Stupidape
tothergnome

Is forcing roman Catholicism on children psychological abuse?

tothergnome has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 1 year ago Status: Debating Period

Stupidape

Pro

I will contend that forcing roman Catholicism on children is psychological abuse.

My opponent will debate that forcing roman Catholicism on children is not psychological abuse.

Burden of proof will be upon me, 51%.

Structure
Round one acceptance and definitions
Round two arguments, don't respond directly to opponent's argument yet.
Round three rebuttals, respond directly to opponent's round two.
Round four defense, respond directly to opponent's round three.

Definitions
Common definitions will be used unless otherwise expressed and agree upon.
tothergnome

Con

Definitions:
The Catholic Church, also known as the Roman Catholic Church, is the largest Christian church, with more than 1.27 billion members worldwide.
Psychological abuse (also referred to as psychological violence, emotional abuse or mental abuse) is a form of abuse, characterized by a person subjecting, or exposing, another person to behavior that may result in psychological trauma, including anxiety, chronic depression, or post-traumatic stress disorder.
Force-make (someone) do something against their will.
Child-a person between birth and full growth; a boy or girl:
Stupidape

Pro

Round two arguments

First, I want to say I agree to my opponent's definitions. Thanks for taking the time and effort to provide those definitions.

Outline
I. Eternal damnation.
II. Misogyny within the Bible
III. Racism within the Bible
IV. Preaching homophobia
V. Thinking irrationally
VI. Sources

The Catholic church teaches eternal damnation and eternal damnation is traumatic to children.

"At the age of seven, she told me, two unpleasant things had happened to her. She was sexually abused by her parish priest in his car. And, around the same time, a little schoolfriend of hers, who had tragically died, went to hell because she was a Protestant. Or so my correspondent had been led to believe by the then official doctrine of her parents’ church. Her view as a mature adult was that, of these two examples of Roman Catholic child abuse, the one physical and the other mental, the second was by far the worst. She wrote

"Being fondled by the priest simply left the impression (from the mind of a 7 year old) as ‘yucky’ while the memory of my friend going to hell was one of cold, immeasurable fear. I never lost sleep because of the priest â€" but I spent many a night being terrified that the people I loved would go to Hell. It gave me nightmares."" [0]

""It is a mortal sin to vote Democrat." The Oct. 16 bulletin went on to explain that "immediately after death, the souls of those who die in a state of mortal sin descend into hell." " [1]

Notice how the Catholic church still promotes eternal damnation and how it interfered with the 2016 presidential election. I can personally attest that the threat of eternal damnation lead to insomnia, I was terrified to go to sleep until I know for sure which was the correct combination of religion and faith. The only answer that is rational is atheism. Children are scared enough to fall asleep as it is.

II. Misogyny within the Bible

"EPHESIANS

5:22-24 Wives must submit to husbands in everything.
COLOSSIANS

3:18 Wives submit to husbands.
3:22 Slaves must obey masters in everything.
I TIMOTHY

2:11-15 Woman must not have authority – she must be silent. Women can be saved with childbearing.
5:9-10 Widows should be faithful to husband and must wash saints’ feet.
1 PETER

2:18 Slaves submit to masters, even masters who are harsh.
3:1 Wives submit.
3:5-6 Sarah calls husband master." [2]

" 1 Peter 3New International Version (NIV)

3 Wives, in the same way submit yourselves to your own husbands" [3]

For any child that is female this could cause psychological damage.

III. Racism within the Bible

"
rned men from the 19th century:
"[Slavery] was established by decree of Almighty God...it is sanctioned in the Bible, in both Testaments, from Genesis to Revelation...it has existed in all ages, has been found among the people of the highest civilization, and in nations of the highest proficiency in the arts." Jefferson Davis, President of the Confederate States of America. 1,2

"There is not one verse in the Bible inhibiting slavery, but many regulating it. It is not then, we conclude, immoral." Rev. Alexander Campbell

"The right of holding slaves is clearly established in the Holy Scriptures, both by precept and example." Rev. R. Furman, D.D., Baptist, of South Carolina

"The hope of civilization itself hangs on the defeat of Negro suffrage." A statement by a prominent 19th-century southern Presbyterian pastor, cited by Rev. Jack Rogers, moderator of the Presbyterian Church (USA).

"The doom of Ham has been branded on the form and features of his African descendants. The hand of fate has united his color and destiny. Man cannot separate what God hath joined." United States Senator James Henry Hammond. 3"
[4]

" “The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully.”

R13; Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion " [5]

Anybody who is of African descent will be in conflict with the racist nature of the Bible, maybe even feel inferior.

IV. Preaching homophobia

By now it should be common knowledge that the Bible has many statements against gays and religious leaders have used the Bible in this way. Gays feel marginalized.

V. Thinking irrationally

Perhaps the worst is to convince children to think irrationally. To be taught to believe that God is good, despite all the evidence to the contrary within the Bible itself. [5]

"Ordered, assisted in, or approved of dozens of complete genocides?

Accepted human sacrifice in the cases of Jephthah's daughter and Saul's seven sons? "
[6]

To believe in an entity that cannot exist due to infinite regressions. That Jonah survived within the belly of a great fish three days and three nights.

VI. Sources
0. https://richarddawkins.net...
1. http://theweek.com...
2. http://www.religiouscriticism.com...
3. https://www.biblegateway.com...
4. http://www.religioustolerance.org...
5. https://www.goodreads.com...
6. http://skepticsannotatedbible.com...
Posted by FollowerofChrist1955 12 months ago
FollowerofChrist1955
You should attend this debate:
Atheism- A lost reality! A hopeless, helpless cause!
Posted by Stupidape 1 year ago
Stupidape
Negative.
Posted by dsjpk5 1 year ago
dsjpk5
Is forcing multiplication homework on children psychological abuse?