WilliamsP
jamccartney

Is figurative language good to be used in day to day conversation?

jamccartney

WilliamsP

Pro

I believe figurative language is a great way to express yourself and what you are feeling and/or experiencing or what others are doing and experiencing due to its capacity to amaze and potential to astonish. Figurative language (metaphors, idioms, personification, etc.) is great for books, monologues, as well daily dialogues. Now, I am aware that figurative language does not always make sense, but it is a great way to express what you cannot express in regular language.

This is just my short introductory paragraph. Be prepared to endure a plethora of humongous paragraphs.
jamccartney

Con

Well sure, it is a great way to express yourself, but I think people use it way too much in day to day conversations. I mean, "I can feel it in my heart" just doesn't work. I think people should start using proper grammar and proper use of words. It would make everyone sound much more intelligent and educated. If people were to use proper English, I would respect them more. But when people say things like "It broke my heart" or "By the skin on my teeth", I just shake my head and don't want to have anything to do with the conversation, just because it make no sense.
WilliamsP

Pro

I disagree. Yes, grammar is important. However, highly educated individuals tend to use different language than the average person. I myself am very intelligent, as are you, and I tend to use certain styles of language others don't understand the first time they hear it. But, why not think again? Why not try to understand the metaphors and idioms and respond to them intelligently? I find figurative expressions and symbolism to be important to any language and culture. Now, there is a reason people say they can feel something in their heart. Many early tribes of humans believed that the heart was the source of emotion instead of the brain. Many of them found the brain to be useless. They referred to the heart when talking about feelings. Somehow, these styles transferred into modern language, which I do not find to be an issue. I would like to know from you if there is actually something truly wrong about figurative language? Is there something truly wrong about it that makes it not be worthy of daily speech? It is correct that using a little too much figurative language daily will be annoying and somewhat counterproductive, but figurative language is vital to language arts today. By language arts, I am referring to speeches, literature, music, and daily speech.
jamccartney

Con

Sure, you can use it in speeches, literature, and music, but not daily speech. In daily speech, you should speak in normal English. Day to day talk is not an art form; it is a way to communicate with other people.

And I know where 'heart' came from. What I don't understand is why people still talk about it like that when we have science and we know it is just a muscle that pumps blood through the body. Why can't our species try to advance and become more intelligent? If we used proper English, grammar, and word choice, we would be so much better. I have a hard time responding to metaphors and idioms intelligently, because they are not intelligent. "By the skin of my teeth"? Really? I find it sad sometimes.

There is not something truly wrong with figurative language. I just don't like the idea of using it to much. I do not use it in daily speech because I want to come off as educated and intelligent. I am not saying that people who use it are not educated or intelligent, I'm just saying that they sound like it.

Now, in your response, I would like you to give me a good reason telling me why you think people should use figurative language in daily speech.
WilliamsP

Pro

I see nothing wrong using figurative language in a daily conversation. Ask yourself, do you truly believe that figurative language is bad? Does it have negative effects? In my professional opinion, figurative language is a sign of intelligence and of uniqueness. Figurative language reveals your own individual style and heritage. Figurative language is, in your opinion, a sign of being uneducated. I don't believe that you have said this directly, but I believe you have implied it. If you have not done so, I apologize. But due to what I have read, it is what I interpreted.

Using figurative language in day to day conversation isn't always a good idea due to some people being annoyed by intelligent speech. But, in most cases, I see not issue with figurative language. Please tell me how and why figurative language is not what I said it was and then I will give a intelligent response.
jamccartney

Con

I do not believe figurative language is bad. I believe it is overused. If people are to use it, it needs to make sense. "Oh poor dear. His heart is broken.", does not make sense. If his heart was actually broken, he would be dead. The kind of figurative language that makes sense, would be "you can't throw a brick in a glass house" or "a leopard can't change his spots". They work because they are true. Sure, they may not make sense in the situation, but they refer to something real. Talking about the heart like it can feel and think does not work, no matter how much you try to make it.

I did not say nor imply that figurative language is a sign of being uneducated. What I said was: "I am not saying that people who use it are not educated or intelligent, I'm just saying that they sound like it." That means something completely different than what you said. There is a difference between being uneducated and sounding uneducated.
WilliamsP

Pro

What you wrote is unfounded and inaccurate. I don't think you realize that the sheer nature of figurative language is to NOT make sense the first time you hear it. The reason this argument is so short is that this is all you need to realize to understand all of my points. Figurative language is part of the human way of communication.

I think we should close the debate due to us not finding any common ground. We should forfeit all the next arguments so that the people can vote.
jamccartney

Con

I very much disagree. I think we should not forfeit the next rounds. That, my friend, is called cheating. We shall finish this debate like the men that we are.

Now, to get to my point... I believe that mankind has great potential. But when they do not use proper English, that potential does not show. I wish to see our species advance and become stronger, but I do not believe that can happen if people are lazy and choose not to use correct English. That is not used as an insult, but at truth. Not using proper grammar is, to me, laziness. It may not be that way to you, but it is to me.

I think it is very strange that people purposely try to not make sense when speaking. Why can't people try to make sense? I honestly do not understand the reasoning behind it all.
WilliamsP

Pro

I believe in humanity's potential. But I believe the only way to do so is to be intelligent and to not make sense; to think more deeply about what another person says; to be more complex and more intelligent. Figurative language is not always a question of grammar. Grammatically, they often work fully. It is just how you interpret these sentences that matters. If we can learn to interpret them correctly, perhaps all of humanity will speak in figurative language all day long, every single day.
jamccartney

Con

Well, my mind still is not changed. I still think it is wrong to overuse figurative language. But it is no longer up to me. It is now in the hands of the people. Let's make this up to the voters.
Vote Placed by Josh_b 3 years ago
Josh_b
WilliamsPjamccartneyTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro didn't give a definition of figurative language. Chaos ensues.