baneofthecivilized
Leaning

Is homeschooling more effective than traditional schooling methods?

baneofthecivilized

Pro

If you accept the debate, just type "I accept" in the first slot

May the best debater win.
baneofthecivilized

Pro

Homeschooling is more effective than traditional schooling methods because it allows for more personalized education and a broader variety of experiences.

Homeschooled students can work at their own pace. Unfortunately, the school system as it stands works for the average student. More academically challenged students suffer from not comprehending, and academically smart students suffer a worse fate: boredom. When I was looking at high schools, I went to look at prestigious private high school institutions. I was talking to the dean of one, prestigious private high school, and the dean told me that with my math level, I should
should not attend his school because they would not be able to teach me.

This was not even a bad high school. This was a prestigious private high school, and, while not nationally acclaimed, is known as a competitive high school by all in the community. Just imagine what a mediocre high school would have to say.
I don't mean to brag by these statements, but the fact the schools cannot accommodate my more advanced math level is a serious issue. It also means that if I were in this school, I would never have attained the knowledge level I possess now.

Now the student who is academically challenged has two problems. Firstly, they will have a hard time understanding the instruction, but also the instruction will be of a poorer quality than what would be received in the home education. The home education would provide a learning track to help the student absorb the lessons in a better manner. Likewise, the academically advanced student would not have to wait for classmates to catch-up; indeed he would be able to excel and go as far as possible in his studies.

Homeschooled students typically experience a larger variety of real-world scenarios. While proponents of a school system say that schooling gives students a sense of competition and responsibility, all of these things can also be executed in the homeschool setting. Homeschool students can still take rigorous coursework online or with a teacher in a group setting. When old enough, they can take college classes at physical institutions. This is a non-issue

In the real world, you are not forced to sit a desk, listening to someone talk about the quadratic formula. You apply the quadratic to whatever project you may be using it for. In middle school, I used trigonometry to create this work of programming art: https://www.khanacademy.org...

This is obviously not the kind of work a professional does. But I was able to apply stuff I had learned from my own math studies and applied it to my computer science studies. As for more professional work, many homeschooled students experience internships and research project. Because of their extra time, they are generally better able to perform in these scenarios and are often better qualified. I myself used to be a professional opera singer and I currently design and develop applications for small businesses and non-profits. If it wasn't for the extra time I could spend honing my abilities, I would have been extremely hard for me to do these things.

Now let's talk statistics. This infographic with sources at the bottom says it all: http://www.home-school.com...

Homeschooled students are well above the national average in all subject areas. They have higher standardized test scores and possess better life skills, such as communication and maturity. Obviously, homeschooling is not for everyone and has its downsides, like the need for one parent not to work, and the costs of materials. But as an educational system, the public school systems simply cannot compete. Remember this. Schools were initially created to make better factory workers and they work in a similar fashion. In today's day and age, the workforce does not require the rigid mechanical approach, rather, it requires a more creative one. However, the school systems have not accommodated for this, and with more material than ever to cover, the old approach is not affective.
Leaning

Con

Argument in favor of traditional schooling.

Home schooling takes away a standard for people to be held to.

While some people may excel while being homeschooled, that is more a congratulations to the person themselves than the system of homeschooling.

If one relies on the guardian to see to it that their ward is properly educated, it does not stand that they will always possess the good will or knowledge to choose the best course for their ward.
Also addressable is the fact that teaching can be a full time job which not all parents are able to give, or a problem of money which again not all are able to provide.
Lack of good will, knowledge, or resources would decrease the effectiveness of homeschooling.

The existence of public schools forces a minimum standard on all that they are still able to surpass should that be their true will.
While I doubt that children who are home schooled will be maladjusted socially. There are less opportunities to be had for social interaction and points of views at a traditional school than would be had if home schooled.
baneofthecivilized

Pro

My opponent says homeschooling takes away a standard for people to be held to. I would like to note that the purpose of the debate is whether homeschooling is more effective than traditional schooling methods. Where the bar should be set, or if there should be a bar is another debate, one I would gladly engage in.

