SocialDemocrat
provideoman123

Is global warming real and manmade?

SocialDemocrat
Voting Style: Open Point System: Select Winner

SocialDemocrat

Pro

I will be arguing global warming is both real and manmade.
Con can argue that it does not exist or that it does but is a result of nature that we can not help.
For the first round just clarify that you understand your position.
provideoman123

Con

Hello my friend. Time to brush up on my global warming skills.

I'll have you know that global warming is a natural thing and there's nothing you can do about it. Just like me. I exist and there's nothing you can do to stop that. Your profile picture is so ironic because you are an American.

With Regard,
Provideoman123
SocialDemocrat

Pro

To defend my point of view I will mostly use secondary sources off the internet that analyze this.
So me and provider are both in agreement that global warming is real, but I believe it is man made while he believe it is completely natural, so that is our topic, ok.

So first I will say that my point in this first argument is that one of the main causes of the rapid climate change is the carbon dioxide levels. So first we must know how carbon dioxide is emitted. The most carbon intensive fuel is-coal. Through this, we also know coal is one of the highest materials burned to produce electricity.
An article from iea.org says this- "As of 2013 coal provided approximately 41% of the world's electricity needs." This shows that the coal that countries across the world burn is releasing massive amounts of carbon dioxide/CO2 . Transportation and industry also account for very large carbon dioxide emissions.
For this to mean anything we have to know that carbon dioxide contributes to global warming and how it does. This is pretty much the greenhouse effect. An article by epa.gov says- "When sunlight reaches Earth"s surface, it can either be reflected back into space or absorbed by Earth. Once absorbed, the planet releases some of the energy back into the atmosphere as heat (also called infrared radiation). Greenhouse gases (GHGs) like water vapor (H2O), carbon dioxide (CO2), and methane (CH4) absorb energy, slowing or preventing the loss of heat to space. In this way, GHGs act like a blanket, making Earth warmer than it would otherwise be. This process is commonly known as the "greenhouse effect."
What this shows us is the carbon dioxide is being released back as heat, and with the high levels being released do to humans burning fossil fuels such as coal and oil, this is what is causing global warming.
provideoman123

Con

provideoman123 forfeited this round.
SocialDemocrat

Pro

so you did not really make any counters or arguments because you forfeited, so there is nothing really for me to do right now.
provideoman123

Con

provideoman123 forfeited this round.
SocialDemocrat

Pro

You did not extend your argument so I win.
provideoman123

Con

provideoman123 forfeited this round.
Vote Placed by U.n 1 year ago
U.n
SocialDemocratprovideoman123
Who won the debate:Vote Checkmark-
Reasons for voting decision: Con accepted the debate, opened with an unnecessary insult ("Your profile picture is so ironic because you are an American.") and forfeited three turns. Pro posted an argument that he supported with cited web articles. To me Pro was the clear cut winner.