RandomMechaFan
SupaDudz

Is humanity pathetic?

RandomMechaFan

Pro

I would like to state that humanity is pathetic.

My reasoning is that most of the things we as humans do, could usually fit the dictionary definition of pathetic.

adjective
1.
causing or evoking pity, sympathetic sadness, sorrow, etc.; pitiful; pitiable:
a pathetic letter; a pathetic sight.

Most of the things we do are so that we can stay alive and/or benefit. Those things don't really affect the bigger picture and are more often then not, quite harmful.
SupaDudz

Con

I agree to your definition of pathetic. Humanity has not been pathetic at all. Modern humanity is not pathetic, let alone humanity in the past. Here are my arguments

1. Everything we have done has affected the big picture. From philosophy, technology, mathematics, science, languages, wars, and etc. we have all implied somewhat in our life. For example, from Copernicus theory about the sun being the center of the universe, we were able to develop the Milky Way galaxy and many other galaxies that were found. We found those with telescopes that were invented by humanity. The big picture HAS been effected. It is for our survival, that is simply so us humans don't go extinct. The big picture is so that we won't be the generation that end's the world

2. We have influenced the arts and ways of life. From arts we developed new brushes, new styles for the human eye to enjoy. People have achieved art that pleases people. Even know, we have art in YouTube content, photo editing, photoshop, drawings on sketchpad, and developing new technology that betters humanity and makes the human need less that what it is.

3. Humans are imperfect. We all make mistakes in some point of our life. You can not say we are pathetic for making a mistake. We have made mistakes for ages. From dropping bombs on Nagasaki, Holocaust, slavery, Christian Persecution, and torture. Those things have not gotten in the way of humanities full stride.

4. Selfish acts cause evil and suffering in humanity. Think about it. Why did you not study for your final exam and instead played Fortnight on your XBOX One. Because it was funner to do that than to study. What is the effect, you get a F on your final and your grades goes down. If all humans were selfish, we wouldn't be where we are.

5. Modern Technology. There is no need here. We take technology for appreciation. We wouldn't be typing out our argument's at this certain moment of our life if it weren't for technology. How was technology developed, oh wait, humans. If you are typing on a computer saying how pathetic humanity is, well think about who made the computer so you can type this.

6. If humanity is pathetic, why do charities exist? Selfishness leads to evil and suffering which leads to patheticness. Why do we have millions of charities that donate to the needy? Are those people considered pathetic who want to help a struggling person. Think about it.

7. What about the mentally challenge, diseased, veterans, and impoverished? People who have died for our country and are in need of urgent care are pathetic. There innocence is pathetic. They are selfish for dying, not having enough money, or having a disease that is incurable. There pathetic. In that claim, you offended a lot of the people in the world.

8. We are humans, yet you don't call yourself pathetic. If you really think humans are pathetic, what about you? If you say yes, then you are selfish human. If you say no, then you prove my claim. False logic in this claim.

CONCLUDE
We have achieved great success in not only our life, but human life. To call all of it pathetic is blasphemous!

I leave with a quote for the judges to think about

"Today I choose life. Every morning when I wake up I can choose joy, happiness, negativity, pain... To feel the freedom that comes from being able to continue to make mistakes and choices - today I choose to feel life, not to deny my humanity but embrace it." -Kevyn Aucoin

I thank my opponent and look forward to what he says
RandomMechaFan

Pro

First of all I must say, those are some pretty solid arguments, My hat goes off to you! However I still stand by my opinion that humanity (including myself) is quite pathetic.

In your first point you state that "Everything we have done has affected the big picture" there are a few things wrong with that statement, for example what would us having this debate right now, our first two arguments haven't done anything to the "big picture". Earth itself is an incredibly insignificant spec when compared to the rest of the universe. Continuing my argument, most of the things that we "invented" were just us discovering already existing laws of nature, and applying them to match OUR pathetic wants. In the end humans are just another animal, who are we to be all high and mighty?

Most of your other points stem from the first, so I don't really feel the need to counter them considering I've already countered the first one.

However I would like to add one last statement to my argument...