My opponent says that while some people may excel while being homeschooled, that is more a congratulation to the person themselves than the system of homeschooling. This is a ridiculous claim, if only for the reason that it is unfounded. I will use myself as a personal example, though there are definitely others out there. When I was in school, in elementary school, I was said to have severe learning disabilities and was told that attending college would be insane and impossible. The year I quit school, I went 3 grades ahead in math and became an avid reader. In this case, as in many others, it was not the individual, but the environment that made the difference.

My opponent then states that "If one relies on the guardian to see to it that their ward is properly educated, it does not stand that they will always possess the goodwill or knowledge to choose the best course for their ward." This would be an excellent question if we were talking about the ethicality of homeschooling or whether it should be legal, and if my opponent wants to have that debate, then he is free to challenge me. I would love to do it. But this says nothing about the effectiveness, just whether it is a good idea.

"Lack of goodwill, knowledge, or resources would decrease the effectiveness of homeschooling." This is very true. But this is like saying that a cloudy day decreases the effectiveness of solar panels. That is obvious, but it doesn't diminish the effectiveness of solar panels in general. If one does not have the goodwill, knowledge, or resources, they should not attempt it. But it says nothing about whether it is more effective. I suppose I should have more specific (although I believe i was pretty clear) When I said more effective, I meant at teaching the material, not a more practical solution. That is a different debate I would be more than happy to do as either side.

"There are less (fewer) opportunities to be had for social interaction and points of views at a traditional school that would be had if homeschooled." This is not true. While schooled children are lectured in classes, homeschoolers are a) also being lectured, behaving like studious students, or b) in a more collaborative learning session. And homeschoolers do a lot of curricular activities outside of the classroom, in the real world, adding application and socialization.

The statistics show that homeschoolers have better comprehension, and learn to use their skills in a practical way.

--As a side note, sorry for making you wait so long on that last response. I had a busy week and almost forgot I had it.
Leaning

Con

The difficulty in setting a bar in homeschooling is part of what makes in less effective in my thinking. In public school all the students are brought together and administrators are better able to see to that all students are receiving the minimum education they should receive.
If students were spread every which way and homeschooled it could lead to lack of oversight by administrators.

You might have never reached the heights you enjoy now if you had stayed in school, do you really think that if all students in that school had been pulled out of it and been homeschooled, that overall they would have excelled in homeschooling more than if they had gone to a traditional school.

My opponent feels that peoples guardians, life situations, and finances have no effect on effectiveness, but that is entire crux on why homeschooling is less effective.

Is your argument is that homeschooling is more effective than traditional schooling, If the homeschooled has access to good parents, the finances to fund it well, the student is motivated.
Then yes home schooling can be more effective for that one student then traditional schooling is for people who do not have access to the same resources.

We have mandatory traditional schooling in America because home schooling proved to be ineffective. People could not always be trusted on to educate their children, or relied upon to have the resources for it.

If your argument is that homeschooling is more effective for the rich I would have to agree. But I refuse the thought that is overall effective for society.

Hmm, hope that isn't crazy talk which just missed the point of the argument.
Is the problem like the question is this blank the most effective? And people are unable to say yes because in certain situations certain blanks are better than other blanks.
baneofthecivilized

Pro

My opponent says the difficulty in setting a bar in homeschooling is part of what makes it less effective." This would be true, except we are arguing about which method is more effective at teaching the student. The language in the title "traditional schooling methods" clearly indicates that I am not talking about which would be better as a standard for minimum requirements. You simply cannot do this with homeschooling because it is a localized system. This is not a debate I would have started because you cannot set something to be the standard when there is no standardization. The language clearly indicates that I am referring to which is more effective at teaching students. The stats all point to homeschooling. http://www.home-school.com...

Also, with homeschooling, there are standardized tests one needs to take every year, in addition to a document stating the coursework the student is working on, that is submitted every quarter. While obviously, administrators have less knowledge about the student, the standardized test is enough for them to discern whether a student meets their requirements (they are the ones who inspect the test)

"Do you really think that if all students in that school had been pulled out of it and been homeschooled, that overall they would have excelled in homeschooling more than if they had gone to a traditional school?" Absolutely not. Students whose families are in a bad financial situation may find it impossible to homeschool. Various other circumstances and the nature of the student may make it impossible to homeschool. But for being more effective at teaching the student, homeschooling is almost always the better method.

