csillere99
goldman

Is globalisation good?

csillere99

Pro

If you accept this debate, here are the rules I hope to see you follow:
-you are to respond to the argument made before and THEN put your own argument through
-no copy pasting from anywhere, use your own words
-use a wide variety of sources, not your own knowledge
-and don't go off the subject
Thanks in advance,
Pro.
goldman

Con

I accept the debate. The development of means of communication like Internet on a global scale, the end of Cold War and the emergence of global capitalism based on the idea of new liberalism have fueled the wave of globalization.
At the same time it has led to the emergence of Global Society or Global Community.
However, in reality, I believe that it has produced a number of ill-effects on society, economy and human life in many parts of the world. Therefore, in my opinion globalization is not a good phenomena.

I look forward to an enlightening debate.
csillere99

Pro

I partly agree to your statement, however, with such a light amount of detail and a rather broad argument I find it hard to post an argument against yours. Yes, globalisation does have ill effects on society but has many more positive advantages that it brings to society. Globalisation is the link between countries, it brings together people that would not be together otherwise, it also brings many jobs (although i admit the work conditions are not always perfect they are there). At least work is available to these people in LEDCs. Alright, people in MEDCs lose their jobs because the companies want to make more profit, BUT, for the wages of ONE person in an MEDC, around 12 people in an LEDC have a job available to them. These jobs in LEDCs help to develop countries that need the help to develop,and TNCs are doing this.
I look forward to your counterargument.
goldman

Con

As Round 1 was a round of acceptance, I did not present my arguments.
So, in this round I present my arguments.
Before that, my rebuttals are made against Pro`s arguments in Round 2.
Pro said that ``these jobs in LEDCs help to develop countries that need the help to develop, and TNCs are doing this.``

It is true that TNCs offer job opportunities for many workers. However, in reality they are employed with low-wages and their labor condition is not reasonable. They are exploited by the capitalists of western global companies.
For example, many Japanese companies have production facilities in China. Many workers there are dissatisfied with cheap wages. This fuels anti-Japanese movements in the country.
Global companies are contributing to the economic growth of the host countries. However, their business strategy are not justified from the view point of social justice and social responsibility for global business.

My arguments : Firstly, globalization produces mass unemployment in the developed country like the United States.
We must keep in mind that it is closely linked to global capitalism in which big Multinational companies try to seek for a large amount of profits by transferring their production facilities to low-waged countries like China and India.

This contributes to reducing production cost greatly and to getting profits as much as possible. On the other side, their strategies deprive job opportunities of many workers in the developed countries like the U.S. The life of middle class is threatened. These days American people pay less on consumer goods to survive every day life.
Therefore, the vitality of the economy is lost. The important thing is that American economy has been facing recession and mass unemployment caused by the wave of globalization of business.

Secondly, local culture is being threatened mainly by the effects of mass media and modern communication system like Internet on a global scale. We must pay much attention to newly emerging trends happening in globalizing world.

For example, we can point out the situation like ``spreading of multiculturalism and increased individual access to cultural diversity, with on the other hand, reduction in diversity through assimilation, hybridization, Westernization, Americanization.``(http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org...)

The important thing is that ``influence of local cultures and traditions will slowly start to wear down. Incessant westernization of Southeast Asian nations has already put western cultural beliefs and traditions under the scanner in these countries.``(http://www.buzzle.com...)

I plan to continue my arguments for Round 3.

