can related to this. what you like tells a lot about who you are, not just that, some people communicate to world of who they are what they are like inside through what they wear.
Posted by hldemi 1 year ago
hldemi
Unfortunately
Posted by Donderpants 1 year ago
Donderpants
Basically yes. But since people are still pretty weak in actual logical brain skills, appealing to a social need is a stupid but necessary thing.
Posted by hldemi 1 year ago
hldemi
What a ridiculous debate.

The material worth of something is determined by the market. If there is a market for fashion then it has value. If it has value for some people then for those people it is not waste of money. Waste of money. Anything is waste of money for some people. You cant change peoples nature. We like styles, good looks, fancy, shiny stuffs. Thats our monkey brain at work. As long as it stays that way we will need fashion and we will spent money on it justifiably because we have such needs. What should be argued is if those needs can be diminished by shifting our consumerist mentality etc etc etc... Because obviously there are more important needs in the world then a rich peoples dressing style..
Posted by gabep 1 year ago
gabep
I wear inexpensive clothing and no one cares.
Posted by Berend 1 year ago
Berend
So you are arguing pro yet posted the debate as con, meaning against the notion money is wasted when used on fashion? I'm confused.