ptolemy2002
FanboyMctroll

Is hacking a good thing?

ptolemy2002 has forfeited round #5.
Voting Style: Open Point System: Select Winner
Started: 12/8/2017 Category: Technology

ptolemy2002

Con

When you hack, you are stealing information from somebody. Even if you are hacking into a hacker's computer, that does not make it right. Stealing is wrong no matter what. Taking something that is not yours is completely unacceptable. This applies to governments and developers too. The data stored in public databases should be limited and only used by the users to prevent hackers from getting the information. Therefore, hacking is a bad thing no matter what situation you are in.
FanboyMctroll

Pro

Hacking is good because it exposes corruption, cheating, and it helps governments track down criminals and terrorists.

Hacking has shown us how the NSA is spying on everyone, hacking has shown us the Panama Papers and how corrupt government and corporations are with off shore tax evasion.

Hacking has stopped hundreds of ISIS and other terrorist attacks being planned.

Anyone who doesn't like hacking should have a closed circuit network. As long as you are connected through the internet you are connected to the whole world and anyone anywhere can access your network and hack.

Just like how I'm running a Trojan packet sniffer right now to track your IP address and access your hard drive LOL
ptolemy2002

Con

"Just like how I'm running a Trojan packet sniffer right now to track your IP address and access your hard drive LOL"

I am assuming that you are joking about hacking my computer right now.

"Hacking is good because it exposes corruption, cheating, and it helps governments track down criminals and terrorists."

Hacking might expose corruption and cheating, but it essentially is corruption and cheating also. If the NSA didn't spy on anyone, hacking wouldn't be needed to reveal that they are spying on people. The same thing is true for a lot of other situations. Criminals and terrorists can be tracked just fine without hacking.

"Anyone who doesn't like hacking should have a closed circuit network. As long as you are connected through the internet you are connected to the whole world and anyone anywhere can access your network and hack."

That's my point. Hacking is very bad because anybody can access your data and steal it. There should be much more security.

If you stole something from a robber's house, that doesn't make your action a good thing. You would go to jail. In the same way, if you hack a hacker/terrorist, that does not mean that your hacking is suddenly made good. It is still bad.
FanboyMctroll

Pro

I am assuming that you are joking about hacking my computer right now

I am currently running a scan of the ports, and doing a port scan. So stay on your machine a little longer. This will show me the ports that are open on your machine, the OS, will tell me what type of firewall or router you are using so I can plan a course of action on your system. Ok I'm in, now I'm going to use Rainbow Tables to crack your passwords, by the way you might want to block your camera on your machine, I can see everything. Ok I'm going to install a TCP scan to reveal your password on proxy. Ok now I'm going to get the root privileges through your administrator privileges. Ok I'm going to set myself up as the admin on your network and then I will be able to access all your data. Hope you don't keep banking info on there LOL

That's how easy it is. And any criminal can do it also, this is why you need to hack the criminals as well, that is why hacking is not bad. How do you think the CIA tracked ISIS and home grown terrorism. Through legal channels? that would take months to get a warrant and by then the criminals or terrorists already have moved their data somewhere else, or put new encryption on it.

Like I said before, if you don't want anything hacked or stolen, then don't put it online. I use a burner phone because I don't want to be tracked. If I have sensitive info I don't even use the burner, I meet face to face for a conversation, no recording of it then.

Hacking criminals and terrorists is the only way to stop crime and stay ahead of it. I don't know what type of Mormon lawful good world you live in but if we didn't hack as the government, you would have bombings all over the place, hacking stops criminals who communicate online, everything is done online now and hacking is part of it.

If you have sensitive info, don't put it on the computer, or don't hook up the internet to your computer. As soon as you hook internet to your computer, it's like leaving the front door of your house open when you leave, anyone can come in from anywhere in the world. You are essentially saying come on in and take what you want. No computer system is unhackable unless you have a close circuit system and no foreign people or data uploaded to it.
ptolemy2002

Con

"I am currently running a scan of the ports, and doing a port scan. So stay on your machine a little longer. This will show me the ports that are open on your machine, the OS, will tell me what type of firewall or router you are using so I can plan a course of action on your system. Ok I'm in, now I'm going to use Rainbow Tables to crack your passwords, by the way you might want to block your camera on your machine, I can see everything. Ok I'm going to install a TCP scan to reveal your password on proxy. Ok now I'm going to get the root privileges through your administrator privileges. Ok I'm going to set myself up as the admin on your network and then I will be able to access all your data. Hope you don't keep banking info on there LOL That's how easy it is."

Are you actually doing this, or just telling me how easy it is?

"How do you think the CIA tracked ISIS and homegrown terrorism. "

Just because somebody is doing bad things out there, does not mean that we should do bad things to them.

"Hacking criminals and terrorists is the only way to stop crime and stay ahead of it."

Most criminals don't even use computers.

"I don't know what type of Mormon lawful good world you live in but if we didn't hack as the government, you would have bombings all over the place, hacking stops criminals who communicate online, everything is done online now and hacking is part of it."

