jlarris1
americanfascist

Is heavy metal satanic?

Started: 8/5/2014 Category: Music

jlarris1

Con

As you can see this certain topic, the question to ponder is heavy metal satanic?

As for my opinion, heavy metal is not satanic. Especially bands from the 80's. Mainly glam metal. Bands like these include Skid Row, Aerosmith, Def Leppard, and Ratt. And there are a lot of Christian heavy metal out there like Stryper and Deliverance. They can even go more to the extreme side of metal such as For Today and Slechtvalk. Heavy metal has been around ever since the late 60's and it has been an influence to most rock and heavy metal throughout America and Europe. But because of bands such as Black Sabbath and Kiss. All rock bands in that era has been marked satanic which is obviously dumb because if you listen to the music, there isn't one sign of evil inside the music. And everybody says that Kiss stands for kids in Satan's service. if it means that then I think it's an insult to Kiss.

I would love to have a civil debate about this subject. Keyword CIVIL. So be mature about it and have an open mind. Thanks!!
americanfascist

Pro

I argue as a heavy metal fan. A huge one at that.
First off, glam metal did not reflect the scene at the time, it reflected the corporate institution's attempt at commercializing metal.

Next, /heavy metal/ as a genre (the original, 1970s-1980s bands) is really inseparable from /hard rock/. So, I will be exempting this subgenre on those grounds.

Metal subculture (minus glam metal, as I said above, it did not reflect the scene) has always placed rebellion at the center. Heavy metal was extreme to early rockers, speed and power metal were extreme to heavy metallers, thrash was extreme to power and speed metallers, and so on for all metal subgenres. Starting at speed and power metal, Venom (which was influential in nearly every extreme metal subgenre) helped that extremity by adding satanic and 'evil' themes into their music. They are the most well known out of the /first wave black metal/ scene, which can be argued gave birth to thrash, death, second-wave black, and maybe even speed and power as Venom wasn't just a cultural but a musical force in the scene. There were already satanic themes in the doom metal scene.
jlarris1

Con

jlarris1 forfeited this round.
americanfascist

Pro

americanfascist forfeited this round.
jlarris1

Con

jlarris1 forfeited this round.
americanfascist

Pro

americanfascist forfeited this round.
Posted by George_Clinton 3 years ago
George_Clinton
I think the reason people think its satanic is because of the outfits, the symbols, and the song "highway to hell". But in reality there are a lot of different versions of metal, most of which aren't satanic.
Posted by doomswatter 3 years ago
doomswatter
You should ask the people claiming it. I once watched a documentary titled, "They Sold Their Souls for Rock and Roll" that made this very claim.
Posted by ArcTImes 3 years ago
ArcTImes
Why would someone claim that metal is satanic?