Is god worth believing in?

Yes, because if there is a creation there must be a creator, for example: a pencil, the pencil didnt make itself, someone or some company obviously made it, it didnt suddenly appear by itself, even we didnt suddenly appear ourselves.

It is unclear which "god" you are referring to. There really are a multitude of gods that human beings have believed in over the vast history of mankind. RA? Thor? Oden? Zeus? Eric Clapton?

I would respectfully request that Pro defines the meaning of "god" for the purpose of this debate.

Even as I await that information form the Pro side, I will argue that NO, "god" isn't worth believing in. Unless the Pro side defines Clapton as "god". That could change everything.

here are more than 400,000 species of flowers in the world, and most of them are not edible. Their job is to simply make the world beautiful. Did they just haphazardly evolve over time, or did a loving God create each individual shape and color scheme for our enjoyment? People who choose to deny God don"t spend enough time looking at tulips, snapdragons, orchids, lilies, lotuses or magnolias. This is why it"s really important to stop and smell the roses!The material world we know is a world of change. This young woman came to be 5'2", but she was not always that height. The great oak tree before us grew from the tiniest acorn. Now when something comes to be in a certain state, such as mature size, that state cannot bring itself into being. For until it comes to be, it does not exist, and if it does not yet exist, it cannot cause anything.
As for the thing that changes, although it can be what it will become, it is not yet what it will become. It actually exists right now in this state (an acorn); it will actually exist in that state (large oak tree). But it is not actually in that state now. It only has the potentiality for that state.
The human brain...simultaneously processes an amazing amount of information. Your brain takes in all the colors and objects you see, the temperature around you, the pressure of your feet against the floor, the sounds around you, the dryness of your mouth, even the texture of your keyboard. Your brain holds and processes all your emotions, thoughts and memories. At the same time your brain keeps track of the ongoing functions of your body like your breathing pattern, eyelid movement, hunger and movement of the muscles in your hands.

existence of GodThe human brain processes more than a million messages a second.7 Your brain weighs the importance of all this data, filtering out the relatively unimportant. This screening function is what allows you to focus and operate effectively in your world. The brain functions differently than other organs. There is an intelligence to it, the ability to reason, to produce feelings, to dream and plan, to take action, and relate to other people.

Therefor there is initial proof of the existence of god

There is unfathomable suffering going on in the world as I type this. Murder. Rape. Starvation. Incredible pain and despair is occurring at all times in every corner of the world. Is this type of unchecked suffering proof that God doesn't exist? If there is a God, is it apparent that it turns a blind eye to massive human suffering? These questions are truly unanswerable.

Back to formal question at hand in this debate: Is god worth believing in? For the purpose of debate my stance is: No.

All we can empirically deduce is that this existence in which we all find ourselves - is finite. There is no concrete proof that our consciousness continues after our mortal bodies die. Rather than waste precious time "believing" in an all powerful creator to save or to guide us, instead we must focus on what is happening in our individual lives and in the world around us. If our earthy existence is really all there is, it would be a flight of fancy to waste our thoughts and time on believing in "god". I prefer to believe in myself. I prefer to spend my time contemplating my relationships with friends, family and the world at large.

Disavowing "god" (however it is defined) is, in essence, to set oneself free. Embracing the here and now. Embracing the power that all of us possess through our own freewill is the ultimate expression of what it means to be alive. Dogmatically believing in "god" is to deny the human spirit.

i would like to start with saying that i have no means of offending anyone's religion in any matter. The proof of the existence of God is obvious, yet someone like you needs more explanation, so here is what i have got:

to make it clear, i am talking only one god in specific. If there were 2 gods they would have there own ways of designing things, but AGAIN we do not see this. Others like atheists do not have a religion, so if you do not know if god is worth believing in or not you might want to look forward to being an atheist. What if there was a god that judges us by our deeds when we die or when the world ends, and again what if not. So you should be an atheist if you are not sure, but i am saying that its most likely that god is real and hes worth believing in, because AGAIN if there is a creator there must be a creation,if you have something like a pencil, it was made, it didn't just come to being itself. if there is a god he/she must sustain there creation, if you had a diamond ring that is worth thousands, you would obviously look after it (unless you are dumb enough to not)

I don't subscribe to the "cover all the bases" theory in belief. I do not believe in a supreme being that judges us and our lives. Life is ridiculously short and I believe that getting caught up in religion (a dubious product of dogmatic belief in a "god") is a massive waste of time and effort.