I know that hacking is done online, but I also know that it is bad. The consequences of no hacking would not be as dramatic as you state. In fact, it would cause very good things to happen because of no stolen ID or information. Hacking could be what gets a terrorist into the country in the first place. No hacking means no doing that.
FanboyMctroll

Pro

ptolemy2002, I don't know what age you live in but in 2017, soon to be 2018, everything is digital now, everything we do is computerized, from your car which by the way I can hack, to remotely turning on your furnace, adjusting the refrigerator and GPS tracking through your phone. Every device and item you use has a chip in it, most can be accessed through wifi, the whole world is connected digitally. So therefore anything can be hacked, so unless you live in a cave in a middle of a forest where there is no wifi signal, everything is hackable.

There are bad hackers and there are good hackers. Hacking is not going away. You asked how the CIA hacks, read about Stuxnet, a secret program where the USA hacked the Iranian nuclear plants to override the cores to stop Iran from creating nuclear weapons. This is why hacking is good. Panama papers also good hacking exposing fraud by the rich and greedy.

You must be thinking of the hackers who steal banking info and identity theft, yes that is bad hacking, but you have to be aware there is also good hacking.

Either way hacking is here to stay and it's never going away unless we revert from the digital age back to the stone age.

By the way you might want to change and update your password, there are some interesting folders you have on your desk top LOL, also try clearing up your browser history, your choice of porn was amusing
ptolemy2002

Con

First of all, my computer doesn't have a desktop. But I think that you have at least some access to my computer, so I am ending this debate and reporting the argument.
FanboyMctroll

Pro

And I win again!!!

Another one bites the dust!!!

Still the unanimous champion by defaults alone, and still the heavy weight debating champ, give it up fooooooooorrrrrr

Fanboy!!!!!!!!!!
Posted by Emilrose 7 months ago
Emilrose
Personally, I think multi accounting is bad.
Posted by Emilrose 7 months ago
Emilrose
It's funny how fanboy sounds so much like Masterful.
Posted by FanboyMctroll 7 months ago
FanboyMctroll
It was the horse porn on your computer that I found, that did it, wasn't it?
Posted by FanboyMctroll 7 months ago
FanboyMctroll
ptolemy2002, has no debating skills
because he is out of his psych pills
and he is off now running for the foothills
leaving this debate without any thrills
Posted by ptolemy2002 7 months ago
ptolemy2002
I do not want to debate anymore. How do I end this debate?
Posted by ptolemy2002 7 months ago
ptolemy2002
Posted by ptolemy2002 7 months ago
ptolemy2002
That is an example of a bad thing happening because of another bad thing, which still isn't justifiable. Perhaps a faster and easier way to solve the problem would be to break the phone.

My point is that Hacking causes bad things and sometimes more hacking. Therefore, it is a bad thing.
Posted by S3RP 7 months ago
S3RP
You seem to be out of touch with reality. Your whole stance is "Hacking is bad because I made up this completely theoretical scenario which is realistically impossible and I will ignore any valid arguments which apply to REAL WORLD scenarios". Even then, I can still argue against you.

Let's say there is a scenario where there's a terrorist threat and the terrorists have a bomb hooked up to detonate upon a countdown which is attached to a phone.

Upon the arrival of the counter-terrorism bomb squad, they realize that the wiring on the bomb is too complex to be safely defused because at any moment the detonation could happen.

We can assume that any competent terrorist would have smashed the phone's screen so you can't just simply access the phone and go to the app which is the timer for the bomb. The counter-terrorism squad could simply hack into the phone via a laptop and stop the timer from counting down.

What's your next debate topic going to be about? How cars are bad because car accidents exist?
Posted by ptolemy2002 7 months ago
ptolemy2002
Hacking is a bad thing, and the fact that it can be used for good is just a side note of the bad. The only reason people hack for good is that other people hack for bad. That is also one of the only reasons we need such advanced security systems. My argument is driven by the fact that if nobody hacked, good things would happen/bad things would be avoided. Thus, you can conclude that hacking is a bad thing. This debate is not so much about creating new laws against hacking and stopping it as much as it is about deciding if it is good or bad. So saying that hackers will always exist and can't be stopped would be irrelevant, although it may be true.
Posted by S3RP 7 months ago
S3RP
Hackers are the reason why security systems today are so advanced. No matter what, you will have black hat hackers who are going to steal information and do unethical things, that is a fact. If we did not have white hat hackers then we would not be sufficiently protected against those who want to do bad with their technical capabilities. Also, round 2 argument of con is laughable and silly, and not an argument at all. "If the NSA didn't spy on us", I think you have a very naive and overly optimistic view of others in our world, example, the NSA does spy on us and whether or not we have hackers to expose them does not change that. Hacking itself does not have to be unethical. For example, hacking your own property because you want to sufficiently find weak spots in your security for the purpose of upgrading them AND/OR maybe you have lost access to your account, and you get someone to hack it back for you. See the thing is, hacking can be viewed as a subjective topic, just like killing. We see, hopefully we do, killing someone to gain money as unethical, whereas, killing someone in self-defense because they were chasing us with a butcher knife screaming "DIE" is seen as justified. Context matters. If you watch someone steal your $5 from your wallet, is it unethical to steal the same $5 back?