firefury14620
HashtagWar

Is gun control justified?

firefury14620

firefury14620

Con

I would like to establish some rules. First, if you accept, please participate. Second, I would like someone who is full-force supporting gun control. Last, please try to use good grammar and sound intelligent in your arguments.

Gun control laws are pretty strict currently. You have to have a license and you can't have a criminal record. These are very valid requirements for obtaining a gun. Personally, I would like to see something along the lines of any history of suicidal or homicidal psychiatric diagnoses, but overall, they are where they need to be.
My father owns guns. One of them is mine, although legally it is in his possession until I'm 18. My father and I had to go through training and classes to get a gun owner's license. You also have to renew those licenses every few years. Neither my father nor I have a criminal record. This makes us both eligible to own a gun. The people who are obtaining guns that they would not have been allowed to get legally are getting them from black market sellers. This means that, no matter how many gun laws are in place, there is still a way for these people to get guns. Chicago has the strictest gun control laws in the United States, but they also have the highest homicide count. There is no correlation between gun control and gun crimes. It's true, there are countries that have abolished gun use for any normal citizen, but that goes against one of the main points in the Bill of Rights, the right to bear arms. This states that a citizen should be allowed to own a gun to protect his or herself. I believe that the restraints currently in place do help, but going beyond that would just be a hassle for responsible gun owners that obtain their guns legally.
HashtagWar

Pro

Honestly gun I think gun control is justified and the fact that Chicago has the highest homicide count doesn't mean a thing considering there are many ways to kill without a gun. Also all the laws for gun control are absolutely perfect, but the black market thing is kind of a lie because the U.S. Gov. runs the black market along with regulating it. And for someone to get a gun illegally it would have to be from out of country. Pretty much smuggled in. Also if that doesn't work then make it so only the government can distribute and sell guns.
firefury14620

Con

The only problem with your argument is the fact that your solution would take away one of the basic human rights outlined in the Bill of Rights. I also apologize for this, but Chicago has the highest gun-related homicide rate in the country. You seem to be a very hopeful and trusting person, and I can appreciate that. However, it clouds your judgement. The government doesn't run the black market. The deep web hosts most gun sales. If you don't know what that is, it's a dark part of the internet that actually makes up 98% of what is considered to be online hosting. Drugs, hitmen, illegal weapons, you name it, they're all found there. The government knows about it, but can't trace any of it. This is where most gun transactions take place. Also, there are enough gun control laws in place currently, but most of them aren't enforced. This also contributes to the problem. If all of the national gun laws were enforced, gun violence could be almost completely obliterated. By not allowing the guns ordered on the deep web to get inside the border or through the mailing system, most of the bases will be covered. Adding more laws will just add more things to ignore, not more things to keep us safe.
HashtagWar

Pro

HashtagWar forfeited this round.
firefury14620

Con

I noticed that my opponent forfeited this last round. I now have nothing to rebuttal, but I do have some more facts that I would like to share.

There are 88.8 guns per 100 americans, which equals around 270,000,000 registered guns. Yet only 22% of Americans actually own a registered gun. This means that there aren't many gun owners but the ones who have obtained guns legally have multiple firearms. Most homicides are not carried out with guns. Around 14% of all murders have a gun involved. Most of these, however, only include a gun, but the gun wasn't actually used to do any harm. It is considered a gun violence crime if there is a gun that has been loaded and cocked, if necessary, at the scene in a place where one of the people there could have used it. This means that only around 3-5% of all homicides actually are committed with a gun. Do you see how this causes there to be no open correlation between gun ownership and gun violence. As I said before, 22% of Americans are REGISTERED gun owners. Most gun owners are not registered. This means that most gun violence, statistically, would happen with an illegally owned gun. The number is actually quite high, reaching around 95% of all gun violence crimes being performed with an illegally obtained gun. About 86% of that remaining 5% are committed with a legally purchased but stolen or borrowed weapon. This is my final statement. I hope the judges will consider my argument and understand why gun control is where it needs to be.
HashtagWar

Pro

HashtagWar forfeited this round.
Posted by firefury14620 1 year ago
firefury14620
I agree with you though, I was kind of rushed when I posted that.
Posted by firefury14620 1 year ago
firefury14620
I mean extra gun control. That is the technical name they are using for it. The rest is just common sense.
Posted by Overhead 1 year ago
Overhead
I think the title for the debate is a bit off from what it seems you actually want to argue. You yourself admit that gun control is justified and helps, so this seems like an automatic win for whoever takes PRO seeing as you've already conceded the point.
Vote Placed by dsjpk5 1 year ago
dsjpk5
firefury14620HashtagWarTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro ff many times, so conduct to Con.
Vote Placed by DebaterGood 1 year ago
DebaterGood
firefury14620HashtagWarTied
Reasons for voting decision: Although I believe in Pro's position, Con did not forfeit(conduct) and had arguments to back up the position. Con wins by default.