swarner55
emospongebob527

Is god real?

swarner55

Con

I don't think god is real. There is a scientific explanation for everything and god is more of a magical source, and even though I want magic to be real, it isn't. I believe that god is just a made up figure used to make people feel better about dying and one day someone got to serious into it and wrote a book about him which we now know as the bible.
emospongebob527

Pro

Since Con has decided to make R1 arguments when I would normally have the BOP, I assume he has shifted the BOP to himself.

I don't think god is real.

Well sorry to break it to ya but debating is about truth and logic, not belief.

Non sequitur my friend, non sequitur.

There is a scientific explanation for everything and god is more of a magical source, and even though I want magic to be real, it isn't.

There is most certainly not a scientific explanation for everything.

Things science can not prove:

1) Existential Truth: Science cannot prove that you aren’t merely a brain in a jar being manipulated to think this is all actually happening. (Think of something like in “The Matrix”.) It also cannot prove that the world wasn’t created 5 minutes ago with the appearance of age (and with fake memories in your head, and half-digested food in your stomach, etc). However it’s still rational to believe that our memories are true and that the world is real.

2) Moral Truth: Science cannot prove that rape is evil. While it is possible to demonstrate, for example, that there are negative physical or psychological effects of rape, there is no scientific test that can prove it is evil. Science can describe how the natural world is, but moral truth carries an “oughtness” (how things should be) about it that goes beyond what merely is.

3) Logical Truth: Consider the statement “Science is the only way to really know truth.” How could you prove that statement by science? It is actually self-refuting because there is no scientific test you could use to prove that it is true! Science cannot prove logic to be true because it assumes and requires logic in order for it to work.

4) Historical Truth: Science cannot prove that Barack Obama won the 2008 United States presidential election. There is no scientific test we could perform to prove it. We could have an investigation if we wanted to confirm that he did actually win, but the method for proving historical truths is different from testing scientific truths since historical truths are by nature non-repeatable.

5) Experiential Truth: Science cannot prove that your spouse loves you. When asked why so-and-so loves you, you may cite precedent (times when their behavior demonstrates their love for you) but this is a particular type of historical truth. There is no scientific test that can confirm a lifetime of experience of knowing a person.

As for you claim that God is just a magical force, I can not address it because, I presume magic exists, when you claim he is magical, please prove magic doesn't exist, to substasiate your claim.

I believe that god is just a made up figure used to make people feel better about dying and one day someone got to serious into it and wrote a book about him which we now know as the bible.

My opponent is addressing his own beliefs into something that requires well verified arguments beyond one's own beliefs..

swarner55

Con

swarner55 forfeited this round.
emospongebob527

Pro

Extend my arguments.
swarner55

Con

swarner55 forfeited this round.
emospongebob527

Pro

Extend my arguments.
swarner55

Con

swarner55 forfeited this round.