Good luck.
csillere99

Pro

Look, I agree that globalisation is not only a good thing for society, but consider my side of the argument as well as yours as I have done. Without globalisation we wouldn't have most of the things we own, this wouldn't be available to us. Yes, the workers in LEDCs are not that well treated, but they are happier with this job in bad working conditions compared to no jobs at all. If these workers were unhappy with the working conditions or their wages they would quit the job, but they can't, these people need to survive, they need to eat, if they have kids, then they have to pay for education. Most of these workers, work not only for themselves, but to support their families. If they would quit, many more people in the same conditions as them would be thankful to have a job in bad conditions and with low wages. You must understand that there aren't many jobs in LEDCs. But, yes, I do agree that these workers don't work in the best conditions. However, TNCs want to make the biggest amount of profit as possible, and they are not responsible for the working conditions as TNCs pay a factory to make the products, who then pay and take care of the workers.
I hope to see your argument i the following round, and the best of luck to you.
goldman

Con

Response to Pro`s arguments for Round 3 : In Round 3, Pro did not present his opinion about my argument on the threat of local culture caused by globalization. I look forward to Pro`s opinion about my argument.

Pro said in Round 3 that ``these people need to survive, they need to eat, if they have kids, then they have to pay for education.`` It is true that they must support their families. I agree with Pro`s opinion.
Globalization of business help their survival. The problem is the way how many big companies manage and control their local employees. I believe that building a cooperative and trusted relationship between them is indispensable for a long -term success of their global business. Managers must keep in mind that their global business can not be carried on effectively and efficiently without participation of local workers.

My arguments : Thirdly, globalization leads to the loss of local language or the reduction of the importance of it.
For example, for the last decade many companies of the developed countries have established production facilities and Research and Development facilities in the emerging country like China.

English is widely used in their their organization and in promoting their business activities. So people who work for their companies are strongly required to use English not local language. Regarding this situation, Thomas Friedman, author of the World is Flat, points out that ``Japanese companies now outsource to Dalian, in northeast China, hiring various Software engineers and more technically savvy people.
In fact this area continues to emphasize the importance of Japanese culture by teaching the children Japanese in primary schooling, and suggesting to college students that they take a year to study Japanese, English, and computer science to become employable. The mayor and political figures keep the Japanese culture alive in China, despite their painful historical war, in order to be competitive in the global economy.``( By Renee Alison Stepler, Loss of Languages- A result of globalization, www.personal.psu.edu)

Fourthly, globalization of financial transaction brings about the loss of financial resources of a nation.
With the developing of economic globalization financial resources moves beyond national borders dynamically.
This movement threatens financial stability of a nation.
I point out this case surrounding Cyprus. After the collapse of Soviet Union big companies and the wealthy people in Russia transferred their financial resources in the banks of Cyprus to evade tax and get higher interest.
Banks of Cyprus got a large amount of financial wealth. ``Banks in Cyprus had a large amount of bonds issued by the Greek government. They suffered badly because of Greece`s sovereign debt crisis and plummeted into a crisis.
On average, the total assets of banks in each EU member country are about 3.5 times GDP. But the corresponding figure for Cypriot banks is about seven times GDP. If Russian money flees Cyprus, another bank crisis could happen in the country.``( Lessons of the Cyprus crisis, Editorial of The Japan Times, March 30, 2013)

This is an example which financial globalization fuels the financial predicament of a nation.
I argued two disadvantages caused by globalization in this Round.
I look forward to Pro`s arguments.
csillere99

Pro

csillere99 forfeited this round.
goldman

Con

In this last round I present my conclusion. The important thing is that in particular globalization of a national economy is closely linked with global capitalism and the new liberalism. We must pay attention to the situation of the locomotive of the world economy,the United States, where many workers has lost their job opportunities for many years caused by the transferring of manufacturing facilities to the developing countries and the decline of competitiveness among many companies.
This situation has urged many people to spend less on consumer goods and housing. Crisis and recession of the United States have led the recession in the newly emerging countries like China, India and other countries.
The reason is that those countries depend too much on the export for the U.S. to keep their economy going and to maintain stable job offering for their workers. The drastic decline of domestic demand of the U.S. might invite the economic crisis on a global scale in the future. Globalization and new liberalism was advocated and promoted by the U.S. They were intended to realize global prosperity and the progress of the world economy.
However, unfortunately, globalization of economy has produced unreasonable situation not only for the U.S. but for the rest of the world.