It is almost impossible to discuss belief in "god" without bringing up religion. Throughout thousands of years of human history, humans have sought to explain natural phenomenon with belief in a higher being. Creation stories of all kinds have been utilized using scores of "Gods" to comfort the masses. The stark human fear of death has certainly lead to a creation of Gods to help explain what happens to us after we die. Would it be so bad if we just live our lives here on earth and when our mortal bodies expire we cease to exist? Religion comes from belief in God and religion has caused uncountable death and misery throughout history. The obvious fact is that humans are the creators. Mankind fabricated "God" to justify many things (including genocide). Taking the time to "believe in god" has directly led to the creation many religions, most of which have sought to control humanity and often kill (in the name of God).

I prefer to put my faith in myself, and not a made-up God. I know there have been hundreds of Gods to choose from over the history of humanity, but I have yet to find one to my liking (maybe Thor).

If God is the creator, who or what created "God"?

Now i will utilize characteristics of god to witness the proof:
God was not created by anything or anyone, neither is he a person,place,animal or thing. Hes a source, a light,an external and invisible force living beyond us, that we are unable to see. he is also called the hidden creator, meaning the one thats hidden from his own desighned creation. Anything can be possible, the probability still may be low, but impossible is nothing, it can still happen. Ex: If you invited guests to your house and told them to come at 10:00 am in the morning and its 10:00 pm and you know most likely that they wont come at all, but then they end up coming at 11:00 pm, it wasnt impossible, the probabilty was just low.

Is God to blame for human suffering? Is God the vehicle that all of humanity's hopes and fears ride upon? Is there a God?

Everything we know about life comes from our own empirical experiences as human beings. Would it be possible to know "God" without another human or book written by a human telling us? Again, the answer is no.

If I create a pencil, am I a God? My dog follows me around like I am his God. Is that some sort of proof that I am God?

Our earthly existence is finite. Our lives are measured in "time". Time flies, it is said. Is it worth spending precious time believing in a supreme being that is created in our own human minds?

God is the biggest lie the world has ever told.

We cannot blame god for human suffering because of our own actions, ex: If someone kills a person, it is he who is responsible for doing that, because he will eventually be caught and go to court and eventually jail, this was not going to happen if the person did not have killed a person. Hope and Fear come from our own actions, we will not have hope if it wasnt a cause for it and everyone has different kind of fear. God has sent a book named Quran, it has been written by god, if you deny the concept of it being written by god, than read the transalation. The transalation was written 1400 years ago when they did not have the equipment to go to the sky and the book talks about the shies. You probably created that pencil but who created you, who gave you the mind the hands and the body to do such things.

I haven't really seen any examples from my opponent as to why god is "worth believing in". Religious scriptures, including the Quran, were written by humans. There is zero proof that it was divinely inspired. The Quran, like pretty much all religious scripture has succeeded in dividing humanity. Schisms and sects have developed that battle each other to the death (Shia and Sunni Muslims are killing each other right now as I type this).

Believing in "God" means believing in religion. There just isn't strong evidence to suggest any of us should waste our time believing in a fairy tale.

I will spend my precious time believing in something or someone that matters.

God is lie.
Posted by Just-Call-Me-PK 8 months ago
I would like to know who con thinks is responsible for all the starvation and bad things in the world if con believes there to be no God? And also what evidence would point to not wasting time believing in God but rather only think about what is going on in our lives, on who's authotity is this a fact? Logically there has to be a being outwith us, because only such a being can give you the full truth.
Posted by Quoth 8 months ago
Pro's opening argument is a fallacy of composition. Would like to see a proper argument as well as seeing Con's request for clarification fulfilled.
Posted by ViceRegent 8 months ago
Do Con's evaluation of worth matter?
Vote Placed by TheRussian 8 months ago
Reasons for voting decision: Interesting discussion, but not so much a debate. As a result, Pro failed to fulfill his BoP and so the win goes to Con. Interesting thoughts on both sides, thank you for the read.