Is homework helpful or harmful?

Homework is harmful because not only do students lose sleep but it prevents students from what they like doing and causes unnecessary stress levels

Hello. I will argue that homework is helpful overall.

Homework may not be pleasant at the time, but its long-term benefits are undeniable. The main reason teachers assign homework is to compliment the material being taught in class, but it does much more than that for the students.

The practice of completing homework ingrains certain skills into students that will surely help them succeed later in life. Though they may not consciously realize it, homework reinforces habits such as
organization, preparation and setting priorities. After enough time, students will adopt a mindset that keeps them aware of what is due next, a mental checklist of sorts.

My opponent states that homework prevents students from being able to do what they enjoy, which has been true at some point in time for every student to ever attend school. If a student learns to finish his homework sooner than later, he/she will have time to do what they want afterwards. Likewise, when these students are adults with careers, they will have to learn to set priorities for themselves and draw the line between what they want to do versus what they need to do.

Con also writes that homework prevents students from getting enough sleep. While many students will blame their teachers for overwhelming them with homework that is all due the same day, in reality students are usually to blame for their lack of sleep. If a student procrastinates on homework until the night before it's due, that was a situation which they had control over but decided not to take action. Usually, after enough of these experiences students will learn not to wait until the last minute to take care of their homework and instead begin working earlier than later. This is another skill that carries on into adulthood, whether it is learning to pay taxes on time or buying Christmas presents for your family earlier than the
24th of December.

Homework may be inconvenient at times, but it provides students with a skillset that will benefit them throughout their lives.

I look forward to my opponent's response.

Hello thank you for accepting my debate.
But here in my school we have 10 periods (classes) which means we have about 8 classes that we have homework in because the other 2 are our electives (p.e,art,family foods...etc...)
yes of course not every teacher gives us homework every day but when we do we PILES of homework due the next day.
I play basketball and have to go to practices. So after my games/practice i have to go home and do all my homework and stay up really late. Which also mean that I am extra tired in the morning, causing me to fail in learning the next day.
"Also, many students stay up all hours of the night trying to finish their homework, only to fall asleep and not pay attention during the actual school day. They feel pressured to be the best and to eventually get into the top colleges."

My opponent writes that many students who partake in school sports have less time to complete their homework when they get home. I understand what Con is saying. But, one of the most important skills I alluded to in round one that homework helps students master was time management. The number one priority of any student in school is to get an education; therefore, organizing themselves in a way that gives them sufficient time to complete their homework should be their main concern. By the final class of the day, a student knows how much homework they will have for that night. If one has a lot due the next day, that student should skip sports practice in order to complete their homework and be able to get enough sleep.

While skipping practice is never fun and can result in removal from the team after enough absences, education must come first. Especially if a student plans on going to college. Also, if a student is able to get their homework done sooner than later, they can always meet up with friends over the weekend to play sports and have some fun.

As I said in round one, homework can be extremely inconvenient at times. But what matters at the end of the day is the way in which it prepares students for life beyond school. It reinforces fundamental life skills such as "self-discipline, time management and research skills" (

Homework is like being fed vegetables as a kid; you hate it initially, but its benefits make you stronger over time.

Yes I agree with you about its important for the students are going to college.
"But Students in these schools complete an average about 3.1 hours of homework each night. Students who did more hours of homework experienced greater behavioral engagement in school, but they also experienced also more academic stress, physical health problems, and lack of balance in their lives."
Homework causes the students to dislike school even more because even after 8 hours in school learning , you have to go home and spend even more time in learning.

I'm not sure where my opponent got that quote that students receive 3.1 hours of homework per night. Also my opponent did not say which country that number was associated with, as workload varies around the world.

The advantages of homework overwhelmingly outweigh the annoyances. The completion of homework is strongly associated with improved test scores and overall academic achievement, as well as the reinforcement of practical, long-term skills that people utilize throughout their lives.

Homework is extremely beneficial.

I thank my opponent for debating with me.
Posted by diarrhea_of_a_wimpy_kid 8 months ago
Being broke causes unnecessary stress levels. Getting fired from your job for not doing your job when your boss assigns something causes unnecessary stress levels.
Posted by Mother_of_GabeN 8 months ago
i agree with JayShay. Homework is also pretty much free points to help boost your grade if you flunk a test or quiz.