n0b0dysher0
CosmoJarvis

Is fashion hurting the society?

n0b0dysher0 has forfeited round #2.
Started: 1/16/2017 Category: Fashion
Updated: 1 year ago Status: Debating Period

n0b0dysher0

Pro

I think fashion is hurting us. It is thought that around 13% of young people may try to hurt themselves on purpose at some point between the ages of 11 and 16, but the actual figure could be much higher. I think that's because of all the super skinny models, and the media kind of advertises it. Even the models are photoshopped. I think it's hurting society, and that we should stop comparing ourselves to others and just be us. What do you think?
CosmoJarvis

Con

I will argue that the fashion industry is positive in society. My argument will consist of different points.

Point One: The Fashion Industry's Economic Benefits
The Fashion Industry is a large field of manufacturing. According to the Joint Economic Committee's composition on the economic impact of industry, fashion is a more than $1.75 trillion global industry, with nearly $370 billion spent on apparel (S1). Approximately 115.6 million jobs were created (as of 2014) were created as a result of the large industry (S2). The fashion industry is a very fruitful industry which provides jobs with fair and high-paying wages and plays a crucial war in the North American and the global economy.

Point Two: Fashion is a way of Expression
One of the biggest counter-arguments of school uniforms is the freedom of self-expression. Fashion is a way for one to express him or herself, whether it's with a shirt saying "I hate Mondays," or religious garments. Through one's physical appearance we can get an impression of who a person is like. Fashion is a way to provide people such as a date or your employer with a confident and good first impression.

S1) http://www.jec.senate.gov...

S2) https://fashionunited.com...