"My opponent feels that peoples guardians, life situations, and finances have no effect on effectiveness, but that is entire crux on why homeschooling is less effective." If that is the entire crux, then you should never have joined this debate. Surely these things determine whether homeschooling is effective for the individual student, but we are talking about the methodology. This statement says nothing about whether homeschooling more effective than traditional schooling methods?

"Is your argument is that homeschooling is more effective than traditional schooling, If the homeschooled has access to good parents, the finances to fund it well, the student is motivated, then yes homeschooling can be more effective for that one student then traditional schooling is for people who do not have access to the same resources."

This one statement says it all. My opponent is not looking at whether the methodology is more effective, but whether the idea is more practical when applied as a standard. Homeschooling will never replace traditional schooling methods as a standard because homeschooling is not a standardized system. But the methods generally applied when homeschooling a student lead to a better comprehension of the subject matter, thus making them more effective.

"We have mandatory traditional schooling in America because homeschooling proved to be ineffective. People could not always be trusted on to educate their children, or relied upon to have the resources for it." No, we do not have traditional schooling because homeschooling proved to be ineffective. The amount of knowledge and resources for teaching that the average person possessed at the time was significantly less. Nowadays, we have online courses from universities, Khan Academy, which teaches almost math from K-12+, and bigger libraries with better information. When I took calculus, my parents didn't teach me. And also not for Algebras 1 and 2, Geometry, and Trigonometry. I taught myself using Khan Academy and tutored other children as well.

"If your argument is that homeschooling is more effective for the rich I would have to agree. But I refuse the thought that is overall effective for society." To address this point, rich is a highly subjective term that, from a monetary point of view, is hard to define. However, according to this study: https://nces.ed.gov..., the same percentage of homeschooled and non-homeschooled students lived in households with annual incomes of $50,000 or less (64 percent), as well as in other income brackets. As for whether it is a better solution for society, this is another debate entirely. But it is a more effective method, as illustrated by the statistics.

And, no none of your points are crazy talk, they just don't answer the question of the debate. And of course, for the individual, certain methods may be more effective due to financial situations. But as for the methodology, the stats show that homeschooling is more effective than traditional schooling methods.

Thank you for debating this topic with me. If you are interested in debating me again, feel free to challenge me on an issue. May the best debater win!
Leaning

Con

If homeschooling cannot be applied to all children and be more successful than public school, then it follows that homeschooling is less effective.

Even if home schooling can be more effective in certain isolated cases.

Longbows were considered a more effective weapon individually than crossbows but because of the requirements for training which caused longbows to be a specialized weapon.
Crossbows were turned to instead and declared a more effective weapon to equip armies with over time.

How do we reconcile these two thoughts what effective means?

In my opinion we apply it to what is more useful.
For education, would you call something more effective if a few individuals exceled but the rest were left floundering behind?
No. You would call something effective in education if it propagated the most education overall at a reasonable level, while leaving as few people behind as possible.

Homeschooling takes to much away from the regulation of school causing an even more random hit or miss whether any results will be shown or not than we see in public schools.
If you cannot count on something to preform in a reliable and consistent manner then you can hardly call it effective.
Posted by Leaning 6 months ago
Leaning
Bah, maybe I should not have taken argument. Still felt I had to stick with my disagreement on what effective meant, hard to backtrack.
Personally though sure, homeschooling probably is more effective than public school. Able to focus on one person with teaching receive more results, yeah.
But I don't know that's like saying a heavy chainsaw is more effective than an axe. Yeeesss, but still people have to be strong enough to cart around that chainsaw(Certain people doing better homeschooled)
Have to have the gas to power it (Money and infrastructure)

If you were thinking on effectiveness on those terms, kinda stacking the deck already.

Just musing out loud, sorry if sidewinded on argument.
Nothing said in comment section by Leaning has any bearing on debate voting.