SketchyColour
lyokowarri0r

Is is worth going to college before work?

lyokowarri0r

SketchyColour

Pro

It is worth going to college because it gives you a broader perspective of the world and gives you a direction in life
lyokowarri0r

Con

I accept your challenge. The resolution is pretty vague. I will interpret that your pro position believes that college before work is always worth it for every person. I do not believe this. You mentioned a broader perspective and a direction in life. Two very important things. But to say that all colleges give all students a broader perspective is completely false. Not only is every college different but also are the students. A more liberal or conservative college such as The Ohio State and Notre Dame(first two to pop in my head) will only narrow you view of the world. You will live in a environment that consistently challenges you or up votes your every word. Certain students go aboard during college and some stay for research projects. Both giving two different narrow views of the world. College is not to broaden your view, it is to focus it. We go for a major to better ourselves in life. But the 2008 economic crash proves that a Masters and psychology will not save you. Also college is touted as a freeing experience, where we get to be our own person. The opposite of a direction. Some people really do need that discipline and college does not offer it like the military or a skilled job will do.

I look forward to your rebuttal. I am sorry for my rant like text.
SketchyColour

Pro

My argument claims most people lets say 80% benefit from it. I cannot believe your examples, as you provide no proof of why these colleges give a narrower perspective. Undergraduate experience exposes a person to various fields of study as in most colleges, it is compulsory to take subjects from different departments. Moreover colleges house top experts from every field and so you have a direct exposure to various aspects. Such an experience would not have been possible without a college. Furthermore dedicated study during college provides an exponential growth in knowledge of a person and this knowledge can be useful for the rest of life in various ways. This broader perspective is useful for life as life doesn't turn out to be the monotonous. Furthermore college experience makes one interact with social group of his age which makes a person a social entity. Furthermore while some skills do not necessarily require college, a college experience gives the person a broader perspective of life which can enable a person to function properly in various aspects of life. A recent study shows that people with college degrees are much likely to find jobs than those without it. Thus it is more possible for a person to succeed with a college degree
lyokowarri0r

Con

The National Student Clearinghouse reports that 55 percent of first-time undergraduates who matriculated in the fall of 2008 finished a degree within six years, versus 56.1 percent of those who began in fall 2007. Your 80 percent threshold has been busted. Most colleges expect you to start taking classes in the major you are planning to go into. If that may be engineer of some sort, then switching into that major is rather difficult because that it demands more classes or other classes then other majors. Furthermore the whole point of college is to narrow our view into a set of mind for a career. I would also like to change the focus to a more concrete reasons why colleges are or are not worth it. For the most part, people go to college to get a higher paying job. But at what cost? I am a senior in high school and at this moment I am thinking of a computer science degree at The Ohio State University. I have a high act and average GPA. Odds are in my favor to not only be accepted but also excel at college. My economic state would warrant 4 years of college without any loans. But I am also looking at my scholarships to help with cost. Now someone in a different school district or a different race, economic standing, and academic background could have a much harder time being accepted into college and also to pay for it. According to the US Congress Joint Economic Committee, approximately 60% of 2011 college graduates have student loan debt balances equal to 60% of their annual income. To these people, college may not be worth it. It may be much more advantages to go straight into a skill/trade job or to join military. Both would give work experience, give needed social interaction skills, and in the case of the military, broaden your view of the world. I look forward to our 3rd round.
SketchyColour

Pro

SketchyColour forfeited this round.
lyokowarri0r

Con

Well....I was not expecting no response. Darn. Well that's all folks!
Posted by SketchyColour 2 years ago
SketchyColour
I'll take the opposite of whatever position you want to take
Posted by SketchyColour 2 years ago
SketchyColour
I'll take the position that its worth going to college
Posted by asi14 2 years ago
asi14
I just have one question: which side do you take, that it's good to go to college before work, or it's not? If you won't decide for certain, then I'll take the point that it's good to go to college before work.
Vote Placed by Greg4586 2 years ago
Greg4586
SketchyColourlyokowarri0rTied
Reasons for voting decision: I was actually enjoying the debate and I liked the topic, however Pro forfeited his last round so the debate goes to con for conduct.