Thom144244
Ratcatcher

Is internet good or bad for the world

Thom144244

Pro

Our world is impacted by the internet, it connects people around the world, if it is facebook, instagram, facetime or skype it lets people chat, tell people what they are doing and much more
Ratcatcher

Con

The internet is a tool. Just like a hammer can be used to build something, it can also be used to beat somebody to the ground. Just as a hatchet can be used to split wood, so too can it be used to split skulls. The internet is no different. Not only can it be used to research enlightening topics, or even debate those topics with others of a worthy intelligence, but it can also be used by the adulterous husband to ruin his marriage. It provides opportunities to make charitable donations and offers pirated movies, music, and media.

With that being established, the question "is internet good or bad for the world" is really asking "is the internet being used to benefit the world or hinder it?"

For the purposes of this debate, I categorize the "internet" by having three major uses: Research, Acquisition, and Media. Research, being articles, wikis, and other means of gathering information; Acquisition, being obtaining something through the means of downloading such as music, movies, games, books, and other programs; and Media, being social websites such as Facebook or Twitter, e-mails, web chats, chat rooms, and other forms of communication requiring a connection to the internet.

Research is used to obtain information in many ways. However, if I can prove that the use of the internet for research is misused, then I can prove that this major use of the internet is "bad for the world." According to the website Wikipedia, the rate of change on any given article is 10 edits per second. [1] It is a well known fact that Wikipedia is editable by any given person, be they intelligent or not. So how many of these edits are mistakes? According to a study made by "Nature," a journal of science, "[It] averages out to 2.92 mistakes per article for Britannica and 3.86 for Wikipedia." [2] That means that with every article you read on Wikipedia, there is a really good chance that not all of the facts are true. What a detriment to society the internet can be when only 80% of the information we read is true! Wikipedia isn't the only culprit. According to an article on "Covenant Eyes," a conglomeration of studies found that "68% of young men and 18% of young women view porn online at least once a week." [3] You may notice that all of my citations are found on websites within the internet. While it is true that I am using the internet for my research, I maintain that either I am properly using the internet to prove its misuse. Otherwise, in failing this argument, I have proven that my personal misuse of the internet is bad for this world. In upcoming rounds, I continue to bring up my points, as well as refute further points that my opponent brings up.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org...
[2] http://www.nature.com...
[3] http://www.covenanteyes.com...
Thom144244

Pro

ok wow you have persuaded me to think otherwise well done!
Ratcatcher

Con

Although my opponent has chosen not to debate further, I still feel obligated to finish my case. I will do it as quickly as possible, and with as few sources as possible.

Acquisition, in this case, is the use of the internet to obtain software or other files. While many people download free trial software, I can prove that piracy (free acquisition of something that was intended to be paid for) has been a major detriment to the United States alone. Not only that, but I can prove that the detriment was ten years ago (2005), back when the internet was much less popular.

The following statistics have been gathered about piracy: [1]
- The U.S. Trade Representative estimated that the U.S. economy lost between $200 and $250 billion in 2005 due to piracy.
- In 2005, piracy in motion pictures cost the U.S. economy an estimated 141,030 jobs.
- Employees in motion picture and related industries lost an estimated $1.903 billion in earnings as a result of motion picture piracy.
- It is estimated that in 2005, motion picture piracy cost U.S. federal, state and local governments $837 million in tax revenues.
- In light of the the nation's huge PC market, pirated software in the U.S. cost the industry $8.4 billion in profits in 2010 alone.

And, finally, to prove that piracy is more popular than legal downloads:
- A new study has revealed that more than half of all computer users had committed some form of content piracy. [2]

[1] http://thefightagainstinternetpiracy.weebly.com...
[2] http://www.webpronews.com...
Thom144244

Pro

Thom144244 forfeited this round.
Ratcatcher

Con

Ratcatcher forfeited this round.
Thom144244

Pro

Thom144244 forfeited this round.
Ratcatcher

Con

Ratcatcher forfeited this round.
Posted by Ratcatcher 2 years ago
Ratcatcher
That's it? You aren't going to push for a further debate? Not even a little?
Posted by Aerogant 2 years ago
Aerogant
You can tell a lot by someone's thoughts what they are for and against. Learn basic psychology.
Posted by Aerogant 2 years ago
Aerogant
dsjpk, can you not understand context? He doesn't have to say "bad" or "good", just because you don't understand how to read something within its context.
Posted by dsjpk5 2 years ago
dsjpk5
So are you saying it's bad or good?