LogicalVoice
Anarcho-Socialist

Is immigration in the UK a good thing or a bad thing?

LogicalVoice

Pro

I will be arguing the point the the arrival of immigrants to the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland is a good thing on both a social and economical level. My opponent will be arguing against the points mentioned above.
Definitions:
Immigration: The movement of people from one country to another
"Good thing": The benefits outweigh the drawbacks
"Bad things": Vice versa
Anarcho-Socialist

Con

Hello, pro, and thank you for posting this debate topic. I have strong feelings about immigration and I have been waiting to give my opinion on this for quite some time. I will argue mainly against any supposed social benefits, although I will try to argue economically as well, although I am not as educated in economics.

I will be arguing from a very pro-European, (White,) pro-British view.

Good luck!
LogicalVoice

Pro

LogicalVoice forfeited this round.
Anarcho-Socialist

Con

Arguments extended.
LogicalVoice

Pro

Terribly sorry about the last round.
Immigration is a good thing, for both social and economic reasons. I will break my arguments up into different sections for the ease of rebuttal.

Economic:
Immigration helps with a declining UK population, bringing more people of a working age into the country and thus increasing employment levels. This has a knock-on effect on government taxation, as higher levels of employment and more people paying income tax and other government taxation means a higher revenue figure to be used on expenditure projects such as the NHS, infrastructure, benefits and public sector salaries. Without the inflow of people from the European Union and further afield, the UK would face a drop in the amount of people able to work, the general standard of living would decrease as the government would have less money to spend, and businesses would face less money in the circular flow.
Immigration also aids in the production of jobs as well as the taking up of them. Immigrants often open their own businesses, especially when moving with family. These businesses can then in turn employ British workers, further contributing to the employment figure and standard of living within the country.

Social:
Immigrants can offer to the UK a variety of different cultural treasures such as different foods, clothing styles, values and music. If I were to ask you what your favourite food was, and then ask you to look at the origins of that dish, would it be 100% British? Without immigration, things such as Pizza, Hip Hop, Denim jeans, T shirts, Wine, Vodka and Cigarettes would be harder to come by. Historically, Immigration has also lead to a greater acceptance and tolerance of other people's views and beliefs, as seen in areas such as New York during mass immigration from Italy, Ireland and Israel.
Anarcho-Socialist

Con

Don't worry about it, it happens.

Immigration is not a good thing because the social disadvantages greatly outweigh any positive aspects of immigration. Also, the economic benefits of immigration are few and far between, with many negative aspects.

I feel that firstly, we must establish a difference between European immigration and third-world or non-European immigration.

European immigration will be defined as any moving of people in the European Union of European descent.(White)

Third-World or non-European will be defined as either A). Immigration of peoples from commonly known third-world countries, (Example: Central and South America, Africa, the Middle East, and South Asia and parts of East Asia,) or B). Immigration from countries that are not third-world but are not from within the European Union. (Example: The US, Japan, or Russia.)

I will only be arguing against third world or non-European immigration.

So let's start with the economic positive and negative aspects.

"Immigration helps with a declining UK population, bringing more people of a working age into the country and thus increasing employment levels."

We must now address the issue of culture and native populations. If a massive amount of non-European, or in this case non-British, immigrants were to come into the UK, at some point they would become the majority cultural and ethnic group, therefore affecting laws, religious values, possibly language, and eventually the UK entirely. So non-British immigration does not really bring up the native UK population.

So, if non-British third-world immigrants come into UK and bring up the working population, they in essence take job opportunities from native Brits, who the British government is supposed to govern in favour of. Just to clarify, I am talking strictly about ethnic Brits and culture. I am not referring to British citizenship. So it can only really benefit non-Brits, which is bad for British people.

"the UK would face a drop in the amount of people able to work, the general standard of living would decrease"

Immigration almost never brings up the standard of living. If you think about it logically, it becomes clear. People from third-world countries typically emigrate because their standard of living is low. But they are inclined to still posses a lower standard of living, because that is how they grew up. So the overall standard of living can only go down in the UK, not up.

"Immigration also aids in the production of jobs as well as the taking up of them. Immigrants often open their own businesses, especially when moving with family. These businesses can then in turn employ British workers, further contributing to the employment figure and standard of living within the country."

The only objection I have to this is this: Humans have a very tribal mentality. We want to help our own first, then anyone else that comes along. Of course, I can not prove this, but every Human feels it in them. This is why, if you see an immigrant owned shop, they will typically hire their own countrymen to work for them, not the other way around.

"Immigrants can offer to the UK a variety of different cultural treasures such as different foods, clothing styles, values and music. If I were to ask you what your favourite food was, and then ask you to look at the origins of that dish, would it be 100% British? Without immigration, things such as Pizza, Hip Hop, Denim jeans, T shirts, Wine, Vodka and Cigarettes would be harder to come by. Historically, Immigration has also lead to a greater acceptance and tolerance of other people's views and beliefs, as seen in areas such as New York during mass immigration from Italy, Ireland and Israel."

Notice what you said there. Immigrants CAN offer cultural treasures. That it not a guarantee. Many times, third-world immigrants bring higher crime rates, higher drug use, and a lower focus on education. Only occasionally do immigrants add something to the native culture that is positive. Also, notice that most of the things that you listed are of European origin, not non-European or third-world.
LogicalVoice

Pro

LogicalVoice forfeited this round.
Anarcho-Socialist

Con

Vote con!
Posted by LogicalVoice 2 years ago
LogicalVoice
If you are willing to ignore the Pro mind set and not simply agreed then I see little problem with that.
Posted by UtherPenguin 2 years ago
UtherPenguin
I would like to accept this debate but would you mind if I play the role of "devil's advocat" as I agree with Pro but am still interested in the debate.