goldenrod000
Elord

Is homework a waste of time/useless?

Elord

goldenrod000

Pro

To me, homework is a waste of time, and one reason why I believe this is because that same homework could easily be given to students in a funner, less stressful approach. For elementary school kids (and, for some, middle school kids), homework is very hard to do because it's boring and it seems stressful. If this homework was introduced in a game fashion (i.e. a board game, a website, etc.), students would probably favor this because games are good stress relievers. Many websites offer video games that are proven to be non-stressful and easy, and if this relaxing quality were to be introduced in an educational way, students would get a big kick out of it. Not only is this fun and stress-relieving, but students are educating themselves with knowledge. In conclusion, I believe that homework is a waste of time because it seems to be overshadowed by the fact that you can actually introduce the same topics covered by homework in a video game fashion that will attract and encourage elementary and middle school students to learn more.
Elord

Con

I'd like to define some terms before anything.
Homework- schoolwork assigned to be done outside the classroom
Useless- not serving the purpose or any purpose
http://dictionary.reference.com...
ttp://dictionary.reference.com...

My opponent makes the mistake of assuming that homework is just "very hard to do" and isn't fun. However these two concepts aren't mutually exculsive. Homework can be games and I'm assuming just because in Pro's situation this was not the case, doesn't mean that's true for all. I will try to refute is arguments nonetheless.

Refutations/Argument
1. You get good at games, instead of learning. Similarly, Lumosity claims to improve "neuroplasticity," with their games. However all the studies couldn't be repeated. New studies show that the users become familar with the game, rather than improving. Applying this to making games as homework, means that students are given the illusion of understanding when they are in fact just good at the game. No matter what claims Pro make (Pro has provided no evidence at all), if students aren't learning from it, there's no point. You go to school to learn and if it's through more "boring" approaches, then thats what should be done.

http://www.theguardian.com...;
goldenrod000

Pro

goldenrod000 forfeited this round.
Elord

Con

Extend all.
goldenrod000

Pro

goldenrod000 forfeited this round.
Elord

Con

Extend all. Vote Con!
Posted by Elord 2 years ago
Elord
No one is calling you stupid. They just said you forfeited, and not just some, but all the rounds. It's fine if you have other things but don't be angry when you lose since you didn't respond to anything.
Posted by goldenrod000 2 years ago
goldenrod000
Well, I've probably spread a bunch of crap on myself because I had more important things to do and this was my first debate anyways. Go ahead and keep on insulting me because I wasn't spot-on the first time. I might as well give the win to Elord because there's no chance anyone's gonna vote for me, especially since I forfeited a few rounds. So before you call me stupid somewhere in that vote of yours, look at this comment and think "should I really be harsh to someone who's only just beginning debate.org"?
Vote Placed by dsjpk5 2 years ago
dsjpk5
goldenrod000ElordTied
Reasons for voting decision: Ff
Vote Placed by Midnight1131 2 years ago
Midnight1131
goldenrod000ElordTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro used no sources, and forfeited, so those 2 categories go to Con. Con also made very convincing arguments, that weren't refuted by Pro. And Con was also able to refute Pro's entire first round, and pro couldn't do the same to con because pro forfeited the rest of the debate.