BeachedTurtle
melody1

Is gay ok.

BeachedTurtle

BeachedTurtle

Pro

I would like to engage someone in a debate concerning gay marriage/rights/existence that focuses on whether or not homosexuality is ethical. I would like to make it clear that I enjoy debate in a more argumentative fashion. This means rather lose conduct. I would prefer an opponent willing to argue in this style, but it is not necessary. I myself am bisexual, however I have no problem dealing with peoples beliefs, so don't hold back. I am new to debate.org, so apologies in advance for any mistakes caused my unfamiliarity with the website.

P.S homophobes welcome
melody1

Con

I am glad to debate this topic I believe strongly in. I am going to avoid any fallacies and insults which take away from the debate, and cause pointless rhetoric. Thanks for the oppurtunity.
P.S. I am not a homophobe but I do not believe in gay marriage.
BeachedTurtle

Pro

Thank you for excepting my argument.

I'd like to open in such a way as to establish a clear view of my opponent's standing, so I will start with a series of questions, that will then be followed by some opinions or reason. These questions will reflect my views as well as give this debate some needed clarity.

1st. How does Gay marriage affect you.
- Two men or women marrying each other has no real effect on anyone other then them.
2nd. Is your view of gay marriage altered or dictated by a religion. If so do you have an argument that does not require faith in said religion.
- To many arguments against gay marriage use only proof from their religion, such as: quotes from the bible, laws of the world proclaimed by a preacher/religious official, and gut feelings. (Note: you are still welcome to use religious reasoning)

3rd do you believe that gay marriage/unity is not right because it does not produce children/or is not the way god intended.
- Many people pose this argument, however, quite often I've found that these individuals have no problem with sexual acts with a woman that do not result in conception, such as blow jobs, hand jobs, and cunnilingus.
melody1

Con

As to your first question no gay relationships have no direct affect on me or my personal life.

I do not intend to use religion as an argument point despite the fact that I am a Christian. There is no point in using a source you yourself do not believe so I am saving us both time.

I intend to only use science and common sense in my arguments to avoid pointless rhetoric.

Thank You
BeachedTurtle

Pro

I apologize as I have not given this argument a clear definition. I attempted to in the last round, however my opponent to not give me anything to go off of. If necessary I will recreate this debate with a more defined goal - weather or not gay marriage should be legalized. I will make the best of the remaining rounds in this debate.

So for the purpose of the rest of this debate, which I have accidentally turned into an interview, why do you not agree with gay marriage.
melody1

Con

okay thank you for the clarification.

(1). According to the Scientific American website "our role, the meaning of life, is to perpetuate the genes". Since the purpose of evolution is to adapt to an environment in order to perpetuate the organism's genes A.K.A. "reproduce". Therefore, the natural order of nature, whether you are religious or not, means that gay couples cannot fulfill their base purpose as an organism. Further, for those who would like to tout the supposed "gay gene" a quote in "The Guardian" from Michael Bailey one of the lead researchers for the Northwestern University in Illinois, and one of the discoverers of the "gay gene", says, "The genes were neither sufficient, nor necessary, to make any of the men gay." Therefore not only is being gay not biological, but it violates he purpose of any organism which is to reproduce.

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com...
http://www.onenewsnow.com...

BeachedTurtle

Pro

I will start by saying I agree with your second point, that we are not born gay. From personal experience, having formally been gay (now I identify as bi), I would say that being gay is much like many other preferences or personality traits, such as how charismatic someone is. Multiple studies show the various levels of homo or hetero sexuality, such as the Kinsey scale. These show that people are not always exclusively one or the other, instead that some people fluctuate through various stages of sexuality through out their lives.

On to your first point. Our goal as a species is to survive and adapt. This does not mean that every single human on the planet must reproduce, instead it should be said that every human should contribute, in some way, to the lasting existence of humanity. Your argument might apply in ancient times, when people were predominately hunter gatherers and lived in much smaller communities. During these ancient times each and every child would have been necessary. However once civilization was born the need for every person to reproduce has dropped as population become more stable. The fact that not every person must reproduce has become the very clear in modern times, this is of course because of overpopulation. In our current times slowing reproduction would be beneficial to furthering the existence of the human race.

Just as a side point, if gay marriage stays illegal do you think that would cause gay people to change and decide to like women, that wouldn't happen.
melody1

Con

melody1 forfeited this round.
Posted by NiamC 2 years ago
NiamC
Gay is A-ok!
Posted by NiamC 2 years ago
NiamC
"homophobes welcome"...
Posted by Pfalcon1318 2 years ago
Pfalcon1318
Perhaps a debate on gay marriage/rights would be better.

Most people (on DDO, who are not Christian fundamentalists) would agree that gay marriage is ok. There are some secular arguments against gay marriage though.

Assuming you didn't want to get into a religious debate, that might be your best option.
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
BeachedTurtlemelody1Tied
Vote Placed by ldow2000 2 years ago
ldow2000
BeachedTurtlemelody1Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Interesting format, but I feel pro just had slightly better arguments.
Vote Placed by Jacob_Bauman 2 years ago
Jacob_Bauman
BeachedTurtlemelody1Tied
Reasons for voting decision: I still firmly believe in equal marriage rights. Despite a very capable argument.