xealen
1Credo

Is god real?

1Credo

xealen

Con

let's take a step back and really analyze religion. I'm going to base my argument off of a christian or catholic religion as those seem to be the most popular. First off creation. Ww know for an absolute fact that the earth is older than six thousand years old. Mountains, plate tectonics, fossils, light and even stars and other celestial bodies tell us the same story, the universe is much older than six thousand years old. 13.8 billion more to be exact. Now why is it that the bible, Koran or other religious texts spew something different? It is because the writers at the time were writing those texts FROM THEIR PERSPECTIVES, they had nothing to do with "divine influence". Man created god so god could create them. The catholic church believes that the "holy spirit" guides us all and influenced the writers of the bible to write what they did down. So why did they write so much fantasy and fiction? I could go on for days about how many false and impossible stories appear in the bible. Not to mention all the contradictions and just plain weird and odd rules. you may go to hell for eating shellfish or letting you wife own property according to the catholic bible.

Now some theists might respond with "well how can something come from nothing?". The problem with this argument is it assumes that because we can't quite explain it yet that it is false. Did you know that the universe is = to 0? During the big bang an equal amount of anti-matter and matter were flung out of the explosion, so essentially the universe "is" nothing and cancels out.
1Credo

Pro

Acceptance

I accept. The burden of proof in this debate will be shared, with my opponent presenting arguments against God while I present arguments in favor of God.

Rebuttal

I'll address my opponent's opening statement before moving on to present arguments in favor of God:

Ww know for an absolute fact that the earth is older than six thousand years old"

I agree that the Earth is older than 6,000 years old and that the universe is approximately 13.8 billion years old.

"why is it that the bible Koran or other religious texts spew something diferent?"

My opponent asserts that the Bible is in conflict with contemporary science with regard to the age of the Earth. He fails to provide justification for this assertion. What reason is there to think that such a conflict exists?

"Man created god so god could create them"

Another unwarranted assertion.

"The catholic church believes that the holy spirit guides us all and influenced the writers of the bible to write what they did down So why did they write so much fantasy and fiction?"

Not all Biblical stories are meant to be taken as literal (i.e. the story of Jonah). However, this does not mean that these stories do not contain theological significance. What reason is there to think that the Holy Spirit couldn't guide Biblical authors to write these sorts of stories, even if some of them aren't meant to be taken as literal?

Arguments For God

P1: Everything that begins to exist has a cause.
P2: The universe began to exist.
C1: Therefore, the universe has a cause.

http://now.tufts.edu...

P1: If God does not exist, objective moral values and duties do not exist.
P2: Objective moral values and duties do exist.
C1: Therefore, God exists.

Due to character limitations, I don't have room to elaborate on the arguments' premises. I'll have to wait to see my opponent's objections before going into further detail.

My opponent must knock down at least one premise in each argument in order to reject the conclusion that God exists.
xealen

Con

xealen forfeited this round.
1Credo

Pro

Extend arguments
xealen

Con

xealen forfeited this round.
1Credo

Pro

Extend arguments
xealen

Con

xealen forfeited this round.
1Credo

Pro

Extend arguments.

Vote Pro!
Posted by debatefox 1 year ago
debatefox
to me the idea of "god" just seem's random. there are millions and millions of explanation's for life and for a person to believe that a big man up in the sky said one day "oh i'm bored oh i know let me create a world" and then using some sort of magic he poofed up earth. but wait theres more he also puffed up an entire universe. why? also who created god? was he just here and by the same logic could earth and life just be here.
Posted by jethro_purazo 1 year ago
jethro_purazo
For me and many people who are in this organization, you are referring to a "god" such as Zeus, Poseidon, Hermes and et cetera because you're spelling is like that. Not being a perfectionist but I'm just having my words of opinion based on what I can see. based on you're given topic, I have a question: Is your question really "Is god real" or "Is God real"?

Just a reminder...
If you will have a debate, please check your spelling and grammar correctly because many of us here are the type of people that are very strict in terms of such things. Thanks.
Vote Placed by Ragnar 1 year ago
Ragnar
xealen1CredoTied
Reasons for voting decision: FF, and no contest to any points... Really it feels like con dropped out once anyone said anything intelligent that disagreed with him, not much better than living in a cave fearing the lightening outside.
Vote Placed by Paleophyte 1 year ago
Paleophyte
xealen1CredoTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con forfeits