Lusi
Dann

Is hate speech a type of discrimination?

Lusi

Pro

I believe that hate speech is a form of discrimination, thus it must be included in Anti-discrimination laws as one form of discrimination. What do you think?
Dann

Con

Counterpose:

Do you believe in Freedom of Speech? And if so, how do you square that with outlawing the type of speech that you don't want to hear?

Speech itself is not discrimination, its just speech. Discrimination is known through actions, not words alone.

Can hate speech lead to / bring forth discriminatory actions? Sure it can. Of course it can. But its a slippery road to go down banning the saying of certain things. Unless you are all for a radical change in the very system of governance your country runs on, then you cannot overrule that cornerstone of democracy - the freedom of speech.
Lusi

Pro

Lusi forfeited this round.
Dann

Con

I don't think there's much more to be added.

Vote con
Lusi

Pro

Lusi forfeited this round.
Dann

Con

I win by default I guess
Posted by LegalizeLiberty 3 years ago
LegalizeLiberty
Is this debate mostly over if hate speech should be included in anti-discrimination laws?
Posted by Ragnar 3 years ago
Ragnar
Good luck on your first debate. I advise at least mentioning double standards on hate speech in your argument.