In some of your later arguments you seem to go on about how humans are such great creatures. However when you consider that most of the things we do are done to benefit ourselves in some way, even things that one would consider selfless since we do those kind of things mainly because they make ourselves feel better as people...

Well that concludes my argument for round two, I hope you all enjoyed it.

(Just out of curiosity, how does me thinking I'm pathetic make me selfish?)
SupaDudz

Con

Thank you for commending my arguments I made! I certainly commend yours as well. But we are countering each other, so therefore I will have disagree with what you say.

1 CLAIM
You are referring to the "big picture" as the universe as a whole. You did not define yourself therefore I am left confused. The big picture doesn't refer to space as humanity exists on Earth as of what we know. The big picture I am referring to is the Earth and it's future. The laws of nature that were used are the reasons why humanity is so great. How did humans interpret these laws of nature as you described. We then apply these laws people noticed and took them into consideration about how we can use them in the real world and improve. Throughout countless times, we took those laws of nature DISCOVERED by these peoples, and used them to help us in our lifespan. We are not more than just an animal. We are able to cognitively think things out with solutions. We are also able to communicate in a way that can be understood by other animals as well. When we call our dog to come over, we are training to adapt to the language we have learned and taught. Are want's are not pathetic, they are needed and the want's can benefit not only humanity itself, but other life forms on the miracle of Earth

I don't seem to understand how my argument's are stemmed to this first argument where you clearly stated
"In your first point you state that "Everything we have done has affected the big picture" there are a few things wrong with that statement, for example what would us having this debate right now, our first two arguments haven't done anything to the "big picture". Earth itself is an incredibly insignificant spec when compared to the rest of the universe. Continuing my argument, most of the things that we "invented" were just us discovering already existing laws of nature, and applying them to match OUR pathetic wants. In the end humans are just another animal, who are we to be all high and mighty?"

My 4th argument does not link to this claim at all because you do not state why evil and suffering exist because of pathetic behaviour, and how if we are pathetic it would have led to our demise already. Since you say nothing about that or don't directly address it, I leave it as unanswered and a point for me.

LAST ARG MADE.
The fact we are capable in doing things for our benefit is amazing at that. The fact that people have the ability and the mind to do these things proves how not pathetic we are. Morally speaking. Charities would not exist if humans were pathetic were your definition states.

"causing or evoking pity, sympathetic sadness, sorrow, etc.; pitiful; pitiable:
a pathetic letter; a pathetic sight."

If humans started charities, is helping a needy person pathetic in this manner? It is not. So humans make these charities for the help of other people, then how are they pathetic for helping people. No obviously. If you state charities start from their own suffering, well a lot of people would have these.

CONCLUDE
Humanity is not pathetic. It has affected everything positivity

Waiting arguments.
Posted by BryanMullinsNOCHRISTMAS2 6 months ago
BryanMullinsNOCHRISTMAS2
Oh boy!
Posted by SupaDudz 7 months ago
SupaDudz
does that affect
Posted by RandomMechaFan 7 months ago
RandomMechaFan
Oh heck I accidentally said round two instead of round three... Silly me!
Posted by canis 7 months ago
canis
"Is humanity pathetic?"
1. No then the human being would not have evolved. 2. Yes. We evolved into pathetic thinkers.
Posted by SupaDudz 7 months ago
SupaDudz
I understand that, but that triggered an arms race for bombs which led to the nuclear arsenal. Since that happened, we learned not to test new weapons that can devastate
Posted by Debating_Horse 7 months ago
Debating_Horse
Alright, my stance with SupaDudz's adding "From dropping bombs on Nagasaki", here is what I have to say:

The bombs were dropped on those two cities in the attempt to end World War II, the other proposed plan would cost too many soldiers's lives, in addition to my comment, the Imperial Japanese killed more than 100,000 innocent civilians. Let us remember that the Japanese government still denies the existence of the notorious "Unit 731" the unit in which many Japanese scientists performed atrocious experiments on innocent civilians, I think the bombings were well deserved for the Japanese for their highly repugnant crimes against humanity. Leaflets were dropped to warn Japanese civilians of the oncoming bombings, but the Japanese government made the civilians stay, and they suffered the terrible price.