Is gaming considered a sport ?

Started: 2/28/2014 Category: Games

I believe that gaming is consider a sport

To began this debate I would like to define the word sport

sport -an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.
"team sports such as baseball and soccer"
synonyms:(competitive) game(s), physical recreation, physical activity, physical exercise, athletics; More
dated entertainment; fun.

Video games have all the characteristics of a sport which involve skills ,strategy ,competition and entertainment.

Some people claim that video games lacks physical exertion this is not true the eyes of the players become strain especially for professional gamers which play games for hours upon hours also many gamers have developed carpel tunnel through the years of gaming this proves that physical exertion is possible through gaming.

Ladies and gentlemen, what is a sport? My opponent already gave us a fine definition from the oxford dictionary [1]:

"An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment"

Albeit sports do not have to be for entertainment as the definition reads the rest still holds. A physical activity. my opponent accepted this definition and thus concedes to this point: That in order to be qualified as a sport, the activity must be physical. It can require skill, luck, precision, strategy, be competitive and involve team aspects, but it has to be physical to be a sport and not a leisure.

So now we have to fully understand that in order to win this debate my opponent must prove that gaming is in fact a physical activity. for he has conceded that this is a requirement for something to be a sport.

I however will demonstrate that this is not the case and that gaming can not be considered physical on the same level as other sports are. By proving that the activity is not physical I have negated the resolution and will not need to debate other aspects of the resolution.

again we turn to the dictionary and look up physical:
1phys·i·cal [adj]: relating to the body of a person instead of the mind[2]

Video games obviously are not physical, they exercise the mind of the one playing; they may increase reaction speeds, general IQ, problem solving skills and the ability to notice details, but they are not physical. Nobody says: "I'm getting fat, I should maybe start playing video games."

when playing the average competitive game the most active muscles are the fingers and the micro muscles in the eyes. under normal circumstances other body parts are at rest with the exception of the central muscle system around the spine and back that are working to keep you balanced in your seat. if we remove all mind related actions from this scenario we simply say that you're sitting. But is sitting a sport? It isn't, it isn't competitive nor does it have rules that define it. How about solving a crossword puzzle or watching TV? still isn't a sport. But it's virtually the same activity as the one we were doing before. The only thing missing is the controller.

You cannot be fit by sitting. You cannot compete in sitting and you won't improve your health, burn off energy faster and it takes no skill, practice nor training to sit properly. you cannot be the best at sitting. But this is the only physical component of playing video games and gaming in general, so why should gaming be a sport? There is no physical stress, you aren't moving and in fact our definition of the word means that my opponent cannot win the debate on any grounds. As straining as sitting for hours on can be it is not considered a sport and hardly as a physical activity. From this perspective gaming is not a sport.

Physical injuries are not signs of physical exertion.
In fact gaming can harm your body in a much faster way than sports can. Sport-related injuries largely differ depending on what sport is being played but often are a result of improper muscle usage or accidents. video games injuries are often, as my opponent pointed out, strain injuries, injuries that happen when the muscles are not used correctly for a long period of time. Some of these injuries include Carpal Tunnel, Migraines, Sleep disorders and muscle strains in the back from prolonged sitting.[3]

What my opponent did not realize is that just because you can be injured physically by something does not mean that you where doing a physical activity. Let's say that I would write this case while hanging upside down from my bed, twisting my spine. Staying like this takes no physical strength and I can stay like that hours on. It isn't comfortable, but it isn't hard. If I do stay like that for several hours there is a good chance that my back will become sore and I'll get a headache from strain and blood rushing to my head. Now, did I exercise? Was this physically exerting? Of course it wasn't, but I still got injured.

In conclusion:
Readers of the debate, you can see why sport isn't bound by the skill, it isn't bound by the team aspect, when it comes down to it we want sports to combine mind and body, we want them to show us who truly is the best athlete. Gaming is fun, takes skill and involves a fierce competition, but it isn't a physical activity. my opponent and I both agree on the definition of sports, and my opponent and I are also aware that in order for something to be a sport it must be physical. I have already shown that gaming isn't physical under normal circumstances and thus have negated the resolution. My opponent must now show us why gaming is physical and what really makes a sport under our definition

I await the next set of arguments.

Recchie8 forfeited this round.

oculus_de_logicia has extended his arguments.

(Wait, that isn't a real automatic message? Well, it is now!)

Recchie8 forfeited this round.

My opponent has forfeited the debate.
Posted by Recchie8 2 years ago
You can state you case :)
Posted by oculus_de_logica 2 years ago
IS the first round acceptance only or may I state my case?
Vote Placed by Krazzy_Player 2